Emergency landing turns Stupid

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
flyinlow67 said:
Probably one of those guys that won't listen to anything you say, because they know it all. You know, the "I've been flying for 20 years" jerkoffs. What they don't tell you, is that it was maybe once a month for 20 years, with several 6 month lapses thrown in.
Dangerous

TDTURBO

Avenger29 said:
I got one thats even worse...

The desk girl says wait a minute, you just had a prop strike...the engine has to be torn down and the prop overhauled.

Desk girl says nooo...that is a major operation...it will take a while
So did desk girl go to Spartan's A&P program or did she just pick up the trade by watching the cartoon network?

FNFAL: You are being sarcastic so:
Actually, no- I think that desk girl is a rated pilot. A lot of the staff at the FBO I do my business with are pilots...its great to have a desk girl that actually knows stuff instead of getting Huh? when you ask a question.

I am not an A&P, but I know that a prop strike requires teardown and inspection. You can find this information in several places by simply reading. A good aviator is always studying everything they can get their hands on about aviaton. You ain't gotta have an A&P to know stuff like that or to know how to turn a wrench.

In part 91 flying, its suggested that the engine be torn down for inspection, but not required. The PIC also determines the airworthiness in a pre-flight inspection, so the PIC is taking the responsibility in continuing the flight. If the prop isn't missing material and the shape hasn't changed, its basically up to the PIC on the next course of action. The FAA may have something to say about this to the PIC when all is said and done if the PIC makes the wrong decision, but its not up to the bimbette behind the desk to insist a plan of action.

Did anyone else notice the excellent audio work on the video? I liked how the tires screeched as the plane careened into the woods.:rolleyes:

Beertini

DisPatchThis said:
All we need in the background of that video to be the music of "mr discount airline pilot guy" "mr discount airline pilot guy takes a vacation" :beer:

Sweet!

Except, you'll have to change the airline to doctor or lawyer!

Mr. discount doctor pilot guy.

This is funny stuff. Glad he didn't kill anyone with his crazy pilot tricks. I noticed he seemed hurried, like JoJo the circus clown boy, as he prepared to takeoff. I didn't see any indications of a short field takeoff, ie flaps or run up.

Avenger29 said:
FNFAL: You are being sarcastic so:
Actually, no- I think that desk girl is a rated pilot. A lot of the staff at the FBO I do my business with are pilots...its great to have a desk girl that actually knows stuff instead of getting Huh? when you ask a question.

I am not an A&P, but I know that a prop strike requires teardown and inspection. You can find this information in several places by simply reading. A good aviator is always studying everything they can get their hands on about aviaton. You ain't gotta have an A&P to know stuff like that or to know how to turn a wrench.
I'm not being sarcarstic and I'm not saying that the story that you relayed to us isn't true. However, if I walked into an FBO and a clerical staff person started to lecture to me about what a magneto was and how nitrogen should used to fill the front strut, I'd ask them once again, "Are you going to sell me fuel or not?"

And if the replay was, "Our FBO owner (or our FBO A&P) said to not sell you fuel because they think you had a prop strike and we won't accept the liability?" then I would have to unanimously say that the counter person was well within their rights to advise me on that and that they were just doing their job.

If the counter person doesn't know the difference between a balanced control surface and a stall strip, I don't really wan't advice on what should and shouldn't be repaired on my airplane or what is or isn't a "major repair".

Latest resources

Back