• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Dry sinuses make you crazy?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Besides the neilmed stuff, there's this (available at most healthfood/hippie stores): http://www.bytheplanet.com/Products/Yoga/neti/Netipot.htm

Something else that helps: humidifying your layover hotel room. I wring out a wet towel, drape it over the heater/ac unit, stick the tail of the towel in a bucket or wastebasket full of water, and run the fan continuously. It's amazing how much water it will wick up; makes a huge difference in comfort.

While flying, plain saline nasal spray is good, too. You can get that OTC anywhere.

Neti-pot

Do search for neti pot.

you can make a saline solution with warn water. It rinses the sinuses and has been used for many years in the East.

Jeff Helgeson said:
Do search for neti pot.

you can make a saline solution with warn water. It rinses the sinuses and has been used for many years in the East.

My wife uses that...works good (she says)

a few more thoughts....

NoPax said:
My wife uses that...works good (she says)

no drugs (Floenaise SP)

it goes deeper than a saline mist such as Ocean, etc.

Warm water with a little salt is easy to obtane and is inexpensive.

A palstic neti can travel in a suit case

Gulfstream 200 said:
that sinus rinse stuff works wonders IMHO.
lots of saline on long hauls and dry areas

This might be a stupid question, but dosent saline (salt) dehydrate?
I wonder if the saline in saline solution might actually cause more of a drying effect on your sinus?

Ok, ok, here is a little routine that I find helpful, however, I suspect this is going to take this thread down the trail to . . . .

I boldly continue with these two suggestions:
I believe it is helpful to rinse out the sinuses--I use warm water in the morning, or whenever (no salt). Just a handful snuffed up each nostril slowly, will do the cleaning out. Be sure you don't inhale to quickly.

The other suggestion is an ounce of prevention. I use Burt's Beeswax lip balm.
In the morning I rub a little bit on one finger and lightly brush the inside of the first nostril with it, then I switch fingers and do the second nostril. It moisturizes and helps keep the nose from getting dried out.
Be sure to not use the same finger twice!!

Have a Nice Day!

well how about if you're a nose picker like Pickin' Pete (over at ASA). With all that beeswax in there, you can't get a grip on anything good.

I did'nt say to make beeswax buggers-- I said to use an all natural emollient!

Last edited:
I can't believe I got two pages out of this! SCORE!

You know, I've tried Burt's Beeswax on my lips and got some severely chapped lips. It's just me, but I don't think I'll put that stuff up my nose...but if it works for you then go for it.

I don't know if saline dehydrates but I don't think it's a great moisturizer. It might be really good for "rinsing" but I think that's a separate problem from moisturizing.

Right now I think I'm sticking with natural oils. Petroleum jelly would probably work except I think over time you'd gunk up your sinuses and risk an infection.

At least with the oil there's no gunk to accumulate.

So on that note, let's take a deep breath.....And release. :)

No Petroleum Jelly--it is a gasoline derivative; not good for the body. I know, I know millions of teenagers use it everyday--it is also drying. Stay with products that are derived from plants. That's my last word on this.

Latest resources

Back