• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

EMB 110 crash in MHT

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Hey, thats great that the pilot made it out alive.......but.....engine failure, crash? The press sucks at covering these stories so who knows what really happened. The only point that I have is (sorry to say, but) weak pilot. In 4K flying freight in singles, twins, turbines all single pilot I, as well as some of you have had engine failures. For some of us it has been a lot. Sorry I'm the d!ck but IF this is the real story..........weak.

FD75

Sorry for the bad attitude, I just got up and saw this first thing this morning.

MANCHESTER — A commuter-sized airplane crashed just feet from a Wal-Mart store yesterday morning, jolting the heart of the city’s retail center with an impact and subsequent explosions that could have proved disastrous.
A few hours later or a few yards in either direction, and the plane would have struck a bustling Mall of New Hampshire, Barnes & Noble bookstore or the Highland-Goffe’s Falls School, which was closed yesterday for election day.
The AirNow pilot, Paul Seyler-Schmidt, 32, a resident of Bangor, Maine, walked away from the crash with what witnesses said appeared to be a broken leg.
“You could tell it was right on top of us,” said Lee Beauchamp, service adviser at the nearby Honda dealership. “Then, all of a sudden, we heard this thump. It sounded like it hit the top of this building.”
Seyler-Schmidt was listed in fair condition last night at Elliot Hospital, but the hospital would not release specifics about his injuries.
Officials said the plane took off in a northeastly direction from Manchester Airport, and Seyler-Schmidt almost immediately reported engine trouble.
He turned northwest and was lined up to land on the adjoining airport runway in a southerly direction. But the plane, which was carrying freight, crashed about a quarter to a half-mile short of the runway, said Manchester Airport Director Kevin Dillon.
It clipped the Wal-Mart greenhouse and crashed into storage containers, said Rick Osgood of Loudon, a dispatcher and service writer for the nearby Saturn dealership. An employee who normally works in the greenhouse had the day off, said Police Chief John Jaskolka.
A large part of the fuselage crashed into a row of pine trees serving as a buffer along Goffe’s Falls Road.
Packages were strewn across the storage lot, among the smoking and charred remains of the plane. Most were UPS packages from the plane, but other packages came from the damaged Wal-Mart storage containers, some Christmas gifts on layaway, said store Manager Sean Petersen.
A large plume of smoke was visible for miles on the clear morning.
Wal-Mart was evacuated, and Interstate 293 and other local roads were snarled with traffic after the crash. Rubbernecking apparently caused a four-car crash on I-293, police said. No one was injured.
Dillon said the crash did not affect airport operations. Flights continued to depart and arrive yesterday along runway 17-35, which takes flights over the heavily developed retail areas of South Willow Street.
“Accidents like this are rare. An aircraft accident can happen anywhere,” Dillon said.
National Transportation Safety Board officials were expected to arrive in Manchester last night and begin an investigation this morning, Dillon said. The Federal Aviation Administration and state aeronautics officials were on scene yesterday.
The NTSB requested the plane remain in place overnight until investigators arrived, Dillon said. The plane is expected to be moved today.
Yesterday’s accident occurred just after Wal-Mart and surrounding businesses opened.
Osgood said he and two fellow Saturn workers noticed the plane while in the lot.
“We saw him coming down and we knew he wasn’t going to make it, “ Osgood said. He said he saw the plane circle to return to the airport. The engine was cutting in and out.
The three men started running in the direction of the plane as it began to descend.
“All we saw was a large ball of fire and carnage. About a minute or two later we saw the pilot walking or limping away,” Osgood said
Seyler-Schmidt had a broken leg and a serious head injury, he said.
Car reconditioner Pedro Garcia hoisted the pilot onto his shoulder and carried him across the street. Soon afterward, he said, there was another explosion.
The pilot was conscious throughout.
“We said, ‘What happened?,’” Garcia recalled. “He said, ‘I lost an engine.’”
In a statement released from the hospital, Seyler-Schmidt said: “I am extremely grateful to all the people who helped me at the scene of the plane crash this morning, including the Good Samaritans who helped me immediately after the crash and the emergency personnel who treated me.”
Saturn service manager John O’Brien was also taken to the hospital after suffering breathing difficulties because of the smoke.
A line of fire swept toward the Honda parking lot, apparently following the path of a fuel spill, according to Scott Guerette, Honda’s service manager. Employees emptied six extinguishers, preventing the flames from spreading.
According to a 2002 traffic count, the area of South Willow Street close to Wal-Mart sees 28,000 cars on an average day. As shoppers know, flight paths bring aircraft close to stores along the strip.
Dillon said the city tries to discourage growth along the ends of runways, and the airport purchases property within a runway protection zone when it comes on the market.
He said the Manchester Airport was once far from any development.
“Normally, the airport is there first, and development encroaches on the airport,” said FAA spokesman Arlene Salac. “That’s not an issue the FAA has any control over.”
Robin Outwater, vice president of operations for aircraft owner Business Air Inc. of Bennington, Vt., said Seyler-Schmidt has been flying for more than 10 years. Outwater said he pilots a flight from Bangor International Airport to Manchester Airport, delivering daily express packages for UPS.
The plane that crashed was a twin engine cargo Embraer 110, a Brazilian aircraft.
In January, the pilot of an AirNow plane was killed when his aircraft crashed in heavy fog at Dillant Hopkins Airport outside Keene.
Wal-Mart spokesman Sharon Weber said the Manchester store had been open for about 20 minutes when it was evacuated after the crash.
Although the store remained closed for the rest of yesterday, Wal-Mart expected to reopen at 7 a.m. today

T-REX said:
Problem is the low-timer in the left seat. When I was there we had a few E110 captains with 10 (ten-no typo!) hours of multi.

Uhhh...

that's barely enough time for a E110 check out, let-alone enough time for a zero-time ME pilot to E110 Cpt. That's freaking crazy!

Ahhh..good 'ole Business Air.

Where's Thebest??? He got hired as E110 captain without a multi rating. 3 days later he was back his multi and starting E110 school. :)

Any rattlers out there with info on what actually happened? I imagine the witnesses saying they heard the engine cutting in and out were probably just hearing the good engine powering up.

I think the Best got the Boot…

As far as the crash goes I heard he did loose an engine. And the pilot had tons of experience. In fact he was supposed to be the new assistant chief down south since the last one left after several years. Have not heard what exactly happened, but a 110 fully loaded for BGR should be able to maintain some alt. single engine… I cant remember if they load the 110 full on most days, or if they spread the load between the two a/c that fly there. Anyway, it was always a bulk issue and not weight out of MHT.

Glad the guys okay.

heres the thing,
i've flown the 110...single engine....at 95% max weight....unintentionally. (necessary precautionary shutdown + diversion) altitude is your friend. in this plane its true that when you loose an engine the other one takes you to the landing. the fact that even if ANY of the pilots in MHT may...MAY have been low time, or the fact that it's a single pilot operation makes NO difference in this event. i think the fact that this person just clipped the wal-mart and misseed the bookstore next door (with a 50 ft. span plane) is a testament to that pilots ability to control the plane in such a condition and avoid any further damage. that probably was his only option. the plane could have hit the wall-mart and skipped over to the bookstore and taken everything out and thrown fire and debirs into the honda dealership lot.......by some accounts here it sounds like you people WANT to see that happen.

doing single engine work in this thing practicing go-arounds on a PC check, while empty emphasizes that it does NOT have quite enough power when fully loaded to do much of a go-around. it could hold altitude if not scrape a few more feet up but with fully loaded-up max weight plane....its a tough thing to do.I would even hazard a guess that not many planes in frieght CAN do that. a baron is no stellar SE performer at max weight either you know. when empty, SE, the 110 will climb 700-mabye 1000 a minute....empty...and thats in it's current legal operating condition. put 4000 lbs of boxes and fuel in there.....and then see what you can get.

they do their best and they dont hire crap pilots. every one that comes out of there is a good pilot with GOOD experience. theyve been doing it over 25 years. they know what makes a good stick.

Last edited:
Airpiraterob said:
heres the thing,
i've flown the 110...single engine....at 95% max weight....unintentionally. (necessary precautionary shutdown + diversion) altitude is your friend. in this plane its true that when you loose an engine the other one takes you to the landing. the fact that even if ANY of the pilots in MHT may...MAY have been low time, or the fact that it's a single pilot operation makes NO difference in this event. i think the fact that this person just clipped the wal-mart and misseed the bookstore next door (with a 50 ft. span plane) is a testament to that pilots ability to control the plane in such a condition and avoid any further damage. that probably was his only option. the plane could have hit the wall-mart and skipped over to the bookstore and taken everything out and thrown fire and debirs into the honda dealership lot.......by some accounts here it sounds like you people WANT to see that happen.

doing single engine work in this thing practicing go-arounds on a PC check, while empty emphasizes that it does NOT have quite enough power when fully loaded to do much of a go-around. it could hold altitude if not scrape a few more feet up but with fully loaded-up max weight plane....its a tough thing to do.I would even hazard a guess that not many planes in frieght CAN do that. a baron is no stellar SE performer at max weight either you know. when empty, SE, the 110 will climb 700-mabye 1000 a minute....empty...and thats in it's current legal operating condition. put 4000 lbs of boxes and fuel in there.....and then see what you can get.

they do their best and they dont hire crap pilots. every one that comes out of there is a good pilot with GOOD experience. theyve been doing it over 25 years. they know what makes a good stick.
I agree. Also, the fact the pilot did not land upside down (due to Vmc’n) says a lot about his and possibly Airnows’ training. It is a fact that most a/c of this type have a substantially higher fatality rate due to Vmc. When I was flying the bandit, especially when doing charter, I tried to get the lay of the land as I landed. Not because I was afraid of the maint or age of the a/c, but because I knew that on t/o with a full load I would be hard pressed to the plane flying.

The pilot added full power to the right engine, and left the flaps at 25 percent. The airplane began a left turn, and although the pilot "stood on the right rudder," he could not stop a left turning descent.

flaps were at 25 percent, the rudder was at neutral trim, and the aileron was at full left trim.

Here is the whole NTSB report. http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/brief.asp?ev_id=20051124X01887&key=1

Latest resources

Back