Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
ATRedneck said:
Yeah, it almost climbs like a jet.

I had one the other day, 12-something, that wouldn't do .78, much less .80. We kept it in E-CLB and it'd barely do .76.

Granted, the XR is the thoroughbred of the 145 fleet (if there is one), but it's still about as durable as a disposable camera. If they get 15 years out of them, they'll be lucky.

The next time your unable to get an XR above .76, take a look at what ISA is. Then take a look at the flight plan, I bet ISA on the flight plan and the speed you're doing is what's on paper. I think that the fadec programming is just extremely ISA sensitive. And yes I feel your pain, I had a 737-500 tail grabbin my a$$ the other day; WTF!

The XR is a great looking plane, but I agree with an earlier poster that their time has come and gone.

Continental may have lots of low fare people clamoring to fly across America in any plane, but after a few of the smarter ones get tired of bumping their head and chewing their knees, then the product will fall by the wayside.

captjim said:
The next time your unable to get an XR above .76, take a look at what ISA is. Then take a look at the flight plan, I bet ISA on the flight plan and the speed you're doing is what's on paper.

It was at FL350, ISA +10. Paperwork said .78, never got close. Trust me, this ain't my first rodeo.

I think that whatever dispatch uses to figure performance is dead-on balls wrong. Look at the fuel flow figures, for one. Have you ever seen this Brazillian bucket do .78 at 2500 PPH? At 48,000 pounds? It can if you believe the paperwork.

It can barely do .75 at that fuel flow. It seems to cruise on speed at around 88% N1, but the fuel flow is never right.

ATRedneck said:
It was at FL350, ISA +10. Paperwork said .78, never got close. Trust me, this ain't my first rodeo.

I think that whatever dispatch uses to figure performance is dead-on balls wrong. Look at the fuel flow figures, for one. Have you ever seen this Brazillian bucket do .78 at 2500 PPH? At 48,000 pounds? It can if you believe the paperwork.

Dispatch uses EMBRAER performance data which ia available to you in the SPM format.
I don't know how you fly the airplane but I rarely have a problem making planned cruise speed and fuel burn for the flight is usually within 300 pounds of planned. Of course older engines will burn more fuel and run hotter. I sometimes see this when an airplane is coming up for "C" checks.

Britpilot said:
I don't know how you fly the airplane but I rarely have a problem making planned cruise speed and fuel burn for the flight is usually within 300 pounds of planned.

Well golly, I guess my straight-and-level-in-the-detents must be different than the checkairman way of flying straight ahead with the thrust set.

:rolleyes:

I defy you to cruise this sh!tbucket out at TOC, 1250 PPH per side, and get .78 out of it like the flight plan says most of the time. And yes, I know all about letting it speed up before setting cruise thrust.

It's just that I hear guys at work all the time talking about how badass the XR is, when in reality it's just less crappy than the other 145s.

Last edited:
So is your beef with the airplane or dispatch? Flying the profiles and all that jazz I see most flights end within +/- a few hundred pounds. Do you realized the difference in TAS between .74M and .78M at FL350? You're complaining over only a few knots? You must be a blast to deal with when splitting the check.

Nova said:
So is your beef with the airplane or dispatch?

Neither one. I have a pretty good idea of what the airplane is capable of, and I take the release with a grain of salt... I know guys who accept the Almighty Smith Street Paperwork as the gospel truth, and those are the guys who paint themselves into corners.

The problem is that too many guys think this airplane is so sh!t-hot and have convinced themselves that it's a career airplane at a career airline, when in fact it's neither. They've just spent too much time in the seat they were in when the music stopped.

I know the next question is , "What do you expect them to do? Nobody's hiring!" which is a totally valid observation, to which I have no answers. It just sucks that what was supposed to have been a stepping stone has become a campground, which might get all jacked up after 2007.

You ever watch Most Extreme Elimination Challenge on Spike TV? You know the competition where they run across the pond on rocks, some of which are fixed and some of which will sink when stepped on? Well guess which rock the almighty Embraer 145 XR is... I think too many guys have forgotten that.

Nova said:
You must be a blast to deal with when splitting the check.

When you hold day trips and two-days, there ain't a check. And on the rare two-day that's long enough to have a check, I usually buy anyway.

ATRedneck said:
Well golly, I guess my straight-and-level-in-the-detents must be different than the checkairman way of flying straight ahead with the thrust set.

:rolleyes:

I defy you to cruise this sh!tbucket out at TOC, 1250 PPH per side, and get .78 out of it like the flight plan says most of the time. And yes, I know all about letting it speed up before setting cruise thrust.

It's just that I hear guys at work all the time talking about how badass the XR is, when in reality it's just less crappy than the other 145s.

Well there you go getting all defensive. Sure come fly with me I'll make it a line check if you want. Seems you need some training. Must be all that hot sun in TX Mr. redneck.

ATRedneck said:
Neither one. I have a pretty good idea of what the airplane is capable of, and I take the release with a grain of salt... I know guys who accept the Almighty Smith Street Paperwork as the gospel truth, and those are the guys who paint themselves into corners.

The problem is that too many guys think this airplane is so sh!t-hot and have convinced themselves that it's a career airplane at a career airline, when in fact it's neither. They've just spent too much time in the seat they were in when the music stopped.

I know the next question is , "What do you expect them to do? Nobody's hiring!" which is a totally valid observation, to which I have no answers. It just sucks that what was supposed to have been a stepping stone has become a campground, which might get all jacked up after 2007.

You ever watch Most Extreme Elimination Challenge on Spike TV? You know the competition where they run across the pond on rocks, some of which are fixed and some of which will sink when stepped on? Well guess which rock the almighty Embraer 145 XR is... I think too many guys have forgotten that.

Hey at least he's smart enough to take one of the best US airline jobs available right now over continued 'phat' life at a regional. Can't say the same for many others senior to him regardless of how well they fly the profile.

Latest resources

Back