DXers in the Jumpseat

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
?

There are 3 things that are certain in life. 1. Death 2. Taxes 3. The mystery of whether airline dispatchers can jumpseat on other airlines, and which airlines do/do not allow dispatchers.

Last edited:
This is good stuff on J/S protocol.. I wanted to include this type of information on the new WDFF site, if not only in the remarks section..

I was just wondering... this J/S topic was started after I posted to volunteer to work a new WDFF for all of you.. yet I have not received but 1 submission to support the effort..

So I wonder if any of you really care or want the information rebuilt at all.. ?? I would appreciate some feedback on this... let if fly...

Speaking of Jumpseating... Any dxers jumped Intl on United? I'm hoping for a ORD-HKG ride this week...

N271FE, are with Fedex?
if so, have you been able to j/s since fedex does not offer a reciprocal to DXers?
either way, we have one here at RAH that claims to have cabin J/Sed to EGLL in 2006.

Every single time I took the JS I always made it known to the crew that I greatly appreciate the gesture and thank them for the ride. Even if I sit in the back, I ALWAYS greet the crew up front at boarding and thank them when I am getting off the flight. Also. In addition to the flight crew I always let the FA's up front know where I am at and offer any assistance should any issue arise.

N271FE, are with Fedex?
if so, have you been able to j/s since fedex does not offer a reciprocal to DXers?
either way, we have one here at RAH that claims to have cabin J/Sed to EGLL in 2006.

I am, and unfortunately FedEx doesn't allow anyone to jumpseat except their own pilots, dispatchers, maintenance, & offline pilots. I really, really wish that would change to include offline dispatchers. Our dx management wants it changed, but it's the Flight Department that holds the strings and is blocking that from happening.

FedEx dispatchers aren't in CASS, and our ability to js is strictly limited to whether or not the CA of whatever flight we're hoping to get on, will let us ride in back. (When they do, I always offer cookies or something like that, and my SINCERE thanks!)

Getting a discount shipping cardboard is nice, but I really wish we had some recip agreements to offer.

Last edited:
FedEx dispatchers aren't in CASS, and our ability to js is strictly limited to whether or not the CA of whatever flight we're hoping to get on, will let us ride in back. (When they do, I always offer cookies or something like that, and my SINCERE thanks!)
In the past, our office has received calls from captains asking if FedEx DXer's could ride in back. We always tell them "captain's discretion" and encourage them to take the guy...in some hopes of spreading a little goodwill.

In the past, our office has received calls from captains asking if FedEx DXer's could ride in back. We always tell them "captain's discretion" and encourage them to take the guy...in some hopes of spreading a little goodwill.

That is awesome! I wish we could "encourage" the crew to allow the jumpseater. Our FOM specifies the jumpseater must be in CASS. It's a mute point if they are not in CASS.

I have had good experiences with United, SkyWest, Hawaiian and especially Southwest. Admittedly I have had some of my worse experiences with my own company.

Latest resources

Back