Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

lj1313

Hey Folks-

Just a quick question. I know that DXers get to jumpseat in their carrier. But what about other carriers? Are they unlimited jumpseats rides? Kinkd of like for pilots?

And I hate to admit it, but when I was still flying I never looked at a jumpseating DXer's company ID. Does it say DISPATCHER or CREW? Does that make it difficult to go through TSA checkpoints to get to a gate if jumpseating or commuting?

I am considering a switch (now that Im displaced out of the cockpit) to SOCC as a dispatcher.

THANKS!

LJ

Thanks

Generally, dispatchers are able to jumppseat on all of the other carriers that the pilot group has agreements with. Two big exceptions are FEDEX and Northwest, they have NEVER allowed offline jumpseaters.

I have never had a problem getting thru security at any airport that I have jumpseated out of. I always head for the crew line.

Just be sure that you are put in CASS.

Northwest has allowed SKW DXers for almost 2 years now. American has been our big "No-No", which sucks for this native North Texan. Even when we thought we were making progress, we were...from what I understand...nixed by the APA's lack of support for offline dispatch jumpseaters (or maybe it's just non-union offline 'spatchers).

Just remember where you are in the pecking order. It typically goes: Company pilot, Company Dispatcher, OAL Pilot, OAL Dispatcher...so, you'll be below other pilots. I'm in CASS and have only been denied a jumpseat once when there was a seat available up front...strictly because, as the captain said "I'm not taking no damn dispatcher" (Thanks!, US Airways Easties). Most OAL crews have been excellent to me. I can't say enough great things about Frontier crews...they're really great people. They, as do many other OAL crews, often treat us better than our own pilots do.

As for the security checkpoints...funny story: I used to get hassled when trying to go through the TSA crew line (our badges have "Dispatcher" in small letters, not that they know what that is) until I bought my PNT Stealth rollaboard. I haven't been hassled since...I assume because they see pilots with those bags all day.

As far as being a pilot making the change to DX, my biggest recommendation is that you have to leave the "pilot mentality" at home. There's absolutely nothing wrong with that when you're flying the plane, but OCC gigs require a "big picture" mentality.

Best of luck...this gig ain't for everyone.

THanks for the responses!
ANd the first thing I am loosing is the attitude! I hope anyway!

ha!

LJ

Last edited:
Walter... when you jumpseat... do you being In and Out for the pilots or do you just eat your own in the jumpseat during the flight?

Just askin'

Walter... when you jumpseat... do you being In and Out for the pilots or do you just eat your own in the jumpseat during the flight?

Just askin'
Rez, ya smartarse. I haven't had In-N-Out in months. Ate at the new Five Guys once. Been cutting back, I told ya. Not that it's doing me much good.

If you REALLY want to know (I'm aware you don't, but I'll share anyway)...

I can honestly say...if it's company, I ask dispatch to send an ACARS message to the inbound crew and ask if anyone wants anything from whatever restaurant/coffee joint is nearby in the terminal.

If it's OAL and the crew is awaiting the aircraft, I always introduce myself, request the captain's permission if the jumpseat is available, and ask if anyone would like a coffee. If not a crew swap, I typically pick up a small variety of chocolate bars/candies or a little bag of Godiva/Ghirardelli choclates from the newsstand...usually enough that the entire flight crew can have some and hand them to the FA at the door. My biggest chocolate bar "bill" was when I hitched on Frontier to Costa Rica. It was about twenty bucks (each crewmember and the gate agent got one)...but I figure that's a small price to pay for the generosity of a ride down to my favorite place on the planet and enough to leave some level of impression that we're not all a bunch of freeloading paper pushers...or at least that we're good people behind the paper pushing.

I truly believe in jumpseat/non-rev karma. I believe when you're cordial, respectful, and understanding of the tough situations flight crews and gate agents face...good things will come to you when you really need to get that ride home. I try take the jumpseat if it will get one more non-rev on the flight...a ride is a ride, even if that means 4 hours on a B752 jumpseat to get that couple on a buddy pass down to Vegas instead of stuck at ATL.

Sorry for the diatribe; you DID ask, though. It's just one of the few things I believe in. Maybe I'm just a goody two-shoes...I just like to do my part to protect the privelege of jumpseating for DXer's and help change some of the preconceived notions that we're all a bunch of clueless a-holes.

Last edited:
I'm also a big believer of jumpseat karma; when I was commuting to PHX, at our gate at ORD there was a Starbucks right across the concourse; I would come on the plane (the captain had already signed off on my j/s form when the agent took it to him - pre-CASS) with 3 frappucinos. Even if a flight crewmember didnt want one, I was always sure one of the F/As would.

Was never denied the actual, which was more comfy then a seat in the back, since F and the aisles were always full.

Doug,

You mentioned that OAL j/s was unlimited except for NW and FX. I've flown FX many a times, no problems. NW was a hassle at times due to a fact that one of our dispatchers (not recently, many years ago) bumped a deadheading NW pilot off a flight. The Dxer was first in line and the gate agent chose the jumpseater based on the first come first serve mantra. The dxer had his form signed and the NW captain allowed him to go. However, the deadheading pilot filed a grievance with ALPA and TWU (representing NW dxers) banned RD from flying flight deck jumpseat. That'll all change come January with the new single certificate with Delta. Delta is one of the best carriers to jump on.

Where I work, our jumpseat agreement specifically says NO JUMPSEATERS for FDX and NWA. OO used to be the same way, as is QX.

We used to have a guy that worked here that jumped almost weekly on AA to Colombia. He never had a problem.

Latest resources

Back