• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

EK to IAD

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
But not the pay. Over at EK, Starting FOs bring home about 11k a month tax free if you take the housing allowance. I dont even think VA capts beat that by much

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

Can you live decently over there outside of company housing? Is it more cost effective?

Can you live decently over there outside of company housing? Is it more cost effective?

Short answer...yes.

Long answer. There are a lot of things to consider when moving out of company accom. Here are a few.

1. You can never go back to company accom.
2. DEWA (water and elect) seems to like to jack up the rates for expats and implement fees. You are basically paying for the local's free water and elect. Where are these fees going to be in 5-10 years if you are still here.
3. Rent is low right now, how much is it going to increase in the next few years and will the allowance increase as well? Are you going to be able to maintain your quality of living if the allowance is not increased but your rent goes up.
4. If you buy property, do you really want to be tied to the area or do you want to be able to make a quick get-away if necessary.

5. FLIP side...taking the allowance is free money and if you pay for a house with it, it is just icing on the cake.....so if you have to up and leave it, nothing gained nothing lost really. If you leave normally though you can sell the house and take the lump sum.

Good info..thanks. I like the idea of taking the $$ and living cheaper to shore up the FO pay, but the company accom would shield you from local market forces. I'd be keeping a household going here and the extra savings would help...the gang here isn't too keen on moving. I realize this isn't a commuting operation so they'd have to just deal with it.

It all hinges on how deep the cuts AMR gets...EK is looking better every day...

Latest intel that I am hearing is that there are no more Boeing courses for the near future. How long that will last remains to be seen.

Latest intel that I am hearing is that there are no more Boeing courses for the near future. How long that will last remains to be seen.

Two part question

1. My understanding is that new hires go to the 330. After 6 months they get dual qualed on the 340, and after a year they can go to the 380. Is this correct?

2. With Emirates time on type requirement for upgrade, how does it work for the airbus. Can an fo with most time spent on the 380 lets say, upgrade in the 330?

Thanks

Wow how come?

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

They are concentrating on airbus hiring now and for DEC's. I think the need for airbus pilots was underestimated and now they are having to play catch up. We are fairly well staffed for FO's on the Boeing side now but I see that changing fairly quickly as the new routes come online in the next few months.

Two part question

1. My understanding is that new hires go to the 330. After 6 months they get dual qualed on the 340, and after a year they can go to the 380. Is this correct?

2. With Emirates time on type requirement for upgrade, how does it work for the airbus. Can an fo with most time spent on the 380 lets say, upgrade in the 330?

Thanks

1. Yes, basically correct. I have heard one year to qual on the 340 but that may have changed. Notice below though, if you chose to go to the 380 and then upgrade on the 330 rather than just sticking it out a little longer on the 380 for upgrade on that, make sure you get at least 700 hours on the 330 before making your initial move to the 380.

The minimum requirements for upgrade to command on the Airbus
A330/340 and B777 fleets for A380 First Officers are:
-6,000 hours Total Time
-2,500 hours Emirates operating time and 3 years’ service in
Emirates, on any fleet
-700 hours Emirates operating time on the fleet on which the upgrade
is planned
-2 years from the date of successful completion of initial PPC on the
A380.

Minimum Experience for A380 Command on Type
-6,000 hours Total Time
-3,000 EK hours of which 2,500 hours must be on EK A380

Last edited:
1. Yes, basically correct. I have heard one year to qual on the 340 but that may have changed. Notice below though, if you chose to go to the 380 and then upgrade on the 330 rather than just sticking it out a little longer on the 380 for upgrade on that, make sure you get at least 700 hours on that aircraft at Emirates before making the move to the 380.

The minimum requirements for upgrade to command on the Airbus
-A330/340 and B777 fleets for A380 First Officers are:
-6,000 hours Total Time
-2,500 hours Emirates operating time and 3 years’ service in
Emirates, on any fleet
-700 hours Emirates operating time on the fleet on which the upgrade
is planned
-2 years from the date of successful completion of initial PPC on the
A380.

Minimum Experience for A380 Command on Type
-6,000 hours Total Time
-3,000 EK hours of which 2,500 hours must be on EK A380

So then the 330/340 are counted as same type for that 700 hr requirement? Thanks again.

Latest resources

Back