• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Embry Riddle

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
The sim is what kills the program. Its a whole bunch of bull.. I'm gald I don't pay those prices.
smellthejeta said:
Dang. Only a few years back, I was paying wet rates in a real plane for what you're paying in the sim. Dang.

jeez, man. our AST-Hawk, while being a piece, is $18/hr, and free if the session is dual. Riddle is pricey. i heard that they were lowering their prices, though. we're raising ours a few bucks, btw.

Metro752 said:
are you really that mad over a POS Duchess?
I'm kind of on a tight schedule with regards to getting my CMEL, then CFI. I've just had a bad streak of cancellations lately. Just bad luck for me.

gkrangers said:
I'm kind of on a tight schedule with regards to getting my CMEL, then CFI. I've just had a bad streak of cancellations lately. Just bad luck for me.

I know how u feel, I hate getting dicked around, try ALL ATPs, unless u got to do it at Ridleys.

Metro752 said:
I know how u feel, I hate getting dicked around, try ALL ATPs, unless u got to do it at Ridleys.
I fly off campus, so I can do what I want, but I like the current place I use. Things get fixed quick.

pgcfii2002 said:
I am in the process of earning the BS Pro Aero degree. The only reason I decided to pursue it was:
pgcfii2002 said:

I was awarded credit for A+P/flight ratings
I was awarded credit for my BA from Cal State
My employer is paying for roughly 50% of the cost

Like others on this board I would STRONGLY recommend earning a BA/BS at the state university level in something like Business/Accounting/Finance, a field that is always in demand. You can transfer over about 1/3 of the units to ERAU, and receive another 1/3 for your flight ratings. The other 1/3 should not cost that much, and besides, the Pro Aero degree is pretty much useless outside of Aviation.

The above is no joke or it's wasn't when I graduated in 93'. I did the Pro-Aero as well. Every class I took at my local state Univ and community college I made sure would transfer to ERAU. When ready I went to the PRC campus, took on Spring semester with 18 units (needed a sign off) and then one Summer with 12 units (another sign off.) If I recall the catalog required the last 30 units be done at ERAU. Looking here at my transcript, they accepted a transfer of 72 units from community college, 9 from Cal State SM and gave me 36 units of professional experience - at total of 118. This was a very inexpensive way of getting a degree. In hindsight I would have rather gone to a four year such as Boulder CO and experienced the whole college life but I found myself working in aviation while building time and getting ratings. My first 135 job I had under 700 tt and was flying DHC-6 in the Canyon and had no time to resume college but I did find later in my career that doors weren't opening for guys that didn't have the 4yr degree so I took a LOA from AIA and got it done in 5 months.

As for the quality of ERAU, I don't think it's any better than other places. In fact I would say that some of my instructors were guys that couldn't make it in the real world and ended up teaching at ERAU PRC. One in case was an ex-military guy that didn't have a clue about teaching MS 415 "Airline Management." He and I argued all the time and when my grades started to show that he was taking it personal I took it to the dean and had the grades changed - what a kook. I was also 26 at the time and found most students were 17-19. I volunteered many hours in the career cnter and participated in the career fair's representing AIA. For me I knew that PRC would be better than FL as this would keep me centered on knocking out 18 units.

ERAU flying - another story all together. I did go to ERAU PRC straight out of HS and left immediately after one semester and solo. My instructor was average and very cocky. Remember this was the year Top Gun came out and every tom dick and Harry was driving a Iroc or riding an interceptor. I didn't think the leval of education that I was receiving was work the $1000 per class and I went back home and did the community college thing at a fraction of the cost. This training also led me to the above-mentioned jobs.

Would I have changed the way I did things - not likely. But I would have liked to do the four-year Univ thing and had the fun that I missed. But I guess I'm making up for that fun lost on this five-year furlough.

I think if aviation is your life and you don't seem to fit in with others maybe try ERAU where everyone else is the same. But as previously stated don't think that you'll be hooking up with tons of girls. Last I hear the ration as 1:5, and of those 200 girls maybe 10 are worth dating and of those 10 9 are b!tche$. Try down the road at Biscut College if you like granola or better yet at Havesomepie College where the gals are young and.......Well, you fill in the blank.

Good luck - hope this helped.

Baja.

Latest resources

Back