• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Effective date for age 65

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Ya, we have had a couple guys fly west, or almost, while they were actually flying west. All were in their mid to late fifties. The combination of today’s schedules, stress, and the proposed increase of age is a recipe for disaster IMHO.

Unless you were there for the autopsy...you really don't know what caused those cardiac events other than a clogged artery ( -ies).

3 guys is not an epidemic...nor cause for alarm. If they or anybody is really stressed from this job...they really should look for something else...or get on a treadmill.

But studies are studies and these are the facts...

No, you have not posted the study. You've posted a newspaper article where the author has interpreted the study. I'd view the study at neurology.org, but they want $20 to see it. I'll opt to pass.

It shows that an older pilot is as good as a younger one.

Absolutely NOT! "Regarding age, even though older pilots initially performed worse than younger pilots, over time older pilots showed less decline in flight summary scores than younger pilots." (reference: http://www.neurology.org/cgi/content/abstract/68/9/648)
NOTHING states that older pilots are as good as younger ones.bb

Instead, the study suggested that "crystallized knowledge" based on years of practice may allow pilots -- like musicians or athletes, and possibly many other categories of "older expert workers" -- to adapt surprisingly well to the declines of normal aging."

So are you saying that crystallized knowledge is much more valuable to pilots than fluid thinking ability? I saw NO mention of fluid thinking ability in the newspaper article. Since these tests were done in simulators in a static environment, I would expect crystallized knowledge to be of more value. But operating an aircraft in real life is not simply rote procedure.

Don't forget that you'll be in this catagory someday and you may want to work to 65. But then you'll just change your mind and become one of those senior guys that always screw the junior guys on property just to get yours....

Nice. Way to leap to conclusions based on my opposition to changing this rule.

It shows, from this study's perspective that there is no credible reason why the retirement age should not be raised to follow the rest of the world.

No, the article states: "It is time to reconsider fixed age limits for the workplace and consider transitioning to competency-based evaluations of performance," said the editorial authors, Dr. Joseph L. Sirven of the Mayo Clinic and Daniel G. Morrow of the University of Illinois at Champaign-Urbana.

Andy... give me the facts to counter this... so far you can't post anything other than your opinion... I'm posting studies and facts.

No, you're not posting studies and facts; you've posted a newspaper article that is based on the author's opinion.

Unless you were there for the autopsy...you really don't know what caused those cardiac events other than a clogged artery ( -ies).

3 guys is not an epidemic...nor cause for alarm. If they or anybody is really stressed from this job...they really should look for something else...or get on a treadmill.

You don't need to undersand what caused the on duty heart attacks to understand you need to relate the fact they happened to the overall safety dynamic. They happened! There is no ignoring it, and yes, the system worked. The current system. We should proceed with caution when considering a change. BTW: On duty heart attack number 2 would have been heart attack death number two if the FA would have used the on board defibulator correctly. You're only supposed to shock them 3 times. She shocked him 6, and the last one worked.

Thanks for the treadmill suggestion. I'm sure that's the cure all. Couldn't possibly have anything to do with flying a widebody to the other side of the planet?!

You all want your cake and eat it too!

You're right! Those who benefited from the age 60 rule throughout their careers now want it both ways by having the rule changed so they can extend their highest earnings years at the expense of those younger and junior to them. I better go buy some stock in Betty Crocker! :rolleyes:

Andy, you sound like a guy who just wants other people to think he's smart. I don't like age 65 either but you and your lack of fact based theory is just annoying.

Thanks for the treadmill suggestion. I'm sure that's the cure all. Couldn't possibly have anything to do with flying a widebody to the other side of the planet?!

Is that really the cause? Where's the proof? If flying a widebody to the other side of the planet is the cause...then don't bid the widebody flying to the other side of the planet.

Anybody got those autopsy reports yet !?!?!?

Is it just me...or does it seem like some guys fly scared?

Last edited:
Is that really the cause? Where's the proof? If flying a widebody to the other side of the planet is the cause...then don't bid the widebody flying to the other side of the planet.

Anybody got those autopsy reports yet !?!?!?

Is it just me...or does it seem like some guys fly scared?

Tejas it is just you

I did post a study Andy... RTFpost... a study on longevity after retirement vs. the other non-flying part of the white male population. Yet you forget and purposely avoid that part of my retort. You wanted a link and the facts and I gave them to you. Yet you still kick and scream and whine like my 4 yr. old and spout out useless blurbs and factless information. I again state... either post some facts or go home.....

tail

ps-the study that I provide a factual link to was and is sanctioned by the FAA... some of you guys who hide on this board know it all don't ya... why don't you start your own airline.... you seem so smart and righteous and bash simple facts as false... maybe you are the second coming of Einstein and the world would benefit from your leadership....... NOT.

Andy, you sound like a guy who just wants other people to think he's smart. I don't like age 65 either but you and your lack of fact based theory is just annoying.

I've posted all of this before, but I'll do it one more time just for you.

http://www.faa.gov/library/reports/medical/age60/media/age60_2.pdf
http://www.faa.gov/library/reports/medical/age60/media/age60_3.pdf
http://www.faa.gov/library/reports/medical/age60/media/age60_4.pdf
http://www.faa.gov/library/reports/medical/age60/media/age60_1.pdf

There are quite a few other studies out there with the same conclusions, but many are not recent. If you pull up some of my old posts, you'll find that I've posted a multitude of links to studies.

FWIW, I've spent a lot of hours reading various studies and opinions on this matter. I could care less whether or not you think I'm smart; it's totally irrelevent to the subject. If you truly want to see facts that I've posted in the past, you will do your homework and read a bunch of my previous posts.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back