• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Emirates training course

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I don't have any any airline experience outside of the US but I do have a lot of world wide experience in another industry that is much more 'high tech', and dangerous, than being a pilot. The comments of the Americans in this thread pretty much mirror the comments all Americans make, in any technical industry, during their first experience working outside of the USA.

In the US we learn during 'On the Job Training'. We will gain a lot of experience in a short time. Don't ask me why it does it but when I push this lever this will be the result.

Europeans learn in school. They will not be given the opportunity to push the lever until they have completed years of school and written a dissertation on the result. They will still be surprised the first time they actually push the lever.

The Germans do complicated things very well. The problem is they make everything complicated. Americans are big believers in Keep It Simple Stupid (KISS principle) and common sense. Germans, when challenged, will demonstrate and understanding of common sense but then tell you it is not German. The English will tell it has been superseded by regulation.

If you are an American going overseas to work you better be ready to accept the fact you are the odd man out. The US doesn't even use the same measurement system as the rest of the world. In some industries we actually do things opposite of the rest of the world. In the maritime world our red and green channel markers are backwards from the international standard. For industries that are technically oriented you will find our education requirements are usually less than what the rest of the developed world requires for the same profession.

But the advice given in this thread worked well for me in a different industry. Swallow a little pride and apply yourself and you will do just fine and have a lot of fun. Just remember what Willie Nelson said about the English sense of humor when you are tempted to say something funny.

Last edited:
When you have one guy grade you down and tell you to to use a different technique because the "way you read it in the book" was wrong so you go back the next day having mastered the new technique only to be graded down again because that technique was wrong and the first one was right, it gets very frustrating. This happened to me a lot and when you are new you don't want to rock the boat so you do what you are told and move on until you reach the breaking point.

We had this exact same situation at Atlas Air, so it's not just EK or foreign airlines.

It WAS harder on some than others. When I was told I was doing it wrong, I just asked/saw how the new guy wanted it done, and then did it that way. Every day we were ready to change how we did stuff.

The problem is that it is inefficient and leads to wasted time. Atlas is working on improving the training course that I went through.

cliff
HHN

It' s sounds like Cathay..........................
The younger generation of Uk pilots are nice and relaxed to fly with. the older generation of brits expat,those are another story. We call them the long sleeve brigade. Indeed you are treated differently depending of what it is written on your passport. One thing is for sure; Americans are not well liked out there. I am not an american but I love the US. Sure the yankees can be a bit overboard at times but who is perfect? Anyone out there without sin?

American mentality to go from point A to point B in LIFE

A------------------------------------------------B

Europe (incl. UK) philosophy

/-----/
A-------/ / / /---------------B (eventually after years of study)
/ ? / /
/----/ / /
/ /
/-----/
Which one you like most?
Flysafe, keep smiling and keep on saying;" Oh I see"..............

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back