Dumb question

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

1900cpt

Do birds fly IFR?? If so, how do they navigate and make the approach to landing?

I know, its a dumb question, but im curious.

1900cpt

I've heard that most seagulls are now equipped for Cat II approaches, not sure if the Hawks have received certification for the same yet. Sparrows are VFR only, hope this helps.

Have you ever wondered also how Geese fly so high for such long periods of time? I knew they had their high altitude sign off, but I didn't ever think they were O2 equipted...

Britpilot said:
I've heard that most seagulls are now equipped for Cat II approaches, not sure if the Hawks have received certification for the same yet. Sparrows are VFR only, hope this helps.

ROTFL!! :D

I know at least geese are IFR equipped because I've seen a flock of them above a solid cloud deck. I've heard stories from pilots who had bird strikes in IMC too.

I have also always wondered about this. I suppose that whan you're flying yourself, you have more feeling which way is up. Just like you don't get vertigo while running through fog.
I saw a show on discovery once speculating that migratory birds can sense the Earths magnetic field for direction and that they can see polarized light from the sun to guide them.

All I do know is that they're a lot better at flying than we are.

It is also amazing how they can migrate all that way and know where they are going. How about fish that migrate back to where they were born to spawn....pretty amazing.

I know this is not aviation related, but still pretty interesting. I have also heard about geese in the flight levels. I wonder how long it takes them to climb/fly up there.

HHMMMMM...what kind of TAS do they have?:p

1900cpt

I don't think birds fly IFR because I never see any flying when it's IMC. I have known a few birds who have instrument ratings who shouldn't, and I've known a couple of strange ducks who work for the FAA.

FlyChicaga said:
About geese, this is kinda interesting. The reason they fly in the V-formations like they do is to provide a cushion of air for the goose behind. They fly huge distances by adjusting who is in the lead. The lead bird is flying on "full power" if you will, and the ones behind ride on it, and pass it down through the line.

It's an awesome flying analogy about teamwork. Everyone is a leader, and supports the weight of everyone else in the group.

There were actually some studies by NASA about this very phenomenon. They were exploring the opprotunity of flying airplanes in this same matter to to help reduce fuel and other operating costs. There was an excellent article about this. I will try to find it.

Ali

Also saw Jack Hanna on larry king the other day, and he had a perigrin falcon with him. He said that they designed the stealth bomber wings based on the wings of the falcon....not sure if its true.

1900cpt

Way too much time on your hands!

Don't you have to go fly Britney around or something?

How 'bout getting me a job at EJA too? Any place where you can make decent money as an FO AND have nothing better to do than come up with a question like this has got to be cool!

(No flames please. He knows who this is)

Latest resources

Back