EEEK, Typical Mesa schedule

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
cforst513 said:
real quick hijack: reserve, can someone explain this? is it basically being on call and ready to go for those hours you're scheduled?

Yeah cforst, it's basically on-call duty periods. You'll have your "reserve days", which are periods of time which you are responsible for a callout. It varies between airlines, but normally you'll find a 12-15 hour duty day, with a two hour callout. Example: You have reserve Monday through Thursday, with Fri/Sat/Sun off. Your callout period is 6am to 9pm, and you have a two-hour callout. So starting at 6am, scheduling can call you and assign you a pairing, and you have two hours to report for that flight.

There is more associated with it, but that's the general idea.

labbats said:
Ok, I'll bite. What things at Mesa are better than other regionals? Besides being the only regional flying 90 passengers at a time for $21 first year, then a big jump to $28 second year. Just don't go over block, because you won't get paid, right?

My first post was mainly to stir up some people, I'll be honest, if I see anyone in a pilot uniform in an airport, I'll smile and nod politely. I won't dig on you behind your back after you ask to jumpseat. But it does bother me that management compares our pay and contract to that of Mesa as a way to show us up. Mesa is indeed a lot lower pay and work rules, a bargaining chip to be weilded when times get tight at other carriers. That is hard to respect.

Try getting a good contract after 911 and having to deal with Freedumb. Who do you work for?

Cloudroller said:
Try getting a good contract after 911 and having to deal with Freedumb. Who do you work for?

if you truly believe that then keep the current MEC leadership and NC and do not support Angelo and his "reform" movement.

a lot was given away (some things flat out FORGOTTEN, ie move days) all in the name of fighting freedom. this NC f@#$ed up and REFUSES to take responsibility.

no dues for mutton chop hughes.

labbats said:
Ok, I'll bite. What things at Mesa are better than other regionals? Besides being the only regional flying 90 passengers at a time for $21 first year, then a big jump to $28 second year. Just don't go over block, because you won't get paid, right?

My first post was mainly to stir up some people, I'll be honest, if I see anyone in a pilot uniform in an airport, I'll smile and nod politely. I won't dig on you behind your back after you ask to jumpseat. But it does bother me that management compares our pay and contract to that of Mesa as a way to show us up. Mesa is indeed a lot lower pay and work rules, a bargaining chip to be weilded when times get tight at other carriers. That is hard to respect.

I agree that Mesa isn't the best regional out there. Other airlines have us beat in many areas, but like I said, there are some things that are better here, at least for me.

As a first/second year Beech 1900 FO, I have already made over $24,000 so far this year (and have an upgrade class date for next month.) The pay isn't great, but I would bet it's better than most other Beech FOs out there. Although I don't agree with how our management runs things, I do think I have a reasonable amount of job security (if there is such a thing in aviation anymore.) I have 3 nights a week at home even as a commuter, and since I have some seniority, the lack of reserve work rules really doesn't affect me too much. I'm not saying that Mesa is the best place to be, I just think that in my position, starting over at the bottom of another regional would not be a good idea. All regional pay is crappy and right now my quality of life isn't bad.

If you don't respect Mesa, that's fine. I don't have any respect for our management either. All I ask is that you don't judge our pilot group by our contract or the actions of our management. We have a good group of guys here (minus a few Freedom A-listers) who will be more than willing to help out any fellow pilots with a jumpseat or anything else.

kevin_p said:
I do think I have a reasonable amount of job security

You frickin scum. The only reason you do is because you accept a working for a horrible company with horrible pay and rules, just so you can have your precious job security and make the regionals worst for the rest of us. My best friend who works at Comair's gonna be out on the street soon, all the while Freedumb starts w/ DCI.

If the Mesa workgroup would join together and raise their sub-terrainian bar, the entire regional industry would gain QOL. But no, half the F/O's are 22 and right out of college, just happy that they're flying a shiny jet for peanuts. Im frickin sick of hearing our CEO saying we have to be more competitive cost-wise to compete w/ Mesa.

relief tube said:
You frickin scum. The only reason you do is because you accept a working for a horrible company with horrible pay and rules, just so you can have your precious job security and make the regionals worst for the rest of us. My best friend who works at Comair's gonna be out on the street soon, all the while Freedumb starts w/ DCI.

You know what? You're right...I'm so sorry I'm stealing a job from one of your little friends. I wasn't aware Comair flew Beech 1900s out of podunk, kansas like I do. Did you ever stop and think that there were plenty of people thinking your best friend was scum for taking Delta's flying? I bet he single-handedly caused all the furloughs at Delta, didn't he?? Oh yeah...that's different. Is ASA scum also for not giving their flying to Comair?? What about Chautauqua...they're scum too for taking flying that could've gone to your buddy. Oh and Skywest...they're all scum too for actually competing in a free market with the almighty Comair.

Have some class and stop blaming Mesa for all that ails the airline industry.

labbats said:

By the way who do you work for and what proof do you have that your management compares your contract to ours to make a point to you? By the way, I don't know of a single company where the pilots don't think management isn't paying them enough. I think they could all pay us more but that just isn't happening. I've been here for almost 2 years and in the last 10 months, I've average 88 hours a month wth almost every weekend off. I could fly more but being married, I like having the weekends off to do things with my wife. By the way, in a 28 day bid period I've gotten 13-14 days off consistantly. That's half the bid period. I am within a year of upgrade. As Philly closes I did get a mixed line. The last three days were reserve and I've been home with no call. Good thing is with a mixed reserve I can sit home and collect 3.9 hours of flight pay. I don't plan on being here forever but trust me, I know people who do. If they can handle all the things thrown at them and want to stay here forever, all the best for them. Things can't be so radically diferent at your company unless you fail to see them. By the way, you just fly for a regional...get over yourself.

My gawsh! Kids like Relief Tube and Labbats just KILL me in their attempts to pin the perils of the regional industry on the likes of Mesa, CHQ...the list goes on. I have a feeling that both of you didn't even graduate from college (an accredited college...no, online degrees don't count!) and have little real world experience prior to aviation other than sacking groceries at Safeway. Yet, you're the ones that continue to demean practically every regional for "lowering the bar", and "dragging down the industry". Like you have any grounds to speak!

And your rationale continues to be comparisons in pay, QOL, and management (or working for scumbag management...which I guess is isolated to the likes of CHQ and Mesa?). As far as I can tell, the differences in pay amongst ALL regionals amounts to, on average, less than $10 an hour. Heck, for FO's, most likely $2-6 per hour between the "bottom feeders" and the carriers you deem are raising the bar. Anyone that uses the arguement of pay needs to step out of the aviation world, and maybe do a bit of research on other "professions". For example, take my industry (engineering)...the differences in pay are in the THOUSANDS...not a few bucks. And we're not complaining that our competition is "lowering the bar" because their junior engineers make $65K a year, while ours make $75K. In short, you're talking about CHUMP change! ALL...and I repeat ALL of you make JACK S-Q-U-A-T compared to other professions (and so did I when I used to work at a regional, so I can relate). Once the likes of XXX regional gets a contract that commands a "professional" salary of an FO starting out at $55k a year, THEN you can complain about the CHQ's and Mesa's "bringing down the industry".

I really pity some of you that feel the need to demean all the pilots at other regionals...segregating yourselves like you're in ANY way different. I hate to tell you, but you're not. For the most part, you all look the same, fly the same equipment, and GET PAID THE SAME! Oh yeah, and guess what...you ALL work for scumbag management that could care LESS about you. And you want to know something else, those scumbag CEO's (like Ornstein) love NOTHING better than to see you children segregating yourselves, and tearing each other apart. In fact, their biggest fear is when the ENTIRE pilot community unites, starts embracing one another, and DOES something about the injustices that are taking place in your esteemed industry. However, those kids like Relief Tube and Labatts simply won't allow that to happen. It's a shame...it truly is a shame.

...but don't listen to me though.

relief tube said:
kevin_p said:
I do think I have a reasonable amount of job security

If the Mesa workgroup would join together and raise their sub-terrainian bar, the entire regional industry would gain QOL. But no, half the F/O's are 22 and right out of college, just happy that they're flying a shiny jet for peanuts. Im frickin sick of hearing our CEO saying we have to be more competitive cost-wise to compete w/ Mesa.

Dude, you're a tool. Where else in this industry do you find a regional without a bunch of young people at the entry level. Your argument in pitiful. I'm waiting for facts on the sad post. Who do you work for?

I could point fingers to other companies too but that would be lame. Sorta like your mad ramblings.

Latest resources

Back