• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Emirates possibly going with Direct Entry Captains

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I understand your position and see why this is such an emotional topic for you, guys that I know in the training department there tell me that it was inevitable because the pool of guys that have the minimums for upgrade is drying out and that the failure rate for upgrade F/O's have increased 40 to 50% in the last year, they saw no other option but to have the option open, that is where my point of view was coming from, but if there are tons of guys as you say that have those numbers instead on the dry spell the RTC's I've spoken to tell me, then I agree with you.

Anyway, interesting exchange and the best of luck to you guys at EK with all this growing pains, your contribution and that of TP and the other posters is well regarded.

Yes, interesting times here and thanks for the compliment. Your posts greatly helped a couple years back when I was gathering info on contract flying. Unfortunately, my timing was not right for the sweet gig you got....nor was my BMI at the time..LOL.

If I can add me 2 dirhams here my guess is the DEC interview will be much harder than back in 2008???? And the interview washout rate was 70%...or so I've heard. One of these new DEC's screw the pooch out there and everyone who came in contact with that guy is gonna wind up on AS or AAR's carpet, dancing. Nothing makes this company run like fear.

We've had some close shaves (MEL,ADD,LHR,etc) in the plane and a lot of F-ups on overnights....EK strikes me as reluctant to say the least to hand the keys to an FO whos been around for 4+ yrs....ahhhh does he have Command authority?-airmanship??? (WTF does that mean, anyway) their gonna hammer these DEC cats in the interview

Except, of course, the few chosen ones who have buddies in corporate

Lets hope your right....the ones with buddies in corporate are gonna be the ones we don't want. Anal guys from OZ arguing on if they should say flap up or flaps up and the same thing with the gear. With that said, I have met some recent joiners from Qantas and they seem to be really down to earth stand up guys. They must have not known anyone in HQ.. :)

Despite the latest announcement about Direct Entry Capts., I especially love 87-92 hour block months, ID 50 and 90 fares that may or may not be available, and absolutely no jumpseating, unless your the Sheikh of course. At least you can Zed Fare on some other carrier that isn't up to Emirates standards though.

Despite the latest announcement about Direct Entry Capts., I especially love 87-92 hour block months, ID 50 and 90 fares that may or may not be available, and absolutely no jumpseating, unless your the Sheikh of course. At least you can Zed Fare on some other carrier that isn't up to Emirates standards though.

I thought you can jumpseat on JetBlue.

If I can add me 2 dirhams here my guess is the DEC interview will be much harder than back in 2008???? And the interview washout rate was 70%...or so I've heard. One of these new DEC's screw the pooch out there and everyone who came in contact with that guy is gonna wind up on AS or AAR's carpet, dancing. Nothing makes this company run like fear.

We've had some close shaves (MEL,ADD,LHR,etc) in the plane and a lot of F-ups on overnights....EK strikes me as reluctant to say the least to hand the keys to an FO whos been around for 4+ yrs....ahhhh does he have Command authority?-airmanship??? (WTF does that mean, anyway) their gonna hammer these DEC cats in the interview

Except, of course, the few chosen ones who have buddies in corporate
I agree, I really don't think you will see a lot of hiring of guys with the bare minimums, quite the contrary, I think that their intention is to ramp up their training department, area where EK is very short indeed, they need trainers and there is where you will probably see some hiring as DEC's guys that are currently TRE's with extensive wide body international experience, I really don't think that 3,000 PIC in a 737 flying domestically in the EU will cut it.

Yes, interesting times here and thanks for the compliment. Your posts greatly helped a couple years back when I was gathering info on contract flying. Unfortunately, my timing was not right for the sweet gig you got....nor was my BMI at the time..LOL.

I hear you brother, I am in pretty good shape and my blood work numbers are outstanding, by I still have to listen to the "you are a fat gaijin" speech from the doctor every six months.:eek:

Latest resources

Back