• Start date
  • Watchers 18

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
did you forget aa587? 260+5 died in that one.

... and how much easier is it to blame a dead crew for some excessive rudder deflection that MAY have been caused by the F/O (DFR never measured WHERE the rudder input came from) rather than blaming a whole aircraft manufacturer that supplies over half of the world's fleet?

Sorry folks, with AA 587 the NTSB participated in the second biggest cover up after TWA 800.

Both major and regional airlines have screwed up big time. There is no argument there. However, the statistics DO show that a passenger is much more at risk on a regional than on a major. That's not an opinion, it's fact, simply due to the nature of regional flying for the reasons listed above. As an example, I fly MAYBE 3 legs very rarely, normally only 2 per day on the 737 Int'l out of DCA/IAD... compared to the usual 5, sometimes 6 short hops I used to do at ACA, in and out of IAD all day long in the suckiest WX, all under the "fee per departure" (read: GO GO GO!!) deal. Due to that nature, the flying risk was way higher at ACA, and it's no different today.

Disclaimer: I am NOT saying the majors have never screwed up big time, not by a long shot.

Valid point. The legacy pilot only hangs his certificates out in the breeze, as well as exposes himself and his passengers to danger 2-3 times a day.

"Regional" flying, that number is way higher. Many of the trips I'm flying now are 5-4-4-5. 18 legs in a 4 day period. That's 18 chances to screw something up/get people killed in a 4 day period. And that pales in comparison to previous turbo prop operators where they have been doing 8-10 legs a day.

Latest resources

Back