• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

DX J/S ver Pass Riding Process

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Whoa, I'm not THAT patient. I've been here 7 years, the pay freeze was only for the last 3-4.

J/S mumbo jumbo

It does seem a little hit or miss. I flew Comair the other day and outbound the capt invited me to ride up front and on the way back they said cabin only. Not sure about other FOM's but ours specifically says Cabin only but ultimately.. Capt rules..

Will post our rules and regs after I clarrify a couple of things..

Midnight Brit
Coming to ACARS 4 nights a week

There's many rules out there and it's always changing, and will continue to change. -Bottom line- ... online is easier than offline. Remember your basically hitch-hiking.

Oh, and sometimes a gate agent with a bad attitude can spoil everything. Even with room in the back jumpseating offline they'll bump ya just to avoid a delay. Heck a buddy of mine got denied on his 5hr recurrent training all because of a pilot wearing his uniform to non-rev.

I guess what I'm saying is your screwed if the gate agent doesn't know the rules.

exactlywrong said:
There's many rules out there and it's always changing, and will continue to change. -Bottom line- ... online is easier than offline. Remember your basically hitch-hiking.

Oh, and sometimes a gate agent with a bad attitude can spoil everything. Even with room in the back jumpseating offline they'll bump ya just to avoid a delay. Heck a buddy of mine got denied on his 5hr recurrent training all because of a pilot wearing his uniform to non-rev.

I guess what I'm saying is your screwed if the gate agent doesn't know the rules.

Yeap, they really need a better training program when it come to dispatchers...whe I was with the AL FAmily...(HA) I was told many times by DAL agents that I was not allowed to j/s...a call to the SOC usually fixed it, if there was time..but it usually caused quite a tiff...better to avoid this and just make a comment "Nicely" to the local supervisor so the next time that agent remembers..

Best thing is to catch the Fligh Crew before they get on..they will usualy help you out...As to the FAM ride or recurrent, I did not think they could bump you off since your on a FAA mandated trip, usually you are lised on the release as well as an additional crew member.......but of course nothing trumps the captain......and I would never make any kind of stink with them...just move along with a BIG SMILE....see ya..

Best thing is to catch the Fligh Crew before they get on..they will usualy help you out...As to the FAM ride or recurrent, I did not think they could bump you off since your on a FAA mandated trip, usually you are lised on the release as well as an additional crew member.......but of course nothing trumps the captain......and I would never make any kind of stink with them...just move along with a BIG SMILE....see ya..

Not where I work, we go SPACE AVAILABLE, and it totally sucks!!!

Flightdeck observation. This is somewhat of a gray area here at OO. Pilots trump Dispatchers - usually. Unless the Dispatcher falls under the category of 'on company business'. But if both the Pilot and Dispatcher are on company business then it is back to Pilots trump Dispatchers.

Newhire pilots are required to 'observe' 5 flights. BUT they do them on their own time. And I don't think they get paid. NON-ASSIGNED FLIGHTS & NON-PAID. So is that under the definition of 'on company business'?

Dispatchers are required to 'observe' 5 hours. BUT we have to do them on our own time. We ARE paid. NON-ASSIGNED FLIGHTS but PAID. So is that under the definition of 'on company business'?

If I know one of our Dispatchers are out doing OBSERVATION time - I don't have a problem putting their names on the releases with the crew. AND I'll call up the stations and alert them that that Dispatcher WILL be riding in the flight deck on 'company business'. Some of the other dispatchers haven't been around long enough to feel comfortable telling stations that information.

But if you're out there in the system and you're not in contact with whoever is running the releases for the flights you are going on, you're on your own. And you should be on your own if you're not checking in with Dispatch. I mean, hey, this is work. Act like you belong. Be polite - but you should never have to say "Yes Massa. Thank you Massa. May I have another, Massa."

I believe someone is working on the verbage in our jumpseat priorities - but not positive.

OFFline jumpseating I haven't done much of in the past couple years so I don't have a whole lot to say about it. The only problem I've ever had was a QXE pilot was just an __________. I've jumpseated on QXE many times - but just that one...

ALW to SEA couple years ago - I was cleared by gate agent (friend of mine), got on board and passed up the paperwork and ID to the captain - got the oaky go have a seat in back. Sat down in the back, (this is all after everyone else has boarded) and phone rings. It's my buddy at the gate. Says the captain is pissed that they allowed a Dispatcher to board his flight. I'm saying why doesn't he deny me then - but door closes and we taxi out.

After we get in the air the FA comes back and says that the Captain wants to talk to me when we get to SEA. We get to SEA and I am the last pax on the plane helping to straighten up the cabin and I see the Captain run off the plane. So I get up to the flight deck and check in with the FO to see what's up, and he says to never mind, the CA was pissed about nothing.

Once I get in the terminal I get on the cell back to my buddy in ALW and he filled me in on the situation. Apparently CA got on radio to Station Manager, verified OO Dispatchers could jumpseat. Didn't believe him. So got on Selcal to QX Dispatch and got the same info.

Like I've said, I've jumped on QX many times and have had nothing but GOOD - except for that one time...

Alaska in SFO once: Cleared at the gate by the agent, information called down the jetway to the CA. Denied. Agent says, "Hang on a moment I'll be right back" and runs down the jetway. CA actually came up the jetway to appologize to me, said "Sorry, didn't realize Dispatchers could jumpseat - welcome aboard."

My stories about Jumpseating

Well let me tell you about my jumpseating stories

I have had 2 bad experiences in my 2 years of dispatching one was on AE (American Eagle)
and the other on Skywest

AE: I was trying to jumpseat on AE out of ORD and I showed the gate agent all of my credentials
and she gave me the form as well as a seat on the airplane. I was all settled in my seat and I get paged over the PA. The pilot wants to see me, now granted I have flown on AE before, this is the first time this has ever happened to me. So I go up front and I guess that the Capt was doing a checkride. So they looked up in the regs and I guess that other 121 dispatchers can't ride on AE only pilots. So I got kicked off....thanks AE....but there own dispatchers cant even ride up front w/o paying, according to (will dispatch for food). And to make matters worse someone from AE dispatch calls my boss 2 days later and says that I tried to jumpseat on AE. My boss pulls me in the office and just says don't worry about it try again if you need to.

Skywest: I was attempting to jumpseat out of CVG to ORD at 6am and skywest was operating for UA on this flight, otherwise I could have just used my pass card. So I go up to the gate and the agent says that I might not be able to go since OH is not in the CASS system, but I can try.
So I get down to the gate and I am the last one to board after they called over to OH to verify that I was a DX. So I approach the door to the aircraft with Id's out and the F/A says that I don't need to show that to the pilot I can have a seat. Ok I know that I am supposed to show the pilot first I am in a sense asking permission to ride his plane, but I am riding for free so I sit down. A few minutes later the F/A comes back and says that she needs my id. I tried to do that before. So she takes my ID and goes up front and then comes back and says after the flight that the Capt wants to see me. So the plane lands at ORD and I go up there and the Capt says that I should have introduced my self, I said I tried, he says well I would have let you ride up here.

What a story but that is the only problems I have had

Your problem in CVG wasn't because of SkyWest, itwas due to the gate agent. In cities where UA handles us, I have hard time getting thr jumpseat ON MY OWN AIRLINE!! TUS comes to mind.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back