Eclipse Mentor Program PFT

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
not true pft

maybe i am looking at this wrong, but the eclipse program doesn't exactly meet my definition of pft, because the mentor is not going to be an employee of eclipse.... right? they will in reality be contract pilots.

if that is true, paying to qualify as a mentor is probably a good business opportunity for those qualified. i view this as being similar to a G-V contract pilot paying out of pocket for his recurrent training. both are expensive, but they each are a means to make a pretty good living. i think that there will be a healthy demand for mentor pilots, in as much as eclipse seems to have sold a bunch of planes already, and they are making the standards high enough in terms of experience that hopefully the whores won't qualify.

in my opinion, this would only wreak of pft if the mentor's paychecks came from eclipse, or if the mentor status is NOT something that you will own, to exercise for your benefit, at your discretion.

GIA = PFT
Eaglejet = PFT
paying 10k to work as an fo at a regional = PFT

i don't think this is quite the same as pft.

-casper

Good point

Casper,

Good points. PFT was the wrong wording to include on the title line of my original post. Should have asked the question like "Mentor program: Good or bad for contract pilots?"

It will be interesting to see how this program developes. There may be some potential here, but it is yet to be determined if the initial investment will provide any kind of worthwhile payday. If anyone ever gets some hard numbers on this let us know.
F100

AZ Typed said:
Appearantly I don't have too bad of an attitude because I literally went from the furlough into a sweet 91/135 gig that I really enjoy, and I wasn't even looking for it. It came to me.
AZT
Is this the same job with the awful pilots you wouldn't trust your family with?

AZ Typed said:
Here we go again. You need 5000 hours to mentor an E pilot? Give me a break. You need 3000 PIC to mentor an E pilot? Spare me. I have yet to fly with a competent pilot outside of 121 - thank God they are using UAL for some of the training. Oh wait - if you don't have 5000 hours you're not "good" enough anyways. Don't get me wrong, fools exist in 121. But these E machines will be mostly private 91 / 135 and the people teaching them, who may have 5000 TT and 3000 PIC, are likley the same morons flying around right now 91 or 135 (a la Houston). You can teach a monkey to fly this thing - the requirements to be a mentor pilot are ridiculous. But what do I know anyways? I'm the crazy one who takes off into the wind, files the preferred route, and can plan a descent.

AZT

This may well have been your own personal experience, but to claim that 121 makes you a higher aviation mortal than the mere 91/135 types is pomposity of the most unbelievable degree. As a former 135 Check Airman, I flew with my share of 121 types and to tell you the truth, I wasn't too impressed one way or the other. Some were good, some mediocre. I've known some 135 and 91 types who are professionals in every sense of the word, and I'd trust them to fly my family any day over some of the 121 types. Seems to me I recollect some 121 pilots actually being involved in pilot error accidents (AAL in LIT comes to mind). No disrespect intended to them, but it illustrates my point. Training and type of flying don't make the pilot as much as the pilot makes the pilot!

Must be nice to have s**t that doesn't stink!!!

AZ Typed said:
So - my problem is that an eclipse mentor pilot has to have 3000 of jet PIC. My concern is getting the cockpit nazi, clueless as to IFR procedures as it is, in the right seat of an eclipse with his doctor client in the left seat. And this is safer than a 10 year US Air FO who also sits in the box, but lacks the jet PIC time. It's not - and that's my problem.
AZT, you are a loser. 1st of all, you just don't know what you are talking about. All FOs at US Air have jet PIC time. They have ALL been captains at US Air. I do agree that there are some ego driven basta#ds in P91 and it sux, cause they hog the stick. They are also present in P121, but they swap each leg usually, and as long as that is being done, I wont have to kick their AS#, so I really dont care. This really won't be a good program for airline guys, cause they dont know how to get coffee, ice, papers, call for rental cars, or flight plan/file flight plans. Also, the pilots might have to hump some bags, and I can only imagine what their response to that will be.

Casper, it is indeed the same. A contract G-IV guy does not just wake up 1 morning, pick a random type rating, then go get typed in it hoping to get contract work. A G-IV ICP usually has a job flying that aircraft, and for whatever reason, he no longer has that job so he pays for himself to go back to school and knock out a 61.58 so he can keep flying an aircraft he is comfortable with and has experience in.
casper1nine said:
maybe i am looking at this wrong, but the eclipse program doesn't exactly meet my definition of pft, because the mentor is not going to be an employee of eclipse.... right? they will in reality be contract pilots.

if that is true, paying to qualify as a mentor is probably a good business opportunity for those qualified. i view this as being similar to a G-V contract pilot paying out of pocket for his recurrent training. both are expensive, but they each are a means to make a pretty good living. i think that there will be a healthy demand for mentor pilots, in as much as eclipse seems to have sold a bunch of planes already, and they are making the standards high enough in terms of experience that hopefully the whores won't qualify.

in my opinion, this would only wreak of pft if the mentor's paychecks came from eclipse, or if the mentor status is NOT something that you will own, to exercise for your benefit, at your discretion.

GIA = PFT
Eaglejet = PFT
paying 10k to work as an fo at a regional = PFT

i don't think this is quite the same as pft.

-casper

HawkerF/O said:
This really won't be a good program for airline guys, cause they dont know how to get coffee, ice, papers, call for rental cars, or flight plan/file flight plans. Also, the pilots might have to hump some bags, and I can only imagine what their response to that will be.

What is so hard about the above? I have made coffee before. I had fetched ice from a freezer. I have nabbed a paper or two from the FBO lounge. I have made a reservation for hotels/rental cars. And yes, I have even filed a flight plan (while flying under 121 rules believe it or not). And lastly, I have even tossed a bag or 400....while flying 121...to help out. Your point?

-Neal

AZ Typed said:
Here we go again. Spare me. I have yet to fly with a competent pilot outside of 121 - thank God they are
AZT

LOL...where do you think your competent 121 buds go their start...did they go straight from the fetus to 121...i think not ;)

Having trained several 121 types to fly 91/135, I will agree with part of AZT's philosophy. 121 pilots operate terrifically in a structure where runway analysis, weight and balance, fueling planning, routing, climb and approach climb performance and all the other mundane parts of 135/91 flying have all been handled by someone else and all the decisions with regard to the above are made for them.

But take them and put them where that is all part of the job on a 1 hour turn, AND they have to deal with passengers, handlers, line guys, the company etc. and they just wind up sitting and staring into space.

Now don't get me wrong, I do not want to come off as arrogant or anything... just reporting my experience. Generally it takes them a year to get it down.

Tongue removed from cheek now.

HawkerF/O said:
Casper, it is indeed the same. A contract G-IV guy does not just wake up 1 morning, pick a random type rating, then go get typed in it hoping to get contract work. A G-IV ICP usually has a job flying that aircraft, and for whatever reason, he no longer has that job so he pays for himself to go back to school and knock out a 61.58 so he can keep flying an aircraft he is comfortable with and has experience in.

hawkerf/o, if you are saying that it is the same as any other icp type job not being pft, then i agree. if you are saying that it is pft, and different from your example, then i do not for the following reasons:

i understand your example for the g-whatever icp. the #1 thing that allows him to do his icp work is his experience in the plane. after that, the recurrent training is a technicality. his is experience (and reputation) is what makes him marketable, and therefor able to charge a respectable wage for the service he provides. (i do icp work and pay for my own recurrent by the way)

the mentor pilot, by virtue of the selection standards eclipse (to please the faa) has imposed will be a pilot with experience, skill, and knowledge. where as the g-whatever driver has his experience in type to trade on, the mentor pilot will have the credential of having met the selection standards for this program to trade on (as nobody really has logged and eclipse time yet).

the fact that training concerns have and are playing an important role in the certification of this airplane, and that new eclipse pilots will apparently have to hire the services of a mentor for a considerable block of time, make this a legitimate opportunity for ICP work. the sheer volume of orders on the 500 make it look like a pretty lucrative market in my opinion.

now, again, i agree that this is pft if mentor's paychecks come from eclipse, but that appears not to be the case.

the interesting things here will be (as mentioned previously) liability, number of hours required with the mentor, actual numbers of orders filled, and the overall success of the eclipse product on the line.

-casper1nine

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back