• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I told you so.....

Cactus73 said:
Yes,

The line between mainline and regional has finally been drawn - albeit very late.

No Cactus, the line hasn't been "drawn", it has only been further "blurred". Jetblue rates are LOWER than some regional 70 seat rates for captain. As I predicted, the "mainline" groups will start underbidding the regional rates to capture the flying. Maybe PCL128 can explain to me how this is a good thing. What good are more "mainline" jobs if they pay less than my lowly little "regional" job? Maybe we should start undercutting mainline to fly the 737, 757, and 777?

This is no surprise to many of us - we saw this coming. Regional guys WAKE UP! The mainline will do ANYTHING to protect it's own, even if it means undercutting the regionals. Start looking out for yourselves instead of kissing their a$$.

h25b said:
At this point it's just nice to be getting these things to mainline. Pay rates are secondary, altough not unimportant.

What is so magic about bestowing the title "mainline" on an aircraft if the payrates and workrules are equal to or lower than that of the regionals? If a regional group does this to get an aircraft, they are harassed. If a mainline group does this, they are heroes. Pure B$.

FDJ2 said:

On behalf of your MEC and Negotiating Committee, I am pleased to announce that the final Transition Agreement passed during today's MEC meeting. The section regarding
EMB 190 rates will go out to the membership for a ratification vote in accordance with MEC policy.

Does anyone have access to the actual proposed contract sections that cover rates and work rules for the EMB-190?

Isn't life grand. :) Just the beginning of the rollover to mainline for all carriers. I'm sure going to enjoy the run up in price from my original purchase of $14. per share. It's a shame WN won't get a chance to purchase these wonderful a/c as there will probably be a wait of 2 or 3 years for delivery in the near future.

JoeMerchant said:
This is no surprise to many of us - we saw this coming. Regional guys WAKE UP! The mainline will do ANYTHING to protect it's own, even if it means undercutting the regionals. Start looking out for yourselves instead of kissing their a$$.

Why is it OK that we have been losing jobs for years to SJ/RJ flying, with you literally having a job at our expense, with thousands on the street, yet you cry like a 2 year old at the proposition of these jobs becoming mainline positions?

I can just imagine the wailing if any Regionals actually start furloughing or expeirencing the back sliding that's gone on for years now at the mainlines.

Personally I think we sooner we recapture this flying and get everyone on the same list the sooner we stop the whipsawing and outsourcing raceto the bottom.

I guess it's only OK if it pains mainline careers, it that it?

If ALPA was wise......they possibility of a unique oppty. here. With the combined carrier, you have two wholly owned regionals. If alpa wanted to start to go in the right direction, which they should have done 20 years ago, I could imagine this would be a situation capitalized on. Why not starting to scope in the name, instead of aircraft size. Essential take PDT and PSA, make a combined seniority list with some sort of fences between the three to give some protection to the pilots on each list. Something like USairways/PSA/PDT. each division continues with their current contracts and seniority lists for the next 5 years or something, with the difference being one can jump from PDT up to PSA up to USairways. Each pilot holds his relative seniority with his native carrier. When the openings come up those at PSA PDT can goto US with some form of credit for longevity and such. You grandfather in the current contract RJ's for the time being, but no more growth to those outlets. As the contracts expire, they go away, If not sooner. New hires start off on the prop and work their way up, unless other situations dictate. Over the period of time, the 3 contracts are melded together, Or one contract is formed with work rules etc for the seperate divisions. This would keep the damn whipsawing and selling out of the lines flying to a minimum I would think. At the same time it could keep the costs to the company essentially competitve.
Any thoughts?

Fly4hire said:
Why is it OK that we have been losing jobs for years to SJ/RJ flying, with you literally having a job at our expense, with thousands on the street, yet you cry like a 2 year old at the proposition of these jobs becoming mainline positions?

I can just imagine the wailing if any Regionals actually start furloughing or expeirencing the back sliding that's gone on for years now at the mainlines.

Personally I think we sooner we recapture this flying and get everyone on the same list the sooner we stop the whipsawing and outsourcing raceto the bottom.

Yeah, what he said! Sometimes I think that Joe Merchant and those RJDC idiots would only be happy if all mainline pilots were fired/furloughed and they could take over all the flying... gotta defend our regionals don't ya know. Those greedy mainline bastards are gonna take away all the regional flying... it's just not fair! Waaaahhhh!!!!!

Seriously though, I wish we could somehow get a single seniority list with each mainline and it's regional affiliates, would be nice to stop all this stupid whipsawing between the lowest bidders... but methinks that it's too late at this point. Or is it?

Fly4hire said:

I ask again, what is so magical about the "mainline" label? There used to be a big difference, but if you haven't noticed, that line has been blurred. There will be even more cuts at the mainline shortly. Let's stop with this mythical "mainline" and "regional" label. Instead let's call it what it is. It is "yours" and "mine". To simplify this argument for you, "mine" is more important than "yours".

Fly4hire said:

With flowbacks and jets4jobs, that has happened to make way for the almighty "mainline" pilot.

Fly4hire said:

Well to be perfectly blunt, MY career is more important than YOUR career. Sorry, but that is the atmosphere that ALPA has fostered through the years. Nothing personal, it's just business. As far as a single list, the regional pilots have been advocating that for years only to fall on deaf ears. If your version of a single list involves me starting all over at the bottom flying an aircraft for lower rates than we currently do, then you can stick it where the sun don't shine. I'll just bid lower than you!

Joe

New hires start off on the prop and work their way up, unless other situations dictate. Over the period of time, the 3 contracts are melded together, Or one contract is formed with work rules etc for the seperate divisions.

Sure. How exactly is ALPA going to persuade the company to do that?

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back