DW is mad at Jetblue

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

InclusiveScope

With all the problems in ALPA, Duane is stuck in the past. He is waisting time trying to defend the old way of doing things. This JetBlue plan makes sense. Why are we so focused on the 8 hours of flight? Duty time and rest are far more important than hours flown. In my opinion, a 12 hour duty day with 9 hours flown that returns me back to my home time zone, is far better than a 16 hour duty day with 8 hours of flying. Once again ALPA can't think outside the box.

Here is the "urgent message" sent out by our fearless leader. I think this is more about hurting Jetblue than anything else.

TO ALL MEMBERS OF THE ALPA BOARD OF DIRECTORS:

Jet Blue Airlines is in the process of preparing to seek an exception from the 8-Hour Flight and Duty Time Regulation in order to perform transcontinental turnarounds. I am enclosing the communication from Jet Blue's Chief Pilot,
Peter Russo, which will be self-explanatory.

I have personally communicated in the strongest possible terms to the FAA how vigorously ALPA will oppose the granting of this exemption and all of the "copycat" exemption requests that will surely follow for competitive reasons.

The inadequacy of the current Flight and Duty Time limitations are well known to all, especially as to duty day limits. For nearly 10 years the FAA has promised Congress an NPRM to address all these scientifically proven shortcomings - yet
as of the end of the first quarter of 2005, no NPRM is in sight or even discussed. To allow Jet Blue or any airline to "cherry pick" the rules by exemption will not be tolerated.

Duane E. Woerth
President

Just out of curiousity, do you have access to the letter dw is referring to?

Dizel8 said:
Just out of curiousity, do you have access to the letter dw is referring to?

Yes I do. It is an Adobe document. PM me and I will send you or anyone else who wants one a copy. I've read it and it makes sense to me.

Jet Blue Airlines is in the process of preparing to seek an exception from the 8-Hour Flight and Duty Time Regulation in order to perform transcontinental turnarounds. I am enclosing the communication from Jet Blue's Chief Pilot,
Peter Russo, which will be self-explanatory[/HTML]

Another Ground Breaking industry leading idea from OUR friends at JB.....What's next....SINGLE PILOT cockpit exeption????

Last edited:
Well, if that means I never have to fly with you, I'll go for it!

I kid, I kid:)

Problem is when you open Pandora's box and change duty times, all he11 can break loose when flight managers start optimizing scheds based on new rules.

JB might just send you to SEA and back...piece of cake you say... Well, you can bet FDX and UPS managers, along with every other competitive company, will exploit new rules with ZERO regard to pilot's health, wellness, or safety. I honestly believe your managers might not...but when you mess with LAWS designed to protect the rest of us you can create some real issues.

I'm a JB fan...but I'm 100% ALPA on this one. Cleaning jets? Cool...builds teamwork and esprit for some. I have no problem. If you don't like it, don't join JB. On the other hand, changing LAWS will ripple down to the rest of us.

Respectfully....an "optimizer" hater....

AlbieF15 said:
Problem is when you open Pandora's box and change duty times, all he11 can break loose when flight managers start optimizing scheds based on new rules.

JB might just send you to SEA and back...piece of cake you say... Well, you can bet FDX and UPS managers, along with every other competitive company, will exploit new rules with ZERO regard to pilot's health, wellness, or safety. I honestly believe your managers might not...but when you mess with LAWS designed to protect the rest of us you can create some real issues.

I'm a JB fan...but I'm 100% ALPA on this one. Cleaning jets? Cool...builds teamwork and esprit for some. I have no problem. If you don't like it, don't join JB. On the other hand, changing LAWS will ripple down to the rest of us.

Respectfully....an "optimizer" hater....

Albie,
This isn't a change to the duty time, rather it is a change to the flight time. If it comes with a lower duty day, what is the problem. For example, what if you allowed 9 hours with a 12 hour duty time? Sounds like a win win to me.

"On the other hand, changing LAWS will ripple down to the rest of us."

Don't remember DW seeking my input on the age 60 rule, but be that as it may, while I think the research is worthwhile and may be educational, at present time, I cannot say I am in favor of making these changes.

It would be much better, to get the FAA to convene airlines and pilots to try and come up with a solution to scheduling practices. After all, CDOs/Hi speeds/stand ups etc while legal is perhaps not the safest way to go nor is say 9 legs a day in congested airspace.

Ask anyone how they feel after a 7:30 blocked day with 10 hours of duty and 7 legs. EXHAUSTED. Now add another out and back on top of that or another leg OUCH. PLus imagine if the last leg is an approach to minimums with a 30 knot cross-wind. Us regional pilots would be destroyed if this happens.

ilinipilot said:
Ask anyone how they feel after a 7:30 blocked day with 10 hours of duty and 7 legs. EXHAUSTED. Now add another out and back on top of that or another leg OUCH. PLus imagine if the last leg is an approach to minimums with a 30 knot cross-wind. Us regional pilots would be destroyed if this happens.

This "new" limit wouldn't apply in the situation you describe. It would only be for 2 leg transcons. I would not support it for a "regional" type operation. However it makes sense for the transcons. If it came with a 2 leg limit and a reduced duty day limit, would you support it?

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back