• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Embry-Riddle

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

But in reality if a student wants to be a pilot, they most often just take the flight program because it's easy and a fast way to graduate. Young people are like electricity, they both look for the path of least resistance.

Embry-Riddle is definitely not the path of least resistance. I attended for one year and it was the BIGGEST waist of time and money. If you really want to be a pilot in can be done much faster elsewhere.

I would avoid ERAU just to stay out of these silly debates (and save a bit of cash).

true...i went to riddle(91 DAB) and got a business degree...didn't have the raybans or tom cruise leather jacket...but was hired at FDX in 95...and those guys are my FOs now....they still have the raybans though:D

I attended for one year and it was the BIGGEST waist of time and money.

If you happened to be an English major, one would certainly be inclined to agree ;).

Regardless of your source of education, so long as you realize that you're on the entry level rungs of the industry, you're in good shape. If you think your time spent at ERAU or any other location gives you some special insight or qualification, then that's where you'll run into trouble and paint yourself in a bad light.

The prototypical student arrogance as the student begins to learn the basics of various topics is manifest by the student proclaiming his or her mastery or this topic or that. "Why, I took a class in accident investigation, and my teacher said..." isn't what anybody wants to hear. Nobody cares what the teacher said. Class is over, welcome to the real world, glad you got something out of your education...it qualifies you to take the same low paying no-experience job as anybody else...from the guys who went to the local community college to the guys with no college.

So long as the ERAU grad (or any other college grad) can accept that fact, he or she will be fine. If he or she can't, then they'll be received as another snot-nosed kid with an atitude. Just as they should.

Embry-Riddle is definitely not the path of least resistance.
All aviation degree programs that award credit for flight courses such as graduation credit for Private Pilot, Instrument Rating, Commercial Pilot, CFI, etc., are easy degrees from that school as compared to most any other degree programs that only award credit for true academic programs. There is really little academic substance to an aviation flight degree and everyone knows it. But that's OK if all you want is a degree to fill a square so as to become an airline pilot with a major airline. Pilots just don't need any education beyond high school to move up and fly any airplane at any level. Pilots just need to fill the square for 4-year degree for the majors, not the Regionals. Nobody cares if it is from ERAU or where ever. Maybe you can fool some people into thinking an aviation flight degree is significant, but the airlines all know that all aviation degrees are BS, they just don't really care.

So unfortunately, the attraction of an easy degree is what most students go for. Like I said, people are just like electricity, they both seek the path of least resistance. Why apply yourself to obtain an engineering degree when an easy one in aviation flight is available and your get credit for the flying lessons. It’s hard to say no to that choice. Plus you’ll graduate faster so as to get the big job flying RJ'sfor fast-food worker wages. What a deal…..

Last edited:
That's one viewpoint, perhaps.

Then again, why pursue a degree in law when one seeks to be an electrical engineer? Why seek a degree in political science when one intends to pursue elementary education? And why pursue something outside avaition when one intends to make one's career aviation?

I fully appreciate the desire to broaden one's horizons, and that's not a bad thing. However, you appear to suggest that one pursuing a life in the cockpit would be well served by pursuing a degree in electrical engineering (for example). You further suggest that one is only pursuing the "path of least resistance" by not going after that electrical engineering degree.

If indeed that logic is sound, then an artist who obtains a degree in liberal arts is equally remiss. One pursuing a career in forestry should instead get a degree in nursing. After all, taking the degree in forest science or fire science would be taking the course of least resistance. One seeking to be a writer would waste his or her energies as an English major when a degree in aeronautical engineering or computer sciences would be far better. Non sequitor logic.

I don't begrudge anybody seeking betterment and education. However, the indivdiual who pursues his flying and bypasses that electrical engineering degree may have several thousand hours and his first jet job when the degree graduate is still flight instructing on a fresh commercial. Meanwhile, the individual who got that early start is working an accredited degree off by distance learning and already established in a career.

I have five FAA certificates, and no degree. I can't say with certainty, but I doubt that a degree in electrical engineering would benifit me much, nor influence my decision to do what I do. It doesn't interest me, it isn't my aptitude, and as valueable a skill and education though it might be, it would serve a distractor to my own course.

We each have our own path; it's not always traditional, nor should it be.

Avbug: Your points are well made. But keep in mind my closing comment:
Plus you’ll graduate faster so as to get the big job flying RJ'sfor fast-food worker wages. What a deal…..
You are proof that a degree is not necessary to fly and you know it. Unfortunately many very capable young men/women who could have really reached the highest academic levels have been railroaded into an aviation flight degree when that wasn't what they really wanted. They just wanted to learn to fly in college and get a complete college education. A flight degree is a degree of the least resistance. It is not like the examples you provided:
If indeed that logic is sound, then an artist who obtains a degree in liberal arts is equally remiss. One pursuing a career in forestry should instead get a degree in nursing. After all, taking the degree in forest science or fire science would be taking the course of least resistance. One seeking to be a writer would waste his or her energies as an English major when a degree in aeronautical engineering or computer sciences would be far better.

All of your examples are different because the alternative degrees you suggest are not easier degrees of least resistance. And those people wouldn't be qualified for what they want. Your examples are apples and oranges in relation to my example of a secondary degree for an aviation interest.

As you know there is no need for a degree in aviation to fly airplanes at any level. So I do think the best course to follow, unless a person is totally aviation crazy, is to get a degree in say journalism. That way a person may at least develop a skill in writing. Maybe they can then improve their skill on FI which might be handy.

Last edited:
I think that we're migrating to that point, but dollacrackho was right....if you're at a 4-year school then flying airplanes in an aviation program of any kind is not going to get you out of there any faster in my experience. And if you're going to be there for however long anyway, why not diversify yourself a little since, as we all know, aircraft operators couldn't care less what your degree is in if you have one at all.

We have seen, too, that people do often choose to get out of this industry(as with other industries, I'm sure) and probably find it advantageous to have an education outside aviation. Either to pursue small business ownership or jsut go to work for someone else for more home time, better pay, security, etc.

Education is the end game, and if your primary career path doesn't care what your degree is in why put all your eggs in that basket? Broaden yourself a bit and learn a little(or a lot) about something else.

All aviation degree programs that award credit for flight courses such as graduation credit for Private Pilot, Instrument Rating, Commercial Pilot, CFI, etc., are easy degrees from that school as compared to most any other degree programs that only award credit for true academic programs. There is really little academic substance to an aviation flight degree and everyone knows it. But that's OK if all you want is a degree to fill a square so as to become an airline pilot with a major airline.

Huh??? Do you have an aeronautical science degree? No, that's right, of course you don't because your superior chosen path involved flying at a mom and pop FBO, then getting a non-aviation degree. I think you said you wanted to get your ratings ASAP to attract chicks and build flight time, right?

How the hell do you know how hard an aeronautical science degree is? You don't have a clue. It involves much more than just flight courses. You should learn what you're talking about before you open your pie-hole. Sure, it may be relatively easier than a few other degrees, but "There is really little academic substance to an aviation flight degree and everyone knows it," is a baseless remark that only an arrogant rod could deliver.

Search the FI threads all you want. Guys with aviation degrees from ERAU or other schools don't bash those who have chosen other paths with different degrees or flight training. Most I know are humble. In fact, the ONLY pretentious and demeaning posts on here are the ones from pompous, arrogant jerks like you deprecating those who have done anything different than you.

By the way, of the 15 graduates in my Air Force Undergraduate Pilot Training class, the top 5 had Aeronautical Science degrees. One guy in my class had an aerospace engineering degree, and another had an electrical engineering degree. Both washed out. Guess those degrees of substance didn't help out too much when it came down to flying the jet.

Pilots just don't need any education beyond high school to move up and fly any airplane at any level.

Spoken from someone without an aviation degree. You obviously can't apply your degree to your chosen career. What a waste of four years. I've found an aviation degree to be quite helpful, and on a daily basis use the academic knowledge I gained during those four years.

Pilots just need to fill the square for 4-year degree for the majors, not the Regionals.

Although you may look at it as a square filling exercise, most of us look at college as a way to not only prepare us for our career, but also as a way to develop maturity, responsibility, breadth of knowledge, intellectual exploration, and HUMILITY.

Nobody cares if it is from ERAU or where ever. Maybe you can fool some people into thinking an aviation flight degree is significant, but the airlines all know that all aviation degrees are BS, they just don't really care.

Gee, I didn't realize that you're qualified to speak for the world.

My popcorn aviation degree from ERAU has helped me get every flying job I've had. All the interviewers were impressed by it.

I'm not surprised to see your pretentious, know-it-all remarks in this thread. You're the same jackass who posted this gem of a quote last year regarding Age 60:

Is this what the Vietnam vets fought for, to be insulted by smart a$$ kids that want their seat while the foreign pilots steal our livelihood?

UF

Are you still lying about being a Vietnam Vet? You didn't have the nuts to step up to the plate in that theater. Don't disgrace those vets now by pretending to be one.

I was furloughed, along with 12,000 other smart a$$ kids, after 9/11. Since then, I've flown over 400 combat hours ingressing/egressing USAF heavies in and out of Baghdad and Balad. I've lost count of how many times I've been shot at and had the $hit scared out of me.

But we don't have the aeronautical prowess, skills, or wisdom to replace you, right? God save us if pilots like you are forced to retire, and unsafe, smart a$$ kids like me have to replace you. That's about how your sales pitch to Congress sounded, right? So much so, in fact, that they even named the law as such, "The Fair Treatment of Experienced Pilots Act."

You are a tool on many levels.

Last edited:
I was furloughed, along with 12,000 other smart a$$ kids, after 9/11. Since then, I've flown over 400 combat hours ingressing/egressing USAF heavies in and out of Baghdad and Balad. I've lost count of how many times I've been shot at and had the $hit scared out of me.

You sound like a riddle rat with an attitude. A really poor one, at that. 400 whole hours, huh? Long haul? So that means you were in the theatre for brief moments with the rest of it spent going to and from, then. How brave of you. You have everyone's undying admiration, and your fifteen minutes of fame. And 400 hours of eye-popping experience that leaves our jaws dangling all agape. You are indeed inspiring and a wonder to behold. How amazed we all are that you have been heretofore undiscovered, a true national treasure beneath our very keyboards.

Although you may look at it as a square filling exercise, most of us look at college as a way to not only prepare us for our career, but also as a way to develop maturity, responsibility, breadth of knowledge, intellectual exploration, and HUMILITY.

It didn't work very well for you, then. There's not an ounce of humility in your post, and no sign of maturity. Your intellect must have been put on hold, as your comments sound more like an arrogant, inexperienced child. Breadth of knowledge? Coming from a college course regarding "professional aeronautics?" That's the riddle arrogance....come out of a program like that thinking ou actually know something...and arrogant enough to make comments like you just did.

Grow up a little. Strike that. Grow up a lot...then slide back to the regional forum where your comments are more suitable, and you'll be among peers.

MOD INPUT - Play nice or we won't let you play at all. Just keep it clean..

You sound like a riddle rat with an attitude. A really poor one, at that. 400 whole hours, huh? Long haul? So that means you were in the theatre for brief moments with the rest of it spent going to and from, then. How brave of you. You have everyone's undying admiration, and your fifteen minutes of fame. And 400 hours of eye-popping experience that leaves our jaws dangling all agape. You are indeed inspiring and a wonder to behold. How amazed we all are that you have been heretofore undiscovered, a true national treasure beneath our very keyboards.

It didn't work very well for you, then. There's not an ounce of humility in your post, and no sign of maturity. Your intellect must have been put on hold, as your comments sound more like an arrogant, inexperienced child. Breadth of knowledge? Coming from a college course regarding "professional aeronautics?" That's the riddle arrogance....come out of a program like that thinking ou actually know something...and arrogant enough to make comments like you just did.

Grow up a little. Strike that. Grow up a lot...then slide back to the regional forum where your comments are more suitable, and you'll be among peers.

I wasn't talking to you ****. I was talking with the know-it-all who debased everyone studying aviation in college.

You have no idea what my degree involved, and you don't have the foggiest f****** idea what combat feels like or how combat flying is logged. I'm not about to waste my time explaining it to your lilly-white a******* either. I wasn't asking for your damned admiration for my combat service; I was simply explaining to the poster that the younger guys affected by Age 60 aren't exactly a bunch of inexperienced, smart a****** kids, as he put it. However, even though I wasn't addressing you in my post, you felt compelled to jump on and devalue a combat veteran's service and sacrifice...that's real f******* cute tool. I'll bet you're a real crowd pleaser on Memorial Day.

You neither went to college, nor risked your life for your country, yet you feel qualified to spit on my education and military service.

Like I said little man, Riddle graduates don't deprecate other colleges and career paths. The only people who start threads like that are people bashing Riddle.

It's kind of like homophobia. Those who feel compelled to publically bash gays are really supressing their own latent homosexual tendencies. When you bash Riddle, you just end up looking like a foolish and jealous wannabe. Try opening up a Psychology textbook for Chrissake...

I obviously struck a nerve with you since you don't have a degree from anywhere, Riddle or otherwise. My remarks weren't meant to insult those of you who didn't go to college. They were just meant to counter the poster's obvious ignorance to the benefits of a college education, and his stupid assertion that aviation degrees are worthless "paths of least resistance." Perhaps you should explore your inferiority complex with a counselor. The only person making you feel that way is the guy in the mirror.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest resources

Back