• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Eclipse 500 Pay

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
pw in maui is planning on getting the eclipse for "executive passengers" and hey they pay their captains 2500 a month- this vlj will likely give them a raise to 2700 or so ha ha ha sorry i used to work there. im sorry

Photoflight said:
Posted this up in the general forum...a former engineer for learjet tells why eclipse is/has failed.

http://eclipseaviationcritic.blogspot.com/

I see lots of inflammatory headlines on this blog. Won't get a chance to read any of it before this weekend. The one headline about the change in engines did grab my eye as a legit concern, but my first impression is that this fellow is grinding his ax against Eclipse and Mr Rayburn for some unknown personal reason. Perhaps the blogger should instead concentrate his journalistic efforts on a more lucrative field of blogging, like wacko liberal democratic fundraiser?

I've been impressed with what Eclipse has pulled off so far. I do agree that it isn't what Vern Rayburn unveiled 6 years ago, but what new airplane design has made it into production unchanged? The simple fact that they have acheived certification with a different powerplant than what the airframe was designed for is a testament to some pretty decent engineering. If nothing else, Mr Rayburn and team managed to make it to market first (just like Mr Lear), and by doing so is defining a new market.

I do remember that there was a competitor way back in 2000 to the Eclipse, it was called the Safire. Nice looking design, all composite airframe. Only trouble as I saw it back then was they were designing their airframe around a powerplant that had been designed by an engineering firm with NO production experience. No matter how sweet it might have looked on their 'puter drawing boards, they hadn't a clue how tough it would be to get their engine certified, let alone into production.

So what if Eclipse isn't what was originally marketed? At least it has made it to the market. This blogger seems to be so single-minded as to do nothing but criticize, he needs to remember all the naysayers that existed against Bill Lear (his old boss) and his crazy idea of converting (yes, converting) a Pilatus single seat jet fighter design into an executive transport!

I for one will be waiting to see how things go for Eclipse, but my employer is actively toying with the idea of ordering one. I won't turn my nose up at it...

Miami Freight said:
I can imagine the first time I land a small plane in a few years. The mantra would be "flare at 5, flare at 5". Thanks for the input. I agree, a few hundred per leg at least. I'd be saving them a bundle on their insurance due to my time.

This is SO true. When I career-progressed post-9/11 from the 777 to the 737, I had unbearable ground rush in the roundout and flare, and dropped it in many times... some of the ugliest landings of my career. The 737 is not the easiest landing AC in experienced hands. In mine, it was grim. Very embarrassing.

AerroMatt said:
I see lots of inflammatory headlines on this blog. Won't get a chance to read any of it before this weekend. The one headline about the change in engines did grab my eye as a legit concern, but my first impression is that this fellow is grinding his ax against Eclipse and Mr Rayburn for some unknown personal reason. Perhaps the blogger should instead concentrate his journalistic efforts on a more lucrative field of blogging, like wacko liberal democratic fundraiser?

I've been impressed with what Eclipse has pulled off so far. I do agree that it isn't what Vern Rayburn unveiled 6 years ago, but what new airplane design has made it into production unchanged? The simple fact that they have acheived certification with a different powerplant than what the airframe was designed for is a testament to some pretty decent engineering. If nothing else, Mr Rayburn and team managed to make it to market first (just like Mr Lear), and by doing so is defining a new market.

I do remember that there was a competitor way back in 2000 to the Eclipse, it was called the Safire. Nice looking design, all composite airframe. Only trouble as I saw it back then was they were designing their airframe around a powerplant that had been designed by an engineering firm with NO production experience. No matter how sweet it might have looked on their 'puter drawing boards, they hadn't a clue how tough it would be to get their engine certified, let alone into production.

So what if Eclipse isn't what was originally marketed? At least it has made it to the market. This blogger seems to be so single-minded as to do nothing but criticize, he needs to remember all the naysayers that existed against Bill Lear (his old boss) and his crazy idea of converting (yes, converting) a Pilatus single seat jet fighter design into an executive transport!

I for one will be waiting to see how things go for Eclipse, but my employer is actively toying with the idea of ordering one. I won't turn my nose up at it...

I'd say read itbefore you rush to judgement. He goes into some pretty good details as far as performance/payload etc...that he foresees the eclipse coming up short on...real short. Seemed to make sense for the most part to me. However the writer doesn't seem to have a whole lot of love for the CEO of eclipse.

iaflyer said:
Yeah, that will last :rolleyes: - until a customer wants to fly somewhere Saturday morning and someone else wants to return on Sunday. Nope, passengers never want to do that. Or fly at night.

While I admire their goal, it's just not realistic in an air taxi type of business.

Or flying from Pensacola to Tallahassee with one passenger on board to pick up a second and then off to Daytona, for example. These won't be all direct flights. Many times, you'll have to stop somewhere and pick up or drop off others. I can see picking up the last passenger and there's no more room for baggage. It will be a neat novelty at first, but I see people with very tight schedules or worse yet, moving schedules, running late for the last Dayjet flight home and the plane has left as the 3 passengers already on board "demand to leave now!" Fist fights galore.

I don't think that you understand the model they are operating on. While it may change, they are looking for the out and back in one day business flyer. It is the leave Miami at 8am go to TPA by 9 come back at 5 be here at 6

Publishers said:
I don't think that you understand the model they are operating on. While it may change, they are looking for the out and back in one day business flyer. It is the leave Miami at 8am go to TPA by 9 come back at 5 be here at 6

I do understand very well as much of the grip and grin involves breakfast or dinner, which often means an overnight stay. They don't dicatate the model, the customer does. For what they are going to charge, there will be more than a few frustrated or disappointed customers expecting the planes to wait for any number of reasons. If they were the only passenger, fine. Add 3 other type A's who don't know or care about each other and all heck is going to break loose.

I think you are going to have to pretty skinny to be an Eclipse pilot if they really plan to routinely carry four passengers.

Take this opportuntiy to get experience as a safety pilot and get a
type rating. Then establish a daily rate, like $300-500/day. Then
rest your services out to multiple companies and owners and mabie
even sell/lend yourself to Eclipse as a designated examiner (later on).

Being your own boss is an admirable goal, especially at the early part
of your career.

CE

Latest resources

Back