Eclipse Mentor Program PFT

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
AZ Typed said:
I have yet to fly with a competent pilot outside of 121...
You haven't got around much have you? I don't mean to belittle my 121 brothers, but having someone hand you your paperwork (including your flight planning), flying a DP to intercept an airway then picking up a STAR to an ILS - all while under radar control - is hardly my definition of demanding.

If you want to see competent come on out to San Diego - I'll show you any number of part 91 corporate operations which reek of class and competency. Please don't lump 135/91 operators into straight 91 operations - there is no comparison from the training to the operational standards.

'Sled

Last edited:
So does anybody have any info on the mentor program or is this just going to deteriorate into the normal FlightInfo BS?

Lead Sled said:
I don't mean to belittle my 121 brothers,

'Sled

'Sled,

We appreciate that...cuz you know how touchy we are...

They don't know what it will cost

Filejw,

As of a few weeks ago the folks in Eclipse's Flight Training Curriculum Development department didn't have any info as to what this "mentor" training program will cost to prospective mentors. They did say it would be discounted. They also didn't know if there was going to be a standard fee that the 5000TT/3000PIC, checkairman, IP's, were going to be paid for their professional pilot service. Likely it will be sub par for most of us.Like another poster said, "wait until the market dictates the training and the rates". $2000/day and a Ruths steak sounds about right to me.

If you do submit an application, Eclipse sends out a letter stating that begining in Q4 2005 they will begin the interview process. This consists of a phone interview followed by an in house interview at Eclipse HQ in ABQ. Transportion and lodging at the individuals expense.

I think I'm going to hold out and wait for a Javelin mentor program. I miss my twin vertical tails and pointy nose!
Semper Fly,

F100

Last edited:
I agree that the Eclipse program sounds pretty lousy, they'll probably lower those standards a bit instead of making it worth while for the experience level they're currently looking for.
As for the Javelin...I saw one in APA a couple days ago, that thing has fun written all over it!

AZT,
Having been a captain in both the 121 and 91 world I'll take a trip with a 91 guy that has been around the block any day of the week over a trip to the NE corridor with a 700 or 800 hr wunder child in an RJ. I agree the standardization is great at 121 carriers (my exp. is limited to the regional operators), and my hat is off to the guys in the trng depts but gimmie a friggin break with the high and mighty $hit. It takes more than an AFM and QRH to develop into an experienced professional.

Almost forgot, I do agree with you about the Eclispe thing. Have a nice weekend:)

Last edited:
bafanguy said:
'Sled,

We appreciate that...cuz you know how touchy we are...
There's no question that most 121 operations are "competent". It's also no secret that 2-pilot corporate/business part 91 operations run head to head with the 121 guys in the safety statistics each year. But that is to be expected. Where the statistics start heading down hill is when you blend 135 operations into the mix. Our friend specifically mentioned 91/135 operations and although I could see his point, that is even wrong - I know way too many competent 135 guys and gals out there who are as proficient as they come.

I was late and I was tired. I think that I'm going to lay down for a while.

'Sled

Fortunately 100 said:
The Eclipse 500 mentor program is critical to the success of the Eclipse 500 Type Transition Training program.

Good training critical to the success...

well, then Eclipse should underwrite this program. Simple as that. By making it PFT, the company already has lowered the bar, and wil likely attract that lower form of life.

that's not the kind of babysitter you want.

Hire or contract out to professional pilots that have operated in the environment you are going to have them "mentor in" and you'll have a better chance of coming away with competent pilots.

Latest resources

Back