EAS Threatened

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

azpilot

March 2, 2004 -- The Bush administration proposes slashing $63 million in federal subsidies that help maintain air service to rural communities. Congress established the subsidy 25 years ago, when airlines were deregulated, prompting carriers to consider dumping unprofitable routes to rural communities. The subsidy was due to expire after 10 years, but powerful supporters in Congress have kept it alive. NPR's Howard Berkes reports.

http://www.npr.org/features/feature.php?wfId=1700945

- AZPilot

In theory a great program but, from what I've seen a total waste of Taxpayer money.

Bear

JoBear wrote:
In theory a great program but, from what I've seen a total waste of Taxpayer money.

Change your name to Miss Informed.

It is not the tax payers that pay for EAS. It is those who travel internationally ON airlines that pay for EAS. It is the international tax that shows up on an international ticket. If you are traveling on a EAS route the tax can not be applied to that route. So basically it is not every tax payer paying for it. Only international travelers.

FlyingAggie said:
JoBear wrote:

It is not the tax payers that pay for EAS. It is those who travel internationally ON airlines that pay for EAS. It is the international tax that shows up on an international ticket. If you are traveling on a EAS route the tax can not be applied to that route. So basically it is not every tax payer paying for it. Only international travelers.

Do you honestly expect me to believe that 50 million dollars in taxes is collected from international travel and spent on EAS? (that is the EAS annual budget) Nice try, follow the link to the NPR story then to the Government office that handles it, This program was supposed to expire in 1988 but some Pork barrel politics got involved and it has been maintained albeit at a reduced rate.

signed
Informed

Do your research....

That article does not prove that EAS is paid by the taxpayer. It just says that Bush Admin wants to cut cost in EAS by reducing some cities and making local govt. pay for some of it( If that would happen then yes the tax payer would pay some), But at this time it IS paid by international travel.

So MISS INFORMED aka JoBear, yes you are wrong. Call your local congressman or DOT and do a little research.

FlyingAggie said:

Geez...if you're going to be that cocky make sure you at least know what you're talking about:

"In the Rural Air Service Survival Act of 1996, Congress instructed that the EAS program was to be funded from fees assessed on international aircraft flying over, but not landing in the United States. However, since foriegn airlines successfully challenged the legality of the FAA in collecting these fees, EAS funding was taken from the FAA's appropriations pursuant to the statute"
From http://ntl.bts.gov/data/GAO/rc00185.pdf

It wasn't a tax that "shows up on an international ticket", it was a fee charged directly to a foreign airline. A fee that doen't exist anymore. All the money that the FAA collects from everything gets dumped into a big pot and the EAS funding comes out of there.

P.S. I know it's hard to admit that you're wrong after being such a horse's a$$, but you should try.....

Do you honestly expect me to believe that 50 million dollars in taxes is collected from international travel and spent on EAS?

jobear,

Yes sir! I expect you to believe the truth and the truth is that when an international carrier flies in USA air space that Air Carrier is charged a tax. That Air Carrier then taxes their passengers that are on that flight to absorb the cost of the tax. That money is then paid to the US DOT and then that money goes to the EAS funding to the tune of $50 Million. You federal tax dollars are NOT used to pay EAS contracts. You should contact you Congress or Senate Representative, Governor, or the DOT. I have and that is where the info is. Ignorance is no excuse for for running your mouth.

Sorry if I'm being stubboron but if you look at how it was set up in 1996 it WAS funded by overflight fees with the extra to be used for safety enhancements.
Read AIR-21 EAS funding was added post 911, the money alloted was increased significantly in porportion to the amount recieved from the overflight fees.

JW it's a fee not a tax BTW

I am not trying to be assinie about this just trying to gleen all the facts out of it.:)

Bear

Last edited:
When i lived in Gallup, Mesa would have more flights in there each month, courtesy of EAS, than they actually had passengers on those flights in that month. Often, on fridays, the air marshal was the only passenger.

Latest resources

Back