Eclipse 500 Pay

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Miami Freight

I know a small law firm that is planning on buying an Eclipse 500. One of the partners is a qualified pilot but they want someone else who can fly part time. They've asked if I am interested. When we talk money what should I tell them I am willing to work for. I'm not familiar with this side of the industry and don't want to "lower the bar".

Miami Freight said:
I'm not familiar with this side of the industry ".

I don't think anyone is familiar. I was just asking about this issue a couple of days ago. Join us in my threat of VLJ info and religion apparently.

First there has to be bar to lower. Are you being asked to be a safety pilot or to really be the pilot for the aircraft. My off the cuff guess is that these are going to be $50k to $60 captains. It is sort of like King Air today. These will become the transition aircraft to jets./

Let me see....working for a lawyer, that's also a pilot. I don't think there's enough money in the whole world for that.

But if you must, I wish you good luck.

Miami Freight said:
I know a small law firm that is planning on buying an Eclipse 500. One of the partners is a qualified pilot but they want someone else who can fly part time. They've asked if I am interested. When we talk money what should I tell them I am willing to work for. I'm not familiar with this side of the industry and don't want to "lower the bar".

Geez, where do I start...

First of all, it's still a jet aircraft that presumably will be up there sharing the skies with the likes of myself who really likes to get home safely in the evening without the likes of a "qualified" lawyer pilot smacking in to me... As such you should be paid as a "professional pilot" operating a jet aircraft as PIC. Now, down to the meat and potatoes... Tell us which region the position is located within and someone could help.

I say at least 65K + bennies, more if it's somewhere expensive... Now I'm sure there will be someone along telling me that's unreasonable.

Last edited:
I honestly wonder how truthful that statement is.

who cares what altitude they fly. They have an autopilot just like us, an FMS just like us and really, everything we depend on just like us.

How dangerous can they be? You paint doom and gloom.

What about the 500 hour pilots in the flight levels?

h25b said:
Geez, where do I start...

First of all, it's still a jet aircraft that presumably will be up there sharing the skies with the likes of myself who really likes to get home safely in the evening without the likes of a "qualified" lawyer pilot smacking in to me... As such you should be paid as a "professional pilot" operating a jet aircraft as PIC. Now, down to the meat and potatoes... Tell us which region the position is located within and someone could help.

I say at least 65K + bennies, more if it's somewhere expensive... Now I'm sure there will be someone along telling me that's unreasonable.

That's unreasonable.....HA! :laugh:

jumppilot said:

As in SkyWest, Mesa, and a few other regionals hiring 500hr wonders who need to be babysitted by their captains? That's a scarier thought than VLJ's being flown by Doctors and Lawyers, I $hit you not! :eek:

jumppilot said:
I honestly wonder how truthful that statement is.

who cares what altitude they fly. They have an autopilot just like us, an FMS just like us and really, everything we depend on just like us.

How dangerous can they be? You paint doom and gloom.

Let's think about this one for a moment... I would assume the 500 hr. pilots you're referring to are at the regional airlines. Those pilots are operating with other pilots under strict Part 121 reg. between common city pairs to mostly nice long runways. Comparing that to what these VLJ's will be doing is hardly realistic. The training is also very different.

We all know how much luck they've had with Bonanza's and lights twins...

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back