Electronic Log Book Advice and CrewTrac

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Zephyrhills

I am thinking of making the switch from my faithful little 'Red Book' that has been a part of my velcro-flapped pocket pilot shirt for 10 years now, to the modern electronic version. This is a huge leap for me, and I have no idea what I even need to get to make this work.

Is there such a thing as an electronic logbook that syncs with CrewTrac (AirTran version if it matters) whereas at the end of each month, I can sync my electronic logbook with CrewTrac to automatically capture Actual Block Times, Ship #, etc...so all I have to manually enter is who flew the leg, IFR, and night?

Do most of you use a PDA to keep track of your times, by typing in data for each leg (Block, IFR, Night, etc)?

I'd like to avoid having to carry around a PDA if it is possible for my laptop to sync with CrewTrac at the end of each month.

Does any of this even make any sense???

LogBook Pro

Try Logbook Pro. I think that it will do what you want. You can download it and every function will work for 50 entries. Then if you want more, you have to buy it. http://www.logbookpro.com/.

If you think about doing it. PM me and I will give you some help.

I downloaded and tried LogbookPro and the Airline Pilot Daily Aviation Log add-on. The Airline Pilot add-on is only for a PDA, and doesn't help with the main LogbookPro software. It seems that with this add-on, you can 'cut and paste' your schedule from CrewTrac into your PDA...not quite what I am looking to do. The LogbookPro software doesn't sync with CrewTrac at all, from what I can tell, outside of cutting and pasting your schedule from CrewTrac to a PDA.

Bummer.

Last edited:
Zephyrhills said:
I downloaded and tried LogbookPro and the Airline Pilot Daily Aviation Log add-on. The Airline Pilot add-on is only for a PDA, and doesn't help with the main LogbookPro software. I seems that with this add-on, you can 'cut and paste' your schedule from CrewTrac into your PDA...not quite what I am looking to do. The LogbookPro software doesn't sync with CrewTrac at all, from what I can tell, outside of cutting and pasting your schedule from CrewTrac to a PDA.

Zephyr

I'm not sure I completely understand what you are trying to do, but I will tell you how I use the two programs. I am very happy with them.

APDL is my main program for day-to-day ops. When I get a trip, I cut and paste it from Maestro (sounds like your CrewTrac) into the APDL schedule importer. This zaps the trip into my PDA, and I go fly. I enter my actual block times, A/C, crew, categories, etc as I fly each leg. The APDL does a pretty good job of tracking anything that an airline pilot would wish to keep track of while working your month.

A couple of times a month, I plug the PDA into the home PC and do a data dump into Logbook Pro. This is a very simple synchronization, not a cut and paste job. I don't do much with it once it is in LBP, but it serves to back up the data on my PDA, and if I have to dust off the interview suit again, LBP is where I will print my logbook from.

You can PM me if you want any help.
DR

I tried Logbook pro (I still have the original download, $45 or something) and after a couple of three-hour sessions, I gave up. It's really just a glorified database/spreadsheet program and it simply took too long to enter stuff from all of my old logbooks.

That said, making the decision to start now (and not enter all your old logbooks) might make it an easier move. The output is sharp looking, but there's no way for endorsements to be entered. That's not a big deal if you don't need them, but again, going back and transferring makes it impossible.

I tried a PDA version and gave up after the second day. It's a lot easier just to enter by hand (regular logbook) or by keyboard (computer logbook) than it is to use a PDA. In fact, although the idea sounds good, I have yet to meet anyone who actually uses a PDA daily to keep their times. Just too much of a hassle.

In the end, I think a leather Jeppesen logbook with careful entries is the best way to go.

I have had LBPRO on my desktop for years and it works great. Got a Treo a few months back and got the LBPRO PDA version. It totally sucks and I wouldn't even waste my time with their PDA Version. It is expensive and is probably the worst PDA program I have ever seen. It doens't work on most PDA's without an extra program that runs $25. They do however own APDL which is the program with the cut and paste version of the schedule importer. It is very expensive and the customer service that they offer at that company is horrible. I would steer totally clear of any product from Logbook Pro or the APDL program. The APDL program isn't that bad but they are on my boycot list due to a customer service issue that basically cost me $75 for stuff I did not need and they wouldn't return my money because "you can try it out for free before you buy it". Watch it when you are buying stuff from them because they will load you up with crap that is useless and then not refund your money like a reputable company should do.

UALjan15 said:
Zephyr

I'm not sure I completely understand what you are trying to do, but I will tell you how I use the two programs. I am very happy with them.

APDL is my main program for day-to-day ops. When I get a trip, I cut and paste it from Maestro (sounds like your CrewTrac) into the APDL schedule importer. This zaps the trip into my PDA, and I go fly. I enter my actual block times, A/C, crew, categories, etc as I fly each leg. The APDL does a pretty good job of tracking anything that an airline pilot would wish to keep track of while working your month.

A couple of times a month, I plug the PDA into the home PC and do a data dump into Logbook Pro. This is a very simple synchronization, not a cut and paste job. I don't do much with it once it is in LBP, but it serves to back up the data on my PDA, and if I have to dust off the interview suit again, LBP is where I will print my logbook from.

DR

Perhaps what I am trying to do is not yet available...

I do not want to carry around a PDA with me on my flights. I am trying to get away from logging times after each leg, be it in a PDA or my trusty ol' Red Book.

I was hoping to find a logbook program that would 'sync' with our company's CrewTrac (Sabre), whereas all of my flights would be down-loadable into a logbook format. All I would have to enter is the stuff that CrewTrac doesn't include (Night, IFR, Who Flew, etc).

Zephyrhills said:
Perhaps what I am trying to do is not yet available...

From the research that I've made, LBPro appears to be the program with the most extensive options for syncing schedules and saving time. No programs sync with Sabre...yet, from what I can tell. I think you would be impressed with the efficiency of LBPro however - it just takes some time to learn.

UALjan15 said:
Zephyr

DR

How do you cut and paste from maestro? I can only do it from WBid and it doesn't download the hotels or the start and finish times. They have to be inputted by hand. Do you mean Moostro?

radarlove said:
I tried Logbook pro (I still have the original download, $45 or something) and after a couple of three-hour sessions, I gave up. ...

I tried a PDA version and gave up after the second day. ...I have yet to meet anyone who actually uses a PDA daily to keep their times.

Just too much of a hassle.

In the end, I think a leather Jeppesen logbook with careful entries is the best way to go.

Well...

I've been using LBP since '98, and I have kept it updated since then (many updates since the original). I've been using APDL daily on my Palm Zire PDA since May. I agree that it takes some effort to get the program up to speed, but IMHO it takes effort to do it the manual way on paper. Once I had it set up, I have found the effort to be minimal to keep it updated. One reason it is easier for me now is because of APDL. I import my schedule onto my PDA and then all I have to enter manually is the tail number and the actual block times. When I get home I hotsync to LBP and the data is there ready to be used as I see fit.

I used to use an LRB and master logbook. I am firmly convinced there is no easier way to keep up with my logbook than with the combination of LBP and APDL.

If you don't have any concerns about attending interviews, you don't need to make any initial entries in LBP. Just get it and APDL set up and start importing your trips and do your hotsyncing. Again, IMHO it doesn't get any simpler or easier.

As far as a program where you can import your schedule at the end of the month - I haven't heard of any such program. If you are proficient with spreadsheets or other file formats you might be able to save your data as an Excel file and import into LBP. That is something that I'm not up to speed on as I have never needed to do it this way.

Try sending an email to Neal Culiner at NC Software asking if it is possible to do this. If anyone would know, it would be Neal.

My 2 cents...worth what you paid for it!

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back