Email from S Hall (another ASA thread)

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

ASACRJFlyer

There was a similar thread on APC but I wanted to start a thread here to see what the FI Gang thought...

Mr. Hall posted this article on an OurASA mass email. (I won't post the article, just click on the link)

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601103&sid=aIgc8LBm8eN4

I just find it interesting that he's extremely quick to point out bad news in the industry, especially since he's trying to get us to accept PBS. The problem is there's also articles about better times to come that you don't see him sending out to the whole company. If the article above had you ready to hang up your wings and apply to be a WalMart greeter (or cave in to whatever management wants; ie: PBS, a crap contract), try the article below (same source, I might add).

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601209&sid=acjk9mbwtyfc

Don't let managements across the airline industry mislead us into giving up what's left of our quality of life. The economic recovery, shortage of new pilots (especially those with ATP's), new work rules, the coming retirements only delayed by the Age 65 Rule and maybe even the collapse of undercutters like Mesa (one can only hope) are going to add up to a good situation in the not too distant future. Better times are coming, hopefully sooner rather than later.

Are you listening, Pinnacle and Acey pilots?

I can't believe all of the anti PBS posts from the ASA groups. PBS is the best improvement in scheduling barr none. I get the trips I want and the days off as well.

I can't believe all of the anti PBS posts from the ASA groups. PBS is the best improvement in scheduling barr none. I get the trips I want and the days off as well.

ALPA has vilified PBS at our company because it is politically expedient for them to do so.

It's always smart to hope for the best, but prepare for the worst....Only a fool prepares for the best....

I think J.P. Morgan yesterday upgraded a bunch of airline stocks. Must be a reason....Didn't see S.H. post that link anywhere......

On another hand, most of us have no idea what PBS is all about. All we hear is no,no,no, stay away. So it makes us just assume the worst...

PBS is the boogy man.

SH needs to stop sending "the sky is falling" messages. Maybe he'll read this thread and post the JP Morgan results to us today that things are getting better.

It's always smart to hope for the best, but prepare for the worst....Only a fool prepares for the best....

Can't argue with you there. At the same time, if every pilot group is running around like a bunch of Chicken Littles, we all accept contracts that only serve to worsen the profession. When we realize that the industry will recover eventually, we can make improvements that others can build on, instead of consistently undercutting one another at the amusement of management.

I agree that we can't view management as the enemy, but managements also have to realize that this isn't just a hobby that we do for fun. This is how we feed our families and earn the money that we SPEND to drive this economy into a sustained recovery. If managements in all sectors of the economy would realize that cost cutting themselves into profitability by slashing employee pay only hurts the very engine that drives this country, we could see a return of the middle class with the spending power to buy the very goods and services that their businesses provide.

ALPA has vilified PBS at our company because it is politically expedient for them to do so.

I think our pilot group is just a little leary of giving the company even more control over our schedule when they've shown that if given an inch, they'll take a mile. Things had improved dramatically right after the new contract went into effect and I actually felt like scheduling was trying to do right by the pilots as well as the company. Unfortunately, the honeymoon ended and things have gradually deteriorated with the appearance of "Red Arrow" days (another word for "Restricted" that we're fighting right now), the return of substandard lines (read-very few 3 days) and the abuse of the Ready Reserve system. With PBS, quality of life for the senior folks will stay the same if not possibly improve somewhat, but for the rest of us, I get the impression that it will be the same as being on a relief line every month of the year.

The other thing I don't like about what I'm hearing is that in giving the company PBS, we become more efficient, thereby reducing the need to bring back our furloughed First Officers and displaced Captains. While I agree we need to be more efficient for the continued survival of the company, it's a tough pill to swallow knowing we're only prolonging their suffering. It would be a lot easier to accept if we had all our furloughees back on property and our displaced Captains back in the left seat.

Last edited:
Right, thanks Scott peddle your doom and gloom somewhere else. By posting all the bad with out any good at all just shows your integrity and puts our respect for you farther in the toilet.

The last pilot group that was happy with PBS was.....TWA? A rip-roaring positive precedent right there. Screw that.

Latest resources

Back