• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

EAGLE, SKYWEST or REPUBLIC

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Offer from all of them, but who is the best as far as pay, upgrade and reserve. Any input will help. Thanks!

Do you plan on moving? In other words will commuting be a factor? Because if the choice comes down to living in base or commuting you should go with the airline that allows you to live in base.

Whats your point? It is still terrible! Its been two years since i left AE. The sad thing about it is when i left there were people telling me "why are you leaving you will be making less money there." Well i was able to upgrade in a year at skywest and jump straight to 45 an hour. Who is making more now? By the way i also made more money first year at skywest because i wasnt stuck on reserve for a year. The benefits for career progression at skywest are far better.

Definately! I was't infering that making $40K as a 7th year FO was good. I would hope that nobody would even have to see their 7th year as an FO. But, just as I am sure you don't make just $43K as a CA at SkyW (45)(12)(80), I doubt the 7th year Eagle FO makes just $32,832, (38)(12)(72). They probably pull in $40K+, especially with 7 years seniority. I guess my point is; if Eagle is your choice for reasons other than upgrade, such as base, and other reasons, it isn't SO bad, especially if you are single, or your spouse also works. I think sometimes people tend to low ball regional pay, when it tends to be better than that.

That being said, I would choose SkyW over Eagle any day, but things can change. Is upgrade still running 7-8 years at Eagle? I hear for those hired in recent years, the upgrade will be much less. Is this true?

Is upgrade still running 7-8 years at Eagle? I hear for those hired in recent years, the upgrade will be much less. Is this true?

Yes, 7 years to turboprop Captain currently. Honestly don't expect those numbers to decline unless a large growth aircraft order is placed. Eagle is a very mature large airline with lotsa lifers and few retirements in the near future. Things will remain mostly stagnant here for a while, especially with age 65 rapidly approaching.

4 years ago Comair was the number 1 regional, now its neck and neck with skywest and republic. In four years both maybe bankrupt and I'll be a 4 year F/O on the steet looking for another job and going through thoses pain in the rear interviews again. I don't know how is better, but I do know one thing. American Eagle is one of the oldest regionals in the industry, and I'm not saying that were I'll go but these things are true. If I'm wrong, someone please set me streight.

In four years both maybe bankrupt and I'll be a 4 year F/O on the steet looking for another job and going through thoses pain in the rear interviews again. .

This is entirely the wrong approach, you can't base your decision on which regional to pick based on where it might be in 4 years. You have no idea and neither does anyone else. Things change, and when they change they change rapidly without warning. All of the rumors are usually wrong, the things that happen are something else unexpected so your plans will have been wrong anyway.
You should base your decision on what is best in the short term, IMHO anyway. IE: where do you want to live, where can I hope for some movement up the seniority list in the near future in order to not be on reserve a long time. And just think, every "pain in the rear interview" you go to with a regional will make you that much better for that one you get with your airline of choice down the road.

So, if I go to Eagle, more pay, no up grade for 7 years. If I go to Skywest, lower pay, maybe upgrade in less then three. And if I go to Republic ????

You will probably advance pretty quick over there too, they still have a fair bit of growth to go as far as I know. I have a few friends there who all upgraded in under 2 years. The good thing with Chaupublishuttle is that they have domiciles all over the place. And as for making less then at Eagle, you will actually make more if you are at a place where you get off reserve quickly and move up the list.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back