Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

mar

Remember this one?
I realize there are more pressing problems in the world, and perhaps I'm sharing just a little too much, but dry pressurized air really takes its toll on my sinuses.

I've tried saline spray and even KY Jelly (not the warming kind) and eventually induced a full blown sinus *infection*. Not good.

But a Capt that I recently flew with recommended a "nasal emollient" called Ponaris.

It ain't cheap. A one ounce bottle cost me $20, but it seems to do the trick.

It lists the active ingredients as: Oils of Pine, Eucalyptus, Peppermint, Cajeput and Cottonseed.

The directions recommend half a dropper-full in each nostil but that seems to be overkill. I just dab a little in each nostil before the flight and it'll last all day.

So, for whatever that's worth, there you go. Good luck.

Mar,

Give your (or a local) E.N.T. a call and ask for a box of sinus rinse. It'll run you about $10 bucks a box and the box will last you 3 or 4 months.

My sinus's got so bad I needed surgery. I use the rinse now every morning and I haven't had a sinus problem or a cold in a long while. It cleans everything out of there!!

chperplt said:
Mar,

Give your (or a local) E.N.T. a call and ask for a box of sinus rinse. It'll run you about $10 bucks a box and the box will last you 3 or 4 months.

My sinus's got so bad I needed surgery. I use the rinse now every morning and I haven't had a sinus problem or a cold in a long while. It cleans everything out of there!!

that sinus rinse stuff works wonders IMHO.
lots of saline on long hauls and dry areas (PANC/EFHK for example)
drink lots of water - lots.
clarinex helps for me also during bad allergy season

If all else fails a week on Miami Beach helps too!

dry, crappy air is the one thing I wont miss when I retire.

I'll check it out.

chperplt said:

Thanks, I'll check it out. I assume it's saline based?

chperplt said:
Mar,

I get a lot of colds anyway, think it might be worth it? I don't fly anything pressurized or at high altitudes.

http://www.neilmed.com/

How does that stuff look? ^^

mar said:
Dry sinuses make you crazy?

No, but somebody who had the plane ahead of me was wearing a cologne that made the shoulder harness fill my sinuses with the smell of a mixture of sweaty fat ass and barbershop. Cheezus Crust! It made my neck itch so bad, I couldn't wear the dang thing.

I thing the next time we sinus up a new pilot, the chief better make sure it aint another cologne wearer.

Latest resources

Back