Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

2000flyer

EASY FLYER
It all started off great. I arrive to preflight, the sun just starting to rise in a perfect black-red sky. We get the aircraft loaded and start our taxi to the active. Line-up check complete, I advance the power levers, the PNF begins his standard calls; accel normal, airspeed alive, 80 knots, V1 … suddenly the warble of the fire warning goes off. The master caution light flashing in my face, red CAS messages begin appearing, the red FIRE light pushbutton over my head couldn’t get any brighter and the right power lever handle is also telling me the engine is on fire with it’s bright red glare.

We continue the take-off, climb to TOSA and begin our memory items backed up with the checklist. We fire the first squib and start the clock. 30 seconds on the clock seem to count down in slow motion. Fire light still on…fire bottle 2 and hope. At the same time ATC advises “smoke coming from your left engine…cleared to XYZ VOR, hold as published.” “You’ve got to be kidding me!” I half yell to my co-captain. ATC advises us that their checking the only runway for debris before we can return to the airport. The sweeper must have gone to lunch!

Then it dawns on me, the FIRE light is still glowing as bright as the now rising sun. The nearest suitable airport is over 100 nm away. We discuss other airports, but the weather sucks everywhere. We advise ATC to forget the sweeper, we need to land NOW! He obliges and begins giving us vectors to the ILS. As we configure for the approach, we ask to be turned on at the marker. LOC/GS centered, passenger briefed for the emergency evacuation on the runway, before landing check complete. At 1000’ we break out of the overcast, both anxious to get on the ground. The EGPWS calls out “500…400…300…200…100”

You’ve got to be kidding me…here comes Joe Schmoe runway sweeper making a hard right onto the runway to check for debris. Tower begins yelling “Falcon 123, GO AROUND…GO AROUND!” One power lever to max T/O…Flaps 2…postive rate…gear up. Just then, our passenger tells us smoke is coming through the gaspers. O2 masks ON…smoke goggles. Nothing else to do there…co-captain tells ATC, “WE NEED TO LAND….NOW!!!” We stay under the overcast, reconfigure for landing and I make my turn to final inside the approach lights. Short final the PNF quickly reminds our passenger where to exit. A firm, but agreeable landing all things considered, my butt off the seat standing on the brakes. Throttle one to stop, press it’s fire switch to further shut off fuel and hydraulic, gang bar three generator switches and two batteries and order the evacuation…

“Nice work guys, lets get some coffee” comes the voice behind me. Our instructor is pleased with our progress.

Yes, folks, all in a days work in the simulator!

I was certain you were going to end that one with " and then I woke up wiping the druel of my lip".

I like the part with the tractor, but since its a Falcon, you could of just hopped over him and then set it down, but the instructor might not have enjoyed that one.

I see that you have updated your profile. You forgot to put Avionics Tech though!! Our DM just gave a hand to an AOG 900EX-Easy here in town. Sounds like you will have fun!!!

G100driver said:
I see that you have updated your profile. You forgot to put Avionics Tech though!! Our DM just gave a hand to an AOG 900EX-Easy here in town. Sounds like you will have fun!!!

How true, my ATP now stands for Avionics Terminal Programer!:D

of course a Falcon can do it fire on the side, hell I got two left. As far as the 2000, not even the same class- super midsize vs. large- big difference. We'll do that single engine stuff all day long. I enjoy my redneck built a/c. lol

Gearmunky said:
of course a Falcon can do it fire on the side, hell I got two left. As far as the 2000, not even the same class- super midsize vs. large- big difference. We'll do that single engine stuff all day long. I enjoy my redneck built a/c. lol
Who knows, maybe one day you will actually get to fly your redneck built airplane ...

Latest resources

Back