• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

EMB 110 crash in MHT

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
When will the FAA stop authorizing single pilot ops for aircraft like this? The 1900, metro, the 110...no way should they be single pilot. Too much going on in an emergency situation to have the highest possible degree of safety.

Bandido single pilot

pipejockey said:
When will the FAA stop authorizing single pilot ops for aircraft like this? The 1900, metro, the 110...no way should they be single pilot. Too much going on in an emergency situation to have the highest possible degree of safety.

I've got 1300 hours in the EMB110, about 250 of which is single pilot. It's a *************************cat to operate, even single pilot.

Having said that, I agree that a two pilot crew is much preferable to operating solo, especially without an autopilot (which would not have been of much help in this situation).

Glad to hear the pilot made it out o.k.

P. S. Too bad we have to edit certain words regardless of context.

Last edited:
pipejockey said:

So... throw some FO with 100 hrs in a seminole in the right seat and expect it to be safer? I've flown with some of these low timers, and I would much rather not have them in the right seat of such an aircraft when the S hits the fan. Useless.

barnyard said:
So... throw some FO with 100 hrs in a seminole in the right seat and expect it to be safer? I've flown with some of these low timers, and I would much rather not have them in the right seat of such an aircraft when the S hits the fan. Useless.

Problem is the low-timer in the left seat. When I was there we had a few E110 captains with 10 (ten-no typo!) hours of multi. Anyway, just speculation; wish the pilot a speedy recovery.

barnyard said:

I was one of those guys! had less than 100 multi too. Not every low time pilot is worth trading for 170lbs of fuel.

Airnow is going to run out of 110's at this rate.

T-REX said:
Problem is the low-timer in the left seat. When I was there we had a few E110 captains with 10 (ten-no typo!) hours of multi. Anyway, just speculation; wish the pilot a speedy recovery.

Disturbing!

Glad he is OK.

I just wonder whats up with all the turboprop failures. Turboprops are supposed to be way more reliable than recip with all those less movin parts...ya know

flyinloki said:
I just wonder whats up with all the turboprop failures. Turboprops are supposed to be way more reliable than recip with all those less movin parts...ya know
that's a properly maintained turboprop you're thinking of....:erm:

pipejockey said:

"I've got 1300 hours in the EMB110, about 250 of which is single pilot. It's a *************************cat to operate, even single pilot.

Having said that, I agree that a two pilot crew is much preferable to operating solo, especially without an autopilot (which would not have been of much help in this situation). "

Ive Got 2100 hours single pilot in the EMB 110 and about 950 single pilot in the Metro, and both of these airplanes are just fine for single pilot just as long as the single pilot that is flying is sharp and not slacking off. Moto...I have known Skip for about 5 years and he never once pressured me into doing something unsafe or questionable. He was always fair and never questioned my judgement if I had to cancel a flight due to MX or weather. I think the problem has more to do with pilots getting in over thier head and on top of that the pressure of making it in on time. People need to prioritize when it comes to thier flying...aka their a$$ home safe number 1, freight on time number 2. As far as the 2 planes down this year, one of them ran out of fuel Air Now MX has nothing to do with how much fuel the pilot takes. who knows about the second one. Not to speculate but what is the first thing you were taught about engine failures.....dont turn around. Good thing it worked out in this case although I think some one used eight of his nine lives in that one.
I am not denying that the reason the engine quit in the first place is still DEFINATELY under question. Im glad to hear that the pilot is OK and everything worked out. I guess we will have to wait for more details about what the prob was.

Latest resources

Back