• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

DynCorp International

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
They flew OV-10's and Caravans on coca spraying runs in Colombia. I believe the 1900D job is in Kandahar or Kabul and involves flying US dignitaries around the country. They generally employ civilians for work that may not be appropriate for the military for various reasons...The pay is very good but you will be gone for weeks to months at a time.

If you need a job and are single, maybe go do it, but you need to understand what you are getting into, they don't want people that will back out during the job. They require a contract and if you can't come to terms with the harsh realities of life in Afghanistan, ie potential for exposure to hostile fire, as clearly stated in their posting, then dont apply!

I know the Ov-10's were operated by a subcontractor of Dyncorp and the Caravans were used for recce. I turned down the position in 2003. Whatever else you want to add, feel free.

When you say the pay is "very good," what are we talking here? My motivation isn't strictly economic, but a number would put some of the required tradeoffs in better perspective...

They flew OV-10's and Caravans on coca spraying runs in Colombia. I believe the 1900D job is in Kandahar or Kabul and involves flying US dignitaries around the country. They generally employ civilians for work that may not be appropriate for the military for various reasons...The pay is very good but you will be gone for weeks to months at a time.

If you need a job and are single, maybe go do it, but you need to understand what you are getting into, they don't want people that will back out during the job. They require a contract and if you can't come to terms with the harsh realities of life in Afghanistan, ie potential for exposure to hostile fire, as clearly stated in their posting, then dont apply!

Thanks for the info. I've been looking in this type of flying for the past few months and it seems interesting. I'm single so I can travel as much I need to. And I'm willing to accept the potential risk. Heck, you can get shot at at the local Mickey D's here in the states if it isn't your day. BTW, does the lack of military background hurt one's chances for landing this kind of jobs?

Thanks for the info. I've been looking in this type of flying for the past few months and it seems interesting. I'm single so I can travel as much I need to. And I'm willing to accept the potential risk. Heck, you can get shot at at the local Mickey D's here in the states if it isn't your day. BTW, does the lack of military background hurt one's chances for landing this kind of jobs?

Do you speak Spanish? Do you have a security clearance? Those will be needed/desired for the job.

Do you speak Spanish? Do you have a security clearance? Those will be needed/desired for the job.

No, I don't have a security clearance but I'm confident that I can pass the necessary background check to get it. I don't have any records or anything that could keep me from getting it.

I also don't speak Spanish but why would I need to know Spanish in places like Iraq or Afghanistan?

Do you speak Spanish? Do you have a security clearance?

Spanish isn't generally a prerequisite in Afghanistan. A security clearance can be obtained...one shouldn't skip applying simply because one doesn't yet hold a clearance.

Dyncorp will obtain a security clearance for you though it may take a few weeks to a few months depending on your background. Military experience is desired but they have hired people without it, as long as you have a 1900 type, clean record, and meet their other requirements you should have a shot to interview and get hired.

The pay is will most likely be over 100K per year, tax free, along with housing on a secure compound and payed tickets for the commute back to the States.

If you really want this job you need to be totally dedicated, there is a one year contract involved in order for you not to back out after learning what its really like over there. I'm sure you will enjoy the flying, but comparing it to the regular risks one may take when ordering a Big Mac at McDonalds may be a little short sighted on your part. You need to take a serious look at what your getting yourself into here, dozens of our service members are killed every month along with over 1,000 civilians so far this year. Don't let the money lure you in, that being said, if this is what you really want to do then go for it.

Latest resources

Back