• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

E170 Cat II???

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Compass isn't Cat II certified. I don't know if there are plans to pursue it.

The 170 has an option for autobrakes/autoland and HUD, but Compass has none of these so I don't think we'll be doing Cat III stuff any time soon.

I think Jetblue has cat III capability. Not sure though.

Yes, but not certified or trained yet. They are working on it.

The reason behind my original question is that I was trying to figure out the cost benefit of the HUDs we have at JB. If we could get rid of the HUDs, but still be Cat.II certified (HUD is currently required for a JB Cat II), I think we'd save some money.

It just doesn't make sense to me to pay hundreds of thousands of dollars in each aircraft to bump us from Cat II to Cat III. I've been flying commercially for 13 years now and have had to shoot a legitimate Cat III approach maybe twice.

Thanks again for the responses.

GP

I seem to remember a blurb that when UPS put the Collins HGS system in their 727s in the mid to late-90s it cost somewhere around $32M fleet-wide.

The HGS gave the 727s hand-flown Cat-III capability, down to 600RVR (I think that's IIIb?).

UPS estimated that they recouped their investment in the HGS system in about a year due to preventing service failures on Next Day Air volume.

Doesn't apply quite apples-to-apples with a passenger carrier, but data to consider nonetheless.

At XJT they tell us that the cost of all the Cat 2 training and aircraft inspections each year can pay for themselves in 1 to 2 day of ops that require cat 2's. I guess it also depends on if your hub airports get fog alot(or something else like snow that can require cat 2). IAH gets fog alot, CLE gets bad snow and some fog, EWR can get fog, but not that bad. I have probably shot 8 or so legitamate cat 2's in 3 years at XJT.

Yes, but not certified or trained yet. They are working on it.

The reason behind my original question is that I was trying to figure out the cost benefit of the HUDs we have at JB. If we could get rid of the HUDs, but still be Cat.II certified (HUD is currently required for a JB Cat II), I think we'd save some money.

It just doesn't make sense to me to pay hundreds of thousands of dollars in each aircraft to bump us from Cat II to Cat III. I've been flying commercially for 13 years now and have had to shoot a legitimate Cat III approach maybe twice.

Thanks again for the responses.

GP

I was just in recurrent and asked fleet stds capt about getting rid of FO's hud. he said no plans to do so. Supposed to start training crews for cat3 and 3/3/3 t/os in fall. Awaiting hud software to be upgraded from rockwell collins and faa...

I was just in recurrent and asked fleet stds capt about getting rid of FO's hud. he said no plans to do so. Supposed to start training crews for cat3 and 3/3/3 t/os in fall. Awaiting hud software to be upgraded from rockwell collins and faa...

Waste of money.

GP

Compass isn't Cat II certified. I don't know if there are plans to pursue it.

The 170 has an option for autobrakes/autoland and HUD, but Compass has none of these so I don't think we'll be doing Cat III stuff any time soon.

Compass is supposed to be looking into Cat II cert. But with so many other things going on I doubt we will see it anytime soon. I may be wrong but I thought I read a while back CAT II sometime next year with CAT III possibly later.

AS for auto land and autobrakes...I dont think they are needed. We did not have them at all at QX. All hand flow to 600 RVR.

Latest resources

Back