• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Counselair

"He said member..."
Hey Guys,

I just got the Treo 700w, windows based, and am ditching the paper logbook. I would like to use an electronic version that I can use on my laptop computer and sync with my Treo. I realize Logbook Pro advertises on this site but would like other opinions on different programs.

I am looking for the one that is the best all around Part 121 system, not some glorified spreadsheet, I'm not implying Logbook Pro is as I've never even seen their product. Just saying I'm willing to contemplate other products.

Thanks,

Counselair

I think most everyone around here will agree that "Logbook Pro" is the best basis for a electronic logbook around. For your Treo 700w you will need to get "Airline Pilot's Daily Aviation Logbook " which is also sold on the Logbook Pro site. It is designed to replace the little red/black book airline pilots carry and make entering times easy for 121 pilots. It will input your Jetblue schedules (via FLICA or BidBackage) for you automatically and have hotel info, track your legalities and Jetblue pay rigs etc. Really impressive stuff which then downloads to your PC and Logbook Pro so you don't have to reenter anything. You will want both, both have demos to try before you buy, and buying both at the same time saves you money.

Logbook Pro: http://www.logbookpro.com/Learn.aspx?ProductID=logbook-pro
Airline Logbook: http://www.logbookpro.com/Learn.aspx?ProductID=airline-pilots-daily-aviation-logbook&Section=Overview

Great review! Thanks Canyonblue, exactly the kind of review I'm looking for.

Counselair

canyonblue737 said:

Thanks again CB. In case other people may be interested I contacted them and I don't believe buying them together nets you a better price anymore. Here was the response I got:

"We do not have discounts for purchasing various products on our store; the cost would be 99.95 for Logbook Pro Professional and 59.95 for APDL"

I'm still gonna get it though.

Counselair

Counselair said:
Thanks again CB. In case other people may be interested I contacted them and I don't believe buying them together nets you a better price anymore. Here was the response I got:

"We do not have discounts for purchasing various products on our store; the cost would be 99.95 for Logbook Pro Professional and 59.95 for APDL"

I'm still gonna get it though.

Counselair
The Logbook Pro software is the key to #1 being able to view your data in whatever format you want, including endless graphs, pie charts etc. that breaks down your whole flying history (ie. how many hours of PIC turbine, instrument time, in the A320 did I have in the month of Dec 05...) and #2 print your logbook in a stunning Jepps pro format that an airline interviewer, or just you would love.

The Airline Logbook software is the key to being able to enter your data on the road in a custom form designed for Part 121 pilots specific to your airline. That data then works seemlessly with Logbook Pro to prevent having to reenter data on your PC.

PS: Counselair I would download the trial for APDL to try on your 700w since that phone is so new and have a unique resoultion, 240x240 instead of the more typical PocketPC resoultion of 240x320. I don't know if the software will have an issue with that and needs to be updated. Try and find out first although I am sure they will be updating an incompatibilities quickly as they always have in the past. The program is very popular for the Treo 650 (Palm version) and I see guys here at SWA using it all the time on the 650.

Last edited:
Counselair said:
Hey Guys,

I just got the Treo 700w, windows based, and am ditching the paper logbook.
Don't ditch it too soon. The FAA has not spoken on what "in a manner acceptable to the Administrator" is with respect to electronic logs.

How so? There is no rule about carrying a logbook in the cockpit with me. I didn't know the FAA could regulate how you kept your logs for currency whether it be electronic or paper. If they want paper, I'll print them off a spread sheet.

midlifeflyer said:
Don't ditch it too soon. The FAA has not spoken on what "in a manner acceptable to the Administrator" is with respect to electronic logs.

False. You print the log and sign the pages and it meets every stipulation of the FAA.

canyonblue737 said:
Counselair I would download the trial for APDL to try on your 700w since that phone is so new and have a unique resoultion, 240x240 instead of the more typical PocketPC resoultion of 240x320. I don't know if the software will have an issue with that and needs to be updated. Try and find out first although I am sure they will be updating an incompatibilities quickly as they always have in the past. The program is very popular for the Treo 650 (Palm version) and I see guys here at SWA using it all the time on the 650.

Again, great advice. I'll give it a shot. As far as logbooks for interviews go I'm sure I'm at the last place I'll finish out my career so I don't have to worry about that. ;)

Thanks Again,

Counselair

canyonblue737 said:
False. You print the log and sign the pages and it meets every stipulation of the FAA.
If you say so. Can you give me the reference to the FAA document that says so? I've been looking for it ever since I asked the Legal Counsel's office about it 5 years ago and they said they were working on guidelines.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back