Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Elton John?

anyone ever fly or meet Elton John?
I know he commutes to all of his shows from his home in Atlanta and flies out of Peachtree/DeKalb airport

BigPhil said:
. Sam later owned a Tripacer and for years flew a Navaho.

When Wal Mart opened its first store in Conroe, TX, Sam came down to sign the lease on the building (old Woolworth store), he was flying a Cessna 402. He came in the FBO wearing his bib overalls and had the cuff tucked into his boot.

I have run in to Danny Zucko (Travolta) a couple of times. The first time was as a kid in Jackson Hole, Wy. I was about 8 and checking out a Citation on the ramp with my dad. Up walks Travolta (he was flying the Citation, not sure if it was his) and proceeds to give us the grand tour. I sat in the cockpit while he and my dad chatted it up. It was one of those times we all remember as kids when flying was everything, just like the first time a crew let you up front to check out the cockpit. He told me to watch his takeoff and after liftoff he rocked his wings to say goodbye. To this day it is one of my favorite memories...

PUKE

Christopher Reeves

Christopher Reeves once made a movie called "The Aviator" (not to be confused with recent pic about Howard Hughes) There's a crash scene in which an oil line breaks and he dead sticks a biplane into the woods. His reactions and movements were so realistic I can remember thinking: "this guy is a real pilot"; not knowing it at the time....He seemed to be a neat guy, taken way too soon.....

erj-145mech said:
When Wal Mart opened its first store in Conroe, TX, Sam came down to sign the lease on the building (old Woolworth store), he was flying a Cessna 402. He came in the FBO wearing his bib overalls and had the cuff tucked into his boot.
Back in the eighties I built and installed the storefront signs on the first 55 Sam's Wholesale Club Stores. Sam had quit attending all the Wal-Mart grand openings by then because they were so numerous, but at that time made it to all of the Sam's openings. I saw him many times at these openings. He was a charismatic guy, but very friendly and approachable. I know at that time the Wal-Mart executives would stay in Motel 6s or Regal 8s and double up on the rooms. They would eat lunch at the Waffle House,etc. Sam didn't blow money. I know ever since those days when I encounter a "hundred-dollar-millionaire" I always think: "I met the biggest guy of all, and he wasn't a jerk like you"............Sam always credited the airplane for Wal-Mart's early success. The two lane curvy roads in the Arkansas and Missouri Ozarks were slow to navigate, and flying made his day much more productive. According to his book they were riding in the Tripacer one day when they came up with the name " Wal-Mart"

Navajo. Navajo. Navajo.

Navaho is a woman of ill moral repute who experiences difficulty finding her way from one place to another.

BigPhil said:
I just remembered a story my brother told me from his Airforce days. He flew C-141's and Lear 35's (whatever the military calls a Lear 35). A Lear crew picked up Sen. Barry Goldwater at some military base once. The crew was ready to go and they noticed the senator doing a " walkaround" on the plane. They remembered he had been a ww2 pilot and thought maybe he was just sort of "preflighting " the airplane. When he got out to the wingtip he started taking a leak on the ramp in broad daylight in front of God and everybody.When he was climbing in the plane the crew rather sheepishly reminded the senator that the Lear was equipped with a head. Goldwater replied," Son, I don't get on my knees and piss in front of anyone!!"

Pretty sure that the Senator was a Major General in the Air Force Reserve for at least part of the time he was in the Senate

avbug said:
Navajo. Navajo. Navajo.

Navaho is a woman of ill moral repute who experiences difficulty finding her way from one place to another.
Navajo, Navajo, Navajo....got it. I thought that didn't look right after I pushed the button. I wonder if the p-c police are after Piper the way they are the colleges with the Indian..er..Native American teams? The feds might ground all the Apaches.....

kaj837 said:
Pretty sure that the Senator was a Major General in the Air Force Reserve for at least part of the time he was in the Senate

Barry Goldwater flew (or flew in) every military plane in the US arsenal at one time or another during his Senate career.

Pays to be a ranking member of the Senate Armed Forces Committee.

Interestingly enough though, he had this little short lady (who didn't weigh more than 100 lbs.) fly him in a Travelair whenever he traveled around the state.

[quote

Conversely, I flew Lance Armstrong on a charter a few years ago . . . I thought he was an arrogant jerk completely lacking in people skills. :rolleyes:.[/quote]

I would too If i only had 1 nad...

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back