• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

DXers in the Jumpseat

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I am, and unfortunately FedEx doesn't allow anyone to jumpseat except their own pilots, dispatchers, maintenance, & offline pilots. I really, really wish that would change to include offline dispatchers. Our dx management wants it changed, but it's the Flight Department that holds the strings and is blocking that from happening.
I guess I fail to see why allowing dispatchers is taken as such an affront to pilot, their union reps, and their management. That was the unclearable hurdle with American...their union didn't want offline guys hitching a ride. It's not like we're going to be getting a seat over another pilot...as per the industry-accepted and mutually understood pecking order...and, in my opinion, we tend to make ourselves a pretty good resource in the flight deck when called upon.
Your goodwill is sincerely appreciated! We don't have too many options, so thanks a lot!
I feel I should clarify a little. We've never told them they can take a dispatcher...we just haven't ever told them they can't, either. Just like to give the guy a fighting chance with the final authority (el capitan).

As I stated above, I believe in jumpseat karma. I also believe in taking care of the folks who consider this a profession and not just a job. Plus, I love that killer overnight shipping discount. I use the hell out of it when I don't want to drag things around in my carry-on while traveling.
That is awesome! I wish we could "encourage" the crew to allow the jumpseater. Our FOM specifies the jumpseater must be in CASS. It's a mute point if they are not in CASS.

I have had good experiences with United, SkyWest, Hawaiian and especially Southwest. Admittedly I have had some of my worse experiences with my own company.
I think we're headed toward the whole CASS requirement thing, as well...so I guess the days of subtle nudging to err on the side of the jumpseater for a ride in back may be at an end.

It almost seems like "bad experiences with my own company's pilots" always seems to be at the top of dispatch jumpseat complaints. OAL's treat me great...more than one of my own crews have thrown me a magazine and told me to keep my mouth shut.

Last edited:
I am, and unfortunately FedEx doesn't allow anyone to jumpseat except their own pilots, dispatchers, maintenance, & offline pilots. I really, really wish that would change to include offline dispatchers. Our dx management wants it changed, but it's the Flight Department that holds the strings and is blocking that from happening.

FedEx dispatchers aren't in CASS, and our ability to js is strictly limited to whether or not the CA of whatever flight we're hoping to get on, will let us ride in back. (When they do, I always offer cookies or something like that, and my SINCERE thanks!)

Getting a discount shipping cardboard is nice, but I really wish we had some recip agreements to offer.
Hmm interesting. I would have sworn when I was at XJ the FOM said we had a recip agreement with FedEx. But I could be wrong, the last time I looked at the recip list was in Aug.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back