• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Electronic Logbooks- What do you use?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I'm new to electronic logs, my questions is how do you get sign offs, training logged time signed by CFI, etc. Do you still need to keep a paper log? Before I buy one I would like to know some information on this. Thanks.

I still use my paper logbook and show that at interviews. Logbook Pro is good. Makes application's very simple, and when inputting the numbers from the paper log I found errors that needed to be corrected.

I don't print it out for the interview though, The binders and paper are a little more than I can afford at the moment.

AV8TR70 said:
I'm new to electronic logs, my questions is how do you get sign offs, training logged time signed by CFI, etc. Do you still need to keep a paper log? Before I buy one I would like to know some information on this. Thanks.
I think that electronic verification of endorsements is one of the issue. Who "signs" the electronic log and how? Will paper backup be necessary?

The FAA has looked at some electronic logs in the maintenance area, but AFAIK, so far it has insisted on double record keeping with paper backups.

midlifeflyer said:
I think that electronic verification of endorsements is one of the issue. Who "signs" the electronic log and how? Will paper backup be necessary?

The FAA has looked at some electronic logs in the maintenance area, but AFAIK, so far it has insisted on double record keeping with paper backups.

Couldn't an instructor/examiner just sign a sheet that you could keep in a file? Back before I saw the light and stopped flying helicopters, I had to accomplish specific training to CFI in an R22. The examiner just handed me a signed 3x5 card with the pertinent info that I stapled into the back of my logbook.

Has anyone, after years of flying, attempted to enter all of their flights into Logbook Pro? I started, but gave up after a few hours of work...and I hadn't even entered the first few hundred hours of my flight time.

I switched back to paper from logbookpro, because the palmpilot I had kept losing contact with the batteries and all info was lost between hotsyncs. Moral of the story, if your going to use an electronic book hotsync after every trip, not just when you upload your line.

hyflyt560 said:
Couldn't an instructor/examiner just sign a sheet that you could keep in a file?
Sure you could. But the ultimate goal of electronic record keeping is to have all the records kept electronically.

Futuristically (is that a word?), how about this: All airplanes will require GPS. When a pilot, or crew, get into the cockpit, they swipe their personal ID card of some type, and then all information is uploaded and tracked, i.e. aircraft type, day/night, landings, destinations, flight time, etc. Taken further, the airlines could track this information, and when a need arises to hire crews, they could just run a filter of all pilots and send out interview invites. Or, the FAA could send you a nice little notice that you exceeded crew duty limits. Or, worse yet, your spouse could find out that in fact you were NOT on the overnight in Bozeman as you stated as you walked out the door with your roll-a-board.

I was a FlightLevel 2003 user and switched to Logbook Pro. It's awesome. I spent an hour or two a day for about a week putting in all my data from flight no.1. A couple years later, I decided to switch to LB Pro. NC Software generated an import file for me so that I could use Logbook Pro. Now I have every flight in there, covering 5000+ hours. It's a pretty robust software package. Also, the latest version allows you to import a .jpg of your handwritten signature, and will put that at the bottom of the Jepp style printouts, so you don't have to go back and physically sign each page. Pretty neat. You can also export your logbook (in a Jepp format) to a .pdf file. Take that on a floppy to Kinko's and have it printed and bound - for about $5.00.

I use logshare.com . It is free and certainly adequate for private owners. I suggest users backup to excel every few flights since the site sometimes goes down, and I guess the owner could just pull the plug on it someday.

White Feather said:
I was a FlightLevel 2003 user and switched to Logbook Pro. It's awesome. I spent an hour or two a day for about a week putting in all my data from flight no.1. A couple years later, I decided to switch to LB Pro. NC Software generated an import file for me so that I could use Logbook Pro. Now I have every flight in there, covering 5000+ hours. It's a pretty robust software package. Also, the latest version allows you to import a .jpg of your handwritten signature, and will put that at the bottom of the Jepp style printouts, so you don't have to go back and physically sign each page. Pretty neat. You can also export your logbook (in a Jepp format) to a .pdf file. Take that on a floppy to Kinko's and have it printed and bound - for about $5.00.

Nice write-up. I think I am going to do the same jump you have. What was your reason for you to abandon FL2003? I for one am getting tired of paying 50 bucks for every update.

Latest resources

Back