• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Early retirement letter from AA Capt

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
The ex-AA guy makes some salient points until he mentions that he's going to Virgin America. Doesn't he know who the chairman is at Virgin? It's the same guy who tried to get the ex-AA pilot and his fellow pilots and flight attendants to accept a big concessionary contract under the guise of "we all have to sacrifice" yet all the while planning a nice little payout for himself and his fellow senior managers. Sounds like a real "team player" to me.

Good luck to the letter writer. I think he may really need it.

Last edited:
I equate this guy with the bridge-leaping guy in the commercial. He makes those goofy wings...leaps off the bridge...but can't swim.

sic semper moronus

From the Desk of Mr. Arpey:

Dear Capt. # 67848599

I never have, and never will give a damn about what you want; what you feel you deserve; your problems; aspirations; goals; and overall job satisfaction. I'm here for the cash...go to hell.

That about sums it up...

It is obvious that the letter writter cares...

The letter from the 40 year UAL FA to Tilton... for example has the same intent... to somehow reach managements sense of concern...

There is no concern to reach... management knows exactly what they are doing... and you and I are going to show up and fly the jets...

Does this guy know he's going to work for Fred Reid? They guy who never saw an RJ he didn't love and who helped bring Delta to it's knees. The exact opposite of a leader if you ask me. The kind of leader who sends his troops into battle with no ammo while he sits in the command bunker waiting to be evacuated when things don't go well.

I see this guy writing a similar letter to his new employer within the year. It's pretty obvious who comes first over there with those pay scales. Food stamps anyone?

Last edited:
I give this man a LOT of credit. Rather than sit and whine for the next 9 years he is leaving a job that now DISGUSTS him.

He is doing SOMETHING ELSE with his Life and standing on his principles rather than worrying about his wallet.

That takes guts, and a commitment to ones self.

Now, the decision to go to Virgin is his to make...Wouldn't be MY decision, for many of the reasons listed above, but at least he is getting off his *ss an doing SOMETHING for himself.

How many of us are doing even that?

Not many.

Instead, many of us sit in our "Major Airline" (Whoop-De-Doo ) seats pissing and moaning and spewing venom and bile while literally making ourselves Sick. But the God Almighty Dollar, and the Porsche in the garage next to the Harley keep many of us in a Job we no longer care about, let alone enjoy anymore.

I wish him well. And I, for one, will be following his lead in the not too distant future.

YKW

Last edited:
You can insert FedEX in there too, after this fu ck ing LOA just passed.
Skypine, I am aware that every FDX pilot would like to have seen a better LOA, as would I. However, to equate our industry-leading positions with the crap that these guys are having to endure is poor form. Whatever you want to say about that Captain, he and those like him have had the rug pulled out from under them in virtually every possible way. In comparison, our problems are extremely minor and should not be mentioned in the same breath as the life-changing ordeal he's endured. My heart and prayers go out to our fellow pilots in similar difficult situations. For those of us at FDX, like it or not, the LOA is done. All we can do now is try to improve the situation during the next round of negotiations. In the interim, let's support our passenger-carring brethren in "taking it back" instead of crying over a single drop of spilled milk.

Skypine, I am aware that every FDX pilot would like to have seen a better LOA, as would I. However, to equate our industry-leading positions with the crap that these guys are having to endure is poor form. Whatever you want to say about that Captain, he and those like him have had the rug pulled out from under them in virtually every possible way. In comparison, our problems are extremely minor and should not be mentioned in the same breath as the life-changing ordeal he's endured. My heart and prayers go out to our fellow pilots in similar difficult situations. For those of us at FDX, like it or not, the LOA is done. All we can do now is try to improve the situation during the next round of negotiations. In the interim, let's support our passenger-carring brethren in "taking it back" instead of crying over a single drop of spilled milk.

Everything is relative, but couldnt agree with you more.

Exactly! None of them give a crap.....even the management at Virgin America, I'm sure.

That about sums it up...

It is obvious that the letter writter cares...

The letter from the 40 year UAL FA to Tilton... for example has the same intent... to somehow reach managements sense of concern...

There is no concern to reach... management knows exactly what they are doing... and you and I are going to show up and fly the jets...

So he decides to quit before the fight has begun to retake the AA contract and go work for VA making 80K? This guys rocks.

Latest resources

Back