Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Is that pay tax free?

Bye Bye--General Lee

:puke: I think Michael Jackson has relocated there? Watch out kids!!!!

All of the salary is Tax Free. As well as free housing for you and your family, utilities are paid for, free medical, dental, etc. Interest free car loan as well. The problem as the previous poster stated is they do not respect seniority. Although they do not grossly disregard it, it is enough to make some blood boil.

Their are all sorts of catches to the tax free salary. I did it for a while and you need to look into it closely. One caveat is your social security, nothing in, nothing out. So if you move back here looking to get it after 20 years in sand box, guess what?

Unfortunately, lots of pilots with their heads in the sand don't live in the desert! Convincing Americans to live in the middle east has probably more to do with wives and friends than actually seeing what's available in the region. While watching the evening news is where most develop their opinions, I would suggest asking the expat community to try and understand if flying and working in the gulf is for you and your family. Don't be surprised at the feedback you receive!

Each individual has to make a personal choice based on his/her (first female pilot has been hired in the region) situation, but an aircraft order of this magnitude, and a clear, defined business plan with the finances to back it up, reminds me nothing of what is going on in the states. Emirates just announced a half year profit of $250mil. on 83 wide body aircraft, amid the high fuel prices that affect this region also.

Seniority systems do exsist, but just not to the extent that ALPO has created. Everyone shares the gain and a little of the pain, what a welcome relief. Query your friends and contacts, ask expats outside aviation and find out as much as possible if this lifestyle is for you. There's lots of airlines starting up, each with a unique twist.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back