• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

drunk united Pilot

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
However, I believe the coworker could have told the pilot it seemed he'd been drinking. The pilot could have called in sick, sat in a London hotel thinking about not drinking so much next time, and his career/life spared. Sometimes teammates step on their d!cks. Do you want to punish or help them?

Amish must be a defense attorney. Nobody actually does anything WRONG, they are just misunderstood.

Au contraire.

This guy was certainly not fit for flight according to his BAL. I'm not defending his actions at all. Although he clearly needs help if he can't abstain or adhere to bottle to throttle on the flight deck. His addiction finally cost him his job.

My point was to counter those who state he's weak and to 'pull his bootstraps up." There's more to it than mere autonomous will power. The problem is much deeper than carrying a bottle to your lips and drinking. To those who've reached such a stage, the best analogy I can give is akin to trying to resist some insatiable urge such as having to pee or not looking at a pair of natural DD cups. It's harder to resist for some and their will power can't fairly or acccurately be compared to those who lack such addictive traits.

Remember folks....

Drugs and alcohol hijack your brain. The chemical properties begin to influence your physical state (at this stage, your body has learned to compensate with the substance and now requires it to function normally) which leads to psychological manipulation in the form of actions. Actions such as rationalizing usage and behavior. Basically, your mind listens to your body. Your mind is the cohort and henchman of your body. If your body wants something (drugs, alcohol, sex - i.e., rape), it will inform your mind and your mind will create rational reasoning to execute these desires. Feelings are fleeting. Your mind and body are essentially connected through a network of neural connections which send signals to your mind to facilitate action. The drug addicts body requires the chemicals and so he now must find the drug. If one is wealthy, not a problem. If not, crime ensues. The body needs the substance so the mind convinces the person that certain actions are justified and carries out whatever is required to procure their fix.

Last edited:
It is estimated that 70% of diabetes is attributed to obestiy. Obesity is due to behavior, as is alcoholism.

Type II is generally brought on by obesity - but NOT always. Type I is with you from birth.

Society has coined the term "disease" for alcoholism, obesity, drug addiction, etc. They are not diseases, they are behaviors.

They are behaviors brought on by the disease. Different.

Multiple sclerosis = disease
Gambling = behavior
Gambling addiction = weakness

malaria = disease
smoking = behavior
addiction to nicotene = weakness

So would you say a serial rapist has a sex "disease", or a behavioral disorder?

Not to hijack the thread, but what was the final outcome of the SW pilot whom when accused of being inebriated, went to the mens room to change out of his uniform?

However, I believe the coworker could have told the pilot it seemed he'd been drinking. The pilot could have called in sick, sat in a London hotel thinking about not drinking so much next time, and his career/life spared. Sometimes teammates step on their d!cks. Do you want to punish or help them?
Maybe they did talk to him--and he refused to listen. Left them no choice.

Many US pilots are not aware of the UK’s lower limits. They have a few cold ones thinking they are OK. Now combine that lack of knowledge with the time zone change and we have a receipt for disaster. The same strategy that works for pilots laying over in the US will not work in the UK.

Time zone change? Are you kidding? I believe that most pilots, especially one that flies internationally, has a grasp of the concept of time zones. Time zones are covered on the private pilot written exam.

"receipt for disaster" I'm not going to even ask about this metaphor.

Be careful out there. We need to get the word out for US pilots flying into the UK. This is the third pilot of a major carrier busted this year flying out of Heathrow.

AA767AV8TOR

I congratulate the security at Heathrow for being on their game. I hope they catch all drunk pilots.....half of our limit or not.

Last edited:
Maybe they did talk to him--and he refused to listen. Left them no choice.

Well one of the other pilots could have called in sick and and the flight wouldn't have moved either. Then they could have called the union's HIMS rep and taken that route. Instead the crewmember involved the authorities, in country known for its kangaroo courts.

If the guy exceeded the arbitrary BAC limit established by the government then he is guilty and will be subject to their interpretation of a justice system. I just think there were other ways of keeping the flight on the ground, letting this guy dry out, and getting him help if he wants it.

I'm sure most of you just want blood. Typical.

"It is cheering to see the rats are still around..." - Eric Hoffer

Latest resources

Back