Emirates possibly going with Direct Entry Captains

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Shaken in a good way?
I believe this will have a positive effect in other areas as conditions may be improved so to prevent wide body experienced captains to jump ship.
It is regrettable that this has happened for sure but it is not the first time, EK has a history of taking DEC's and this has neither prevented people from applying due to the low quality of their bidding nor they experienced an exodus of F/O's as a result. One feels bad for the guys currently on property but this development was hardly unexpected with the rate of growth that EK is experiencing.

Last edited:
I believe this will have a positive effect in other areas as conditions may be improved so to prevent wide body experienced captains to jump ship.
It is regrettable that this has happened for sure but it is not the first time, EK has a history of taking DEC's and this has neither prevented people from applying due to the low quality of their bidding nor they experienced an exodus of F/O's as a result. One feels bad for the guys currently on property but this development was hardly unexpected with the rate of growth that EK is experiencing.

I agree that this is a positive sign for the international flying arena. However, times are different now and I believe that the possibility of a job at home within the next couple of years will trump someone coming to EK if they think there is any possibility of getting screwed in the process. It has nothing to do with feeling bad for guys on the property it has to do with the honesty and integrity of the company. They made the statement that the DEC program was a failure in the past and that there was no intention of hiring DEC's in the future. Then they change the rules, just as they will do in the face of some unsuspecting DEC applicant.

The rate of growth EK is experiencing can be covered by current FO's on property. This is purely a monetary decision from the top bean counters to save money and training cycles for the company.

I agree that this is a positive sign for the international flying arena. However, times are different now and I believe that the possibility of a job at home within the next couple of years will trump someone coming to EK if they think there is any possibility of getting screwed in the process. It has nothing to do with feeling bad for guys on the property it has to do with the honesty and integrity of the company. They made the statement that the DEC program was a failure in the past and that there was no intention of hiring DEC's in the future. Then they change the rules, just as they will do in the face of some unsuspecting DEC applicant.

The rate of growth EK is experiencing can be covered by current FO's on property. This is purely a monetary decision from the top bean counters to save money and training cycles for the company.

Honesty and Integrity from the arabs...Are you kidding me...Never. Read a little history outside aviation

Unless there is some kind of CBA (which most of us know can't happen in the sandbox), there's no call for whining from more senior FO's. Every one of them knew from the start that Emirates, et al, hires DEC's from time to time. It is well known beforehand that management can adjust the policies on a whim. DEC's should be as welcomed as any new-hire.

You are making very large assumptions here, first you are speculating that there will be a recovery of the US industry within a couple of years that will create enough movement to trump applicants from the US, that is wildly speculative given the current status of the industry, second you are assuming that the pilots from the US market are the ones supplying EK with new hires, they receive applicants from all over the world and right now the situation in the EU is such that they will keep a pile of applicants regardless of this development, nobody looks at the honesty of a company as a criteria for application, if you did, you wouldn't send your application anywhere, look at what is going on at US Air, American, Qantas, what company you know that keeps their word? I don't know of any and that haven't prevented people from applying there. Sorry but there will be no slowing down of applicants at EK because of this and neither will it be an exudus of F/O's as some have predicted, it didn't happen in the past and it will not happen now, I understand your feelings against this policy, but you analysis of its consequences is unrealistic and based in the ideology of how things should be, not in the reality of this industry.

You are making very large assumptions here, first you are speculating that there will be a recovery of the US industry within a couple of years that will create enough movement to trump applicants from the US, that is wildly speculative given the current status of the industry, second you are assuming that the pilots from the US market are the ones supplying EK with new hires, they receive applicants from all over the world and right now the situation in the EU is such that they will keep a pile of applicants regardless of this development, nobody looks at the honesty of a company as a criteria for application, if you did, you wouldn't send your application anywhere, look at what is going on at US Air, American, Qantas, what company you know that keeps their word? I don't know of any and that haven't prevented people from applying there. Sorry but there will be no slowing down of applicants at EK because of this and neither will it be an exudus of F/O's as some have predicted, it didn't happen in the past and it will not happen now, I understand your feelings against this policy, but you analysis of its consequences is unrealistic and based in the ideology of how things should be, not in the reality of this industry.

I am not really making an assumption of growth in the US as I am counting more on the retirement age not being raised and mega retirements starting at most US carriers within the next couple of years. The largest group of pilots at EK are Americans.

Yes, I do look at honesty and integrity in a company. I look if the company pays on time, puts rosters out on time, tries to cheat the employees on pay, etc. I have not had any issues with any of those here and never had to submit a pay query like I used to have to do every paycheck with my old company. There is a difference between honesty and integrity and a company doing what they need to do to operate such as what is happening at ANA with NO qualified FO's on property so DEC's must be hired but on a contract basis. There are plenty of guys who meet the published DEC minimums on property here at EK...therefore there is not a need operationally.

The EU and the rest of the world is just a few years behind the US in the financial crisis. When they recover I predict more jobs and hiring in the airline industry as well...and I think some guys look ahead and see possibilities which may affect the applicant situation at EK. This has nothing to do with being more realistic or unrealistic...it has more to do with differing opinions (or assumptions as you put it) on how the economic recovery will pan out in this industry.

Last edited:
Unless there is some kind of CBA (which most of us know can't happen in the sandbox), there's no call for whining from more senior FO's. Every one of them knew from the start that Emirates, et al, hires DEC's from time to time. It is well known beforehand that management can adjust the policies on a whim. DEC's should be as welcomed as any new-hire.

Senior FO's are only human and resent someone coming in and taking a command slot when they are equally qualified, sometimes more because of route experience. If you think you will be welcomed on property with open arms by your first officers, your wrong. The atmosphere will be professional but as a DEC you will be under a microscope from both the training department and the FO's you pissed off by line jumping them. Just as there is no CBA to protect us from DEC's, there is no CBA to protect a DEC's job either when you screw up on a very demanding route structure.

In looking again at the recruitment website they have not put a vacancy out for DEC's as of yet. I am cautiously optimistic that this was only a revision to the required minimums and not a formal announcement as the bulletin was not really clear on that. Time will tell.

Latest resources

Back