• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Enjoy your medical JB no voters.

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Ask a certain chief in JFK. Heck, even the PVC has insinuated they are going to do this. I didn't do the latest survey but I read the questions. It was even in there. Remember the question that asked if we are aware the company plans on instituting a HDCP?

What is HDCP. Google didn't give me much.

What is HDCP. Google didn't give me much.

Search for High Deductible Health Plan or look up the "Safeway plan", Safeway being the grocery store chain.

Basically it entails low premiums but sky high, no pun intended, deductibles. More akin to catastrophic coverage, although not quite as bad.

Last edited:
Search for High Deductible Health Plan or look up the "Safeway plan", Safeway being the grocery store chain.

Basically it entails low premiums but sky high, no pun intended, deductibles. More akin to catastrophic coverage, although not quite as bad.

Actually, this will be great for JetBlue, the pilots, and the country. I have heard COUNTLESS republicans say that this is the way to get healthcare costs down.

We should all be happy to get a HDHP.

*IF* there's an option for a HDHP that has, say, a $5000 deductible with 100% covered above that, and the company contributes much of that into a HSA that is pretax and rolls over year to year, I'd be happy to do it. I don't really want or need a prepaid medical plan that covers everything; I just need insurance so that I'm not destitute if something really bad happens (cancer, heart attack, transplant, ICU, etc.) I couldn't care less about preventive care, drug rehab, sex reassignment, etc., etc.

*IF* there's an option for a HDHP that has, say, a $5000 deductible with 100% covered above that, and the company contributes much of that into a HSA that is pretax and rolls over year to year, I'd be happy to do it. I don't really want or need a prepaid medical plan that covers everything; I just need insurance so that I'm not destitute if something really bad happens (cancer, heart attack, transplant, ICU, etc.) I couldn't care less about preventive care, drug rehab, sex reassignment, etc., etc.

Exactly. If it's just two folks and you are relatively healthy and don't go to the dr for every sniffle, you can save a ton. Spouses company has a $1,500 contribution. We contribute $4K/year pre-tax (great benefit) and use probably $1,000/year in services. Our HSA account is now worth over $28K and is invested in mutual funds making 4-5%/year. If our annual costs change, we can always revert to a low deductible plan. The money we stocked up forever belongs to us. After age 65, we can use the money for anything we wish and not necessarily medical related.
It would make me sick to pay a higher premium to help offset all the grannies and grandies who use the system out the whazoo or having to pay 2/3 the premium of people who have 7 kids.

Hey Jonjuan,

How do you roll your HSA over? I thought it expired each year. Sounds like a good deal.

RF

A Health Savings Account is money that is yours to keep. You are thinking of a HRA which is an account based on use or lose every year.
If you have the investable income, you may even want to pay for all medical expenses out of pocket so as to save as much as possible in the HSA. After age 65, it's identical to a pre-tax IRA account.
http://www.shrm.org/hrdisciplines/benefits/articles/pages/hsasvshras.aspx

A good HSA long term strategy...
http://news.nhealth.com/04232009Introducing the HSA Strategy.pdf

Last edited:
A Health Savings Account is money that is yours to keep. You are thinking of a HRA which is an account based on use or lose every year.
If you have the investable income, you may even want to pay for all medical expenses out of pocket so as to save as much as possible in the HSA. After age 65, it's identical to a pre-tax IRA account.
http://www.shrm.org/hrdisciplines/benefits/articles/pages/hsasvshras.aspx

A good HSA long term strategy...
http://news.nhealth.com/04232009Introducing the HSA Strategy.pdf

See Blue pilots, this is a good thing.

What could possibly go wrong?

Latest resources

Back