Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

EJA/Hawker Midair w/ Glider....Everyone OK - Merged!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Guitar rocker said:
How would a radio defeat the purpose of soaring? I wonder, how would you then define soaring? Would that be flying around without a radio or perhaps flying an aircraft that is not powered? Wouldnt it be nice to listen and hear who else is around? Maybe I am just too used to using and listening to a radio, but I dont see how that could possibly interfere with soaring.

I would think part of the attraction of piloting a glider is the peace and quite. Now you have that radio blaring away. It just my opinion GR we don’t have to fight about this. But what’s next sticking transponders up skydivers butts.

Dr Pokenhiemer said:
The glider may have been struck from behind--he may have started a climb just at the wrong instance and pulled up into the path of the Hawker--who knows?

No matter. Unless you're flying a balloon, the glider has right of way. If your local friendly FAA guy wanted to hand out a violation, it would go to the Hawker driver.

Anyway, good to hear everyone got on the ground safe.

C680 said:
Yea?? Are you speaking from experience gutshot?

Sort of. 17 years ago, I watched a Hawker 700 blow a tire, depart the runway, and bounce through the infield across the taxiways. The gear didn't collapse and they flew the plane out two weeks later. Very rugged. I've also flown both extensively and can't think of any better aircraft to land gear up.

The crew of the 800 did a great job getting safely on the ground.

One thing that strikes me reading all the coverage is all the praise for the captain landing the airplane a) injured and b) with the avionics in her lap. What I'm curious about is did she actually land the airplane, or did she turn over the controls to the SIC (one of the main points taught during CRM courses)?

I'm not slamming her, she did a great job either way. I'm just curious.

Holy sh88t!

C680 said:
http://www.newscarsoncity.com/Assets/Video/Playlist8-29Collision.wvx

Mainstream media could take a cue from little Carson City news outlet. Good concise coverage.

Wow I cannot believe how lucky they are to still be walking terra firma. The video is cool, but I really want that cockpit video recorder tape to see what that looked like from her (The El Capatain's) perspective. Put yourself in her seat, how beyond shockingly scary that must have been. What was the pulse rate in the moments following that unscheduled rendesvous?

Congrats to the crews, and get well soon. Dang!

Smellycat said:
The video is cool, but I really want that cockpit video recorder tape to see what that looked like from her (The El Capatain's) perspective.

That does not exist and hopefully never will. My take: we will see the day of pilotless passenger carrying before we see cockpit video.

727gm said:
Great airmanship, agreed. The glorious Hawker pulls through, again.

Most gliders have no electrical system and no place to put an expensive TCAS system. A mode-C transponder would be nice, and they ARE getting smaller. Gliders carry no fuel, so can stay up far longer than a continuously-replying transponder's battery could last. Many have no nav or com radios. Many have no oxygen, and are therefore below 14000/12500 feet. Typically those above 14000 are better outfitted, with radios, GPS, 0xy, and (possibly) a transponder. Those above 18000 feet will normally be in a "wave window", a letter-of-agreement defined box that ATC will not be letting any other traffic into (very small defined area worked out for Wave flights), so not a problem for airplanes in Class A airspace.

They DO have great visibility. I've seen many jets, 210's, Bonanzas, etc, that I don't think ever saw me, but the glider doesn't have a cockpit full of "Attractive Nuisances" to detract from the job of seeing-and-avoiding.

These are very good points. Very few gliders have mode C. Mine is one of a handful. Out at Minden I have never seen a glider without a comm radio, and 90% have oxygen as high altitude flights are the norm out there. Most of the ships use a battery setup with a solar panel for a trickle charge, but the problem is most of the radios have limited freqs. On 95% of the flights in the area the gliders are only on unicomm, or soar minden ops.

There are 3 wave windows at Minden. Before going above 17999 you have to call soar minden ops to get the window opened. They will call okland center, and call you back when the window is open, and give you a max alt that the window is open to and how long the window will be open. Once above 18,000 Okland should keep all Class A traffic out of the window, but I've had close calls before.

Great job to the Crew!!!

I don't know about Goof Streams or Hawkers, but I would bet my life in a Falcon, especially a 20 and I know many whom have. Tank is an understatement. Just ask a MX guy how many bolts they got on the 20 to scure the wings to the fuslage. It was made to land on a carrier if that tells you anything. My 2 cents.

PS. just check the accident reports on Falcons vs Other Aircraft.

Heard it was a brand new sailpane and was fully equipped, but pilot was ridge soaring in the box and knew there is no requirement for the transponder so he had it off...was talking to soar ops...and atc is being talked to as the box was open to fl 240 at the time.....3 Sailplanes were higher then the collison A/C

Latest resources

Back