• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Eclipse crash on takeoff

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Did I miss something with that video? Looks like 17L at KAPA which is 10,000 feet and someone getting instruction in a Adam 700. I saw nothing dangerous in that video.

yup, I think you missed the gist of it.

Last edited:
clue me in.

No anti skid. No TRs or TAs. No spoilers. The MTOW went from 4500 lbs to 6000 lbs with no braking system changes. On top of that, they blow tires like Ford Explorers. Being certified under part 23, there are no runway contaminant charts. There's no moving map in this revolutionary airplane; nowhere to enter a flight plan. There are two GPSs on board, but the pilots have no way to interface with them. The airplane is /W. That's right. No RNAV. It's VOR to VOR navigation, or just ask for vectors and use the Garmin 496 that comes with the airplane 'cause it's easier. There's no TCAS. No TAS. No TIS. There's no TAWS. There's a radar in the nose, but it's not plugged in. The windshield heat? Also not plugged in. The boots take about 60 seconds to suck back down, so it's not approved for known ice. Its 'circuit breaker' is collared anyways. The autopilot can hold a heading, hold a pitch, and capture an altitude. No coupled approaches - it can't even track a course. Autothrottle permanently inop. There's a fancy keyboard, but with the lack of a FMS or a usable GPS, it's mostly inop too. Uncommanded trim is a normal occurance. Random fuel gauging issues on all of the ones I've flown. CAS messages come and go with no rhyme or reason. The computer is in control of everything you do - there are two hard circuit breakers on the airplane, everything else is software. There are all sorts of cool ideas incorporated into the design but no software to make any of it work. FADECs misbehave. Parts fall off. Lost all electrical power? No way to shut down the engines. Can't change power or even shut off the fuel. The type certificate was issued WAAAAY prematurely and the guys operating them now are test pilots. Thank baby jesus it's not fly by wire or people would be dead already.

On the plus side, it's got a pretty sporty roll rate.

No anti skid. No TRs or TAs. No spoilers. The MTOW went from 4500 lbs to 6000 lbs with no braking system changes. On top of that, they blow tires like Ford Explorers. Being certified under part 23, there are no runway contaminant charts. There's no moving map in this revolutionary airplane; nowhere to enter a flight plan. There are two GPSs on board, but the pilots have no way to interface with them. The airplane is /W. That's right. No RNAV. It's VOR to VOR navigation, or just ask for vectors and use the Garmin 496 that comes with the airplane 'cause it's easier. There's no TCAS. No TAS. No TIS. There's no TAWS. There's a radar in the nose, but it's not plugged in. The windshield heat? Also not plugged in. The boots take about 60 seconds to suck back down, so it's not approved for known ice. Its 'circuit breaker' is collared anyways. The autopilot can hold a heading, hold a pitch, and capture an altitude. No coupled approaches - it can't even track a course. Autothrottle permanently inop. There's a fancy keyboard, but with the lack of a FMS or a usable GPS, it's mostly inop too. Uncommanded trim is a normal occurance. Random fuel gauging issues on all of the ones I've flown. CAS messages come and go with no rhyme or reason. The computer is in control of everything you do - there are two hard circuit breakers on the airplane, everything else is software. There are all sorts of cool ideas incorporated into the design but no software to make any of it work. FADECs misbehave. Parts fall off. Lost all electrical power? No way to shut down the engines. Can't change power or even shut off the fuel. The type certificate was issued WAAAAY prematurely and the guys operating them now are test pilots. Thank baby jesus it's not fly by wire or people would be dead already.

Man, if thats all true, thats some funny sh1t. What a pile of junk.

sounds like a sweet ride....:rolleyes:

Did I miss something with that video? Looks like 17L at KAPA which is 10,000 feet and someone getting instruction in a Adam 700. I saw nothing dangerous in that video.

as I watched that video again........you really saw nothing dangerous? diving a jet over the numbers....way high, skipping down the runway, off the centerline on an easy VFR day to a SAC-sized runway. Throw in any sort of problems (or wx) & you'll be reading about a guy like that in tomorrow's paper.

from the NTSB report...

According to the pilot's written statement, He had the airplane "topped off" prior to departing for OQN.

During a visual approach for runway 27 at OQN, he "set up for a normal approach" and "dropped gear" and "one notch of flaps." A short time later, when the airplane had slowed , he then selected landing flaps. He believed that he was "a little high" on the approach so he "dipped down." As he passed the runway threshold his speed was "a little high," but he thought it was manageable. After touchdown, he "got on the brakes" and felt the airplane skid, but decided not to "go around" due to the "distance left." At this point he was "pumping" the wheel brakes "continuously," and then applied "full brakes." The airplane then began to skid to the right and went off the end of the runway.

http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/brief.asp?ev_id=20080807X01174&key=1

The reported weather at OQN, at 1830, included: calm winds, visibility 10 miles, scattered clouds at 7,000 feet, temperature 28 degrees Celsius, dew point 18 degrees Celsius, and an altimeter setting of 29.75 inches of mercury.
With the pilot stating that he had "topped off" the weight of the aircraft would have been much higher than my original estimate. Distance between LOM and OQN is 17 nautical miles in which case, Ive flown flights that short and you'll only burn 200 lbs at most. BEW is usually around 3700lbs. + 200lbs (pilot) + 1500 lbs (fuel after 200 lb burn)= 5400 lbs. Pressure altitude at OQN was 806 feet (466 elevation). Wind was calm so no decrease in dist. 1% downslope adds to dist.
Landing distance interpolates to 3213ft. Available landing distance 3027 (total 3347) By 50 ft wide.
With that kind of weight coming down onto such a comparably short runway I bet a tire blew due to panic braking, which is why the airplane skidded to the right.

Some of your statements are outright false and seriously out-of-date assumptions my friend. Get your facts straight.

Latest resources

Back