• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Enter Controlled airspace heading 090 degrees

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Right on, ackattacker. All great points.

FAA Order 7110.65S, ATC Handbook, paragraph 4-3-2, in excerpt:

c. Departure Procedures.
1. Specify direction of takeoff/turn or initial heading/azimuth to be flown after takeoff as follows:
(a) Locations with Airport Traffic Control Service- Specify these items as necessary.
(b) Locations without Airport Traffic Control Service, but within a Class E surface area- specify these items if necessary. Obtain/solicit the pilot's concurrence concerning these items before issuing them in a clearance.
NOTE-
Direction of takeoff and turn after takeoff can be obtained/solicited directly from the pilot, or relayed by an FSS, dispatcher, etc., as obtained/solicited from the pilot.
(c) At all other airports- Do not specify direction of takeoff/turn after takeoff. If necessary to specify an initial heading/azimuth to be flown after takeoff, issue the initial heading/azimuth so as to apply only within controlled airspace.

Aeronautical Information Manual, paragraph 5-5-14:

5-5-14. Instrument Departures
a. Pilot.
1. Prior to departure considers the type of terrain and other obstructions on or in the vicinity of the departure airport.
2. Determines if obstruction avoidance can be maintained visually or that the departure procedure should be followed.
3. Determines whether a departure procedure and/or DP is available for obstruction avoidance.
4. At airports where IAPs have not been published, hence no published departure procedure, determines what action will be necessary and takes such action that will assure a safe departure.

b. Controller.
1. At locations with airport traffic control service, when necessary, specifies direction of takeoff, turn, or initial heading to be flown after takeoff.
2. At locations without airport traffic control service but within Class E surface area when necessary to specify direction of takeoff, turn, or initial heading to be flown, obtains pilot's concurrence that the procedure will allow the pilot to comply with local traffic patterns, terrain, and obstruction avoidance.
3. Includes established departure procedures as part of the ATC clearance when pilot compliance is necessary to ensure separation.

Last edited:
Avbug is a jack!@#

I was recently laid off. When I posted on Corporate I also accidently posted on Charter. This was AVBUGS nice private message to me.

"You might consider confining your post to one forum. Spamming multiple forums with the same post only makes it annoying."

Thanks Dad/AVBUG for setting me straight! To everyone else, very sorry for being annoying and wasting your time with the SPAM!

Good day all! Except AVBUG, you seem like a real stick in the mud!!

Oh yeah, Avbug if you don’t want to read something twice don’t click on it twice and don’t PM people with stupid comments, it gets real annoying.

I'd think so too, but IDK. Like paul says, uncontrolled airspace is just that, uncontrolled (hence the typical clearance of "entering controlled airspace..."), and it seems like that clearance was pushing the boundaries. (Hey, maybe avbug can come on here and tell us how we're all morons for even discussing it. :))

Thank you master for your words of wisdom!

QUOTE=avbug;1821640]Don't post stupidly, and you won't need to be reminded.[/QUOTE]

Hi all. New guy, first post. I can see this thread is pretty ancient, but exactly this scenario happened to me a week ago.

Departure airport: KDLZ
WEather: CAVU, but I was practicing IFR departure from an uncontrolled airport fr my own proficiency
Airspace: KDLZ is Category E starting at 700 AGL
Runway in use: 10 busy VFR traffic pattern

I called Columbus aproach for a Clearance and received this:

Cleared as Filed, enter controlled airspace direct ROD, climb and maintain 3000, expect 6000 10 minutes after departure...etc.

Now, "direct ROD" is about a 190 degree turn from takeoff heading.

My belief is that I enter "controlled airspace" in this case Class E, as soon as I pass 700 AGL.

What does ATC expect me to actually DO? Remain below 700 AGL until I'm on a heading/course direct to ROD?

Seems to me that in VFR with a busy pattern, that's madness. Seems to me in actual IFR, it's madness to level off below 700 AGL, whether in IMC there or VMC there, to complete this turn "to enter controlled airspace" on the directed course.

Again: question is: what does the Controller expect me to actually DO?

thanks.

Eagle915

Latest resources

Back