Enter Controlled airspace heading 090 degrees

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Checks

The other day I departed an uncontrolled field via runway 27 and the clearance I received from ATC said "enter controlled airspace heading 090". Controlled airspace started at 700ft agl. In retrospect there was no way I was going to be able to depart runway 27, climb to 400ft agl prior to turning and being on a 090 heading prior to 700ft. Nothing was said by ATC when I checked in at 1500ft agl and I said I was turning to a 090 heading.
Was I wrong to not be on the 090 heading at 700ft agl(controlled airspace)? What do you guys think?

That's not always possible, terrain, obstructions, etc...

You should of said unable with the request and let the controller again know the departure runway.

Dumb question, so forgive me: Are you sure the instruction wasn't "entering controlled airspace fly heading 090"?

No, the actual clearance was "Enter controlled airspace heading 090". After looking at the Air Traffic Control Order I think the controller just used the wrong wording. I least that's what I "think".

No, the actual clearance was "Enter controlled airspace heading 090". After looking at the Air Traffic Control Order I think the controller just used the wrong wording. I least that's what I "think".
As far as I know this is a legal clearance. I had a CFI who was a former ATCer. I asked him about this one day, years ago, and he said that ATC cannot give you a clearance (heading, altitude, fix) while you are in uncontrolled (class G) airspace. That is why they phrase it like this.

Just a reminder it is up to the PIC to determine if he can accept a clearnce from ATC. You are the final authority. Just a reminder, sometimes we forget that it isn't ATC flying the plane.

As far as if you did anything wrong. I guess by the letter of the law you did. But like you said, no one seemed to care. Next time I'd just explain that you are unable and tell him what you can do.

I'd think so too, but IDK. Like paul says, uncontrolled airspace is just that, uncontrolled (hence the typical clearance of "entering controlled airspace..."), and it seems like that clearance was pushing the boundaries. (Hey, maybe avbug can come on here and tell us how we're all morons for even discussing it. :))

I don't think anyone's incorrect for discussing it, but it's also hard to address the clearance without having heard it verbatim.

Given the accounting here and the inability to meet the clearance, the pilot who receives the clearance has a duty to seek clarification, and ultimately not accept the clearance. If you can't do it and accept it, it's all on you.

By regulation, we're required to seek clarification of a clearance any time there is any doubt.

Well, if they DID use the wrong wording, it's a widespread error...I've gotten that wording all over the country (except the east coast, where I've never been to an airport in uncontrolled airspace ;))

This is a common clearance. The TERPS and the way the airspace is protected for your departure from an uncontrolled field give you a pretty wide margin for maneuvering vis. a vis. aircraft seperation, which is all the controller really cares about. The gist of it is that the controller wants you flying 090 as soon as is reasonable after departure and taking into account any required Obstacle DP's, standard rate turns etc. In fact you are obligated in IMC conditions to comply with the Obstacle DP first and the clearance second so long as you are not in radar contact.

No different then you're cruising along heading south and the controller tells you "fly heading 360". Well obviously it's going to take you a minute or so to get turned around. You are not in violation of the clearance during that time unless you fail to initiate the turn.

The words "enter controlled airspace" or "entering controlled airspace" simply reflect the fact that you are uncontrolled up to that point and the controller cannot legally issue a clearance inside uncontrolled airspace. As soon as you cross the boundary into class E (or whatnot) then you are "controlled" and the clearance takes effect. At that point you should be maneuvering to comply with the clearance.

More to the point, it would be foolish and unsafe to stop your climb at 700 AGL simply to get turned around to 090.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back