• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Engine Fire @ V1

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
True, so very true. And one day (hopefully not, whatsoever) 2000flyer might have to do that in his airplane.

Gearmunky said:
True, so very true. And one day (hopefully not, whatsoever) 2000flyer might have to do that in his airplane.

I hope not too!!!! Sheez! :confused:

Well they say, as fate would have it the stuff that really goes wrong there's no checklist.

Last edited:
Hey 2000flyer.....that scenario sounds similar to my pre-type evaluation I had at Simuflite a few weeks ago!

What fun......

TaxiDriver said:
Hey 2000flyer.....that scenario sounds similar to my pre-type evaluation I had at Simuflite a few weeks ago!

What fun......

I think it's a PPE/DPE conspiracy! ;):D:D

Guys,

Here's a note I think worth mentioning.

We train and train all the abnormals and emergencies, time and time again. In this problem the instructor is trying to cause the crew to perform a single engine go around, and the crew faithfully does what the instructor is putting together.

My problem is experience shows that when faced with an emergency we all default to our trained process or procedures. If I were in this guy's situation, I doubt that I would want to go around for any reason. I can't think of one reason to go around. Here I am with one engine and most probably my tail feathers on fire, I don't know what all is burning. The airplane, ATC and my passenger are all telling me that things are on fire ... now my instructor is trying to get me to go around. Sounds like "Negative Transfer/Negative Learning" to me.

I hope in real life I would have the wit about me to simply land the airplane past the sweeper or side step to an available taxiway. Anything but try to continue to fly an airplane that is doing it's god honest best to kill me and everyone in it.

What do y'all think?

TransMach

TransMach said:
Guys,

Here's a note I think worth mentioning.

We train and train all the abnormals and emergencies, time and time again. In this problem the instructor is trying to cause the crew to perform a single engine go around, and the crew faithfully does what the instructor is putting together.

My problem is experience shows that when faced with an emergency we all default to our trained process or procedures. If I were in this guy's situation, I doubt that I would want to go around for any reason. I can't think of one reason to go around. Here I am with one engine and most probably my tail feathers on fire, I don't know what all is burning. The airplane, ATC and my passenger are all telling me that things are on fire ... now my instructor is trying to get me to go around. Sounds like "Negative Transfer/Negative Learning" to me.

I hope in real life I would have the wit about me to simply land the airplane past the sweeper or side step to an available taxiway. Anything but try to continue to fly an airplane that is doing it's god honest best to kill me and everyone in it.

What do y'all think?

TransMach

Well, there goes that light hearted look at a recent training event. Trans...lighten up bud!

Guys,

I didn't mean to ruin a light spirited, fun thread, just point out that every six months of our careers we are sometimes "trained" to do the wrong thing. That's all.

I certainly didn't mean to cast doubt on any airman, just the training industry and it's "regular, everyday" processes.

How many times have you started a takeoff roll to find a fire warning at, say, 100KIAS, causing a rejected takeoff, resulting in the airplane coming to a stop with the fire warning still flashing when the instructor said "great, I'll start us over again"? Pleanty? Shouldn't the rest of the event have been played through, like attempting to put the fire out, then shutdown & evacuation on the appropriate side of the airplane, notification to ATC, etc ...

That's all I was trying to say. Sorry if I offended.

TransMach

Latest resources

Back