DTW last Tuesday night

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

plattsburgher

Did anybody on this board fly into Metro Tuesday night and see the big chem plant explosion on final? I was curious how close it was to final, how far off you could see it, etc.

plattsburgher said:
Did anybody on this board fly into Metro Tuesday night and see the big chem plant explosion on final? I was curious how close it was to final, how far off you could see it, etc.

I was overnighting in DTW at the Four Points Sheraton right near the airport and I could see the fire about 3 miles away out my room window. Flames had to be around 400 feet in the air at times.

I bet it looked like Halloween Eve from years past.

Jetjockey said:
Do you mean back in the olden days when druids were around, or like a couple of years ago?

looked like LA a few years back :rolleyes:

FNG24 said:
Gas will be ten bucks a gallon by friday......lol

Actually it was the plant that recycles the glycol for DTW. I'm sure the price of glycol will double as result.

Jetjockey said:

Ah yes, good old Devil's Night. The best thing the City of Detroit could invest in is a full time bulldozer to get rid of the burnt buildings.

WorldOnTime said:
Ah yes, good old Devil's Night. The best thing the City of Detroit could invest in is a full time bulldozer to get rid of the burnt buildings.

How about a fleet to bulldoze the whole city down and start over? Heh!

I was taxiing out on the west side when the explosion occured. It was a huge explosion a few miles west of the airport. I was taxiing out in JFK on 9/11 also bad things happen when I taxi.

Latest resources

Back