• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

drunk united Pilot

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Look... I don't agree with what this guy did and he needs to pay for his mistakes, just like the DUI guy you're talking about. But to come here and say the hell with the guy and his loss is someone's gain is cold and heartless and not necessary.

Believe it or not..... it is a sickness. I don't claim to understand it or agree with it, but it is classified as a sickness. No one in their "right mind" should be blowing anywhere near the limit of their company alcohol tolerance.... let alone be blowing over the limit set by their company, but guess why it happens? BECAUSE THEY ARE SICK!!!! get it?????

As for my buddy? I hate to say it, but he got what he deserved and he's going through the worst time in his life. It had to do with sim training and not the actual flying of the plane. Still doesn't make it right though.....

Net

Well said. Thanks to talk radio, Fox news, etc., it seems we have become a country of angry finger pointers. It's always nice to see rational comments. I sure don't know what combination of genetics, life experience or whatever leads someone to make the choices they make, but I feel for them. We have no idea what has happened in this guys life to put him in this position. It's wrong to judge him, just like it's wrong to judge someone with PTSD, if you haven't walked in his shoes you just don't know.

Last edited:
Well said. Thanks to talk radio, Fox news, etc., it seems we have become a country of angry finger pointers. It's always nice to see rational comments. I sure don't know what combination of genetics, life experience or whatever leads someone to make the choices they make, but I feel for them. We have no idea what has happened in this guys life to put him in this position. It's wrong to judge him, just like it's wrong to judge someone with PTSD, if you haven't walked in his shoes you just don't know.

Dan,
Congratulations on winning FI Idiot Post of the Year 2009. It was getting close with the year winding down and all, but you pulled it off! Congrats! I am sure the citation is still being written, but I am sure it will include the following:

1) Blaming Fox News and talk radio for pilots demanding accountability and professionalism in their field. Come to think of it, I have no idea how you tied Fox News and talk radio in this but it was brilliant!

2) Blaming genetics and life experiences for someone's (alleged) decision to step into the flight deck drunk and fly well over a hundred crew and passengers across the ocean in violation of countless laws and rules.

3) Telling other professional pilots that they need to walk in a drunk's shoes and try to fly an airliner full of passengers before they can judge his actions. Outstanding!

You are so deserving of this award. I'll bet you use this argument for rapists too. "Hey, you guys need to walk in said rapist's shoes before you can judge him and what he did! He might have had over-active hormones. He might have tried to get on 10+ dates but was turned down. What was he supposed to do?"

What about pedophiles? Drug Dealers? Money launderers or identity thieves? Do I need to walk in their shoes before I can judge their actions? I look forward to your answer but please wait until January so you can win the "FI Idiot Post of the Year 2010." I for one will vote for you!

Hey All,
Just a suggestion for Veteran's Day...leave this POS Hasan out of any conversation regarding honorable soldiers. For some, PTSD is very real and they have a very difficult time dealing with it. For Hasan, I believe he NEVER deployed! He did not have PTSD or anything like that. He was a first-rate a$$hole who shot a bunch of unarmed soldiers trying to get on with their lives and families. He signed the dotted line asking Uncle Sam to pay for his medical school which they did. Somehow is was OK for this Islamist to take the infidel's money for education but it was not OK to have to repay it like thousands of other honorable soldiers have done for years. He signed up to help soldiers not go crazy and give them hope...he was never asked to pick up a firearm and kill Taliban. I hope this POS vermin swings from the gallows.

So... you say PSTD is very real. I agree. Yet this guy could have had any number of things happen to him that could lead him to making a very bad choice, yet you have already hung him out to dry??? I knew a guy that PSTD surfaced years later and caused him horrific problems. I have no clue how this guy ended up screwing his life up so bad, either do you. I'll withhold my judgements, you obviously won't, even though you don't know what led to this guys predicament.

So... you say PSTD is very real. I agree. Yet this guy could have had any number of things happen to him that could lead him to making a very bad choice, yet you have already hung him out to dry??? I knew a guy that PSTD surfaced years later and caused him horrific problems. I have no clue how this guy ended up screwing his life up so bad, either do you. I'll withhold my judgements, you obviously won't, even though you don't know what led to this guys predicament.

I don't care what led to his predicament but you are trying to make excuses for his alleged actions. All I am saying is, IF he is guilty, then he needs to be be punished. My family could have been on that plane and he could have potentially flown it. He is a professional. He knows he cannot fly drunk or after drinking within a certain time. He knows he can call in sick. He knows he is in a profession where alcoholism does not mix with the job. He had the responsibility to get help. He had opportunities to call this off but proceeded with it and if found guilty, will pay the price. Our profession will pay the price. Sully brought us up for awhile but NWA flying over Minneapolis and Delta landing on a taxi-way did not help things in regards to our public image.

One last thing...we don't even know if he is an alcoholic. He might have just gone on a binge with some buddies and made a very bad choice in the morning. Heck, we don't even know if he is guilty.

Doesn't anyone else see the real problem????

The most startling thing, according to CNN flight was from LHR to ORD, 767 with only 124 pax..... 767 with 124 TOTAL pax...... That should scare the major airline pilots more than any other fact! Not a very green way to run an airline.
Luv

What? Are you pissed you couldn't get a real job or something? The VAST MAJORITY of us in the 121 world ARE professional and take a great deal of pride in the work we do. Grow up.

What is a "real" job anyway? Please expand on your thought.

Perfect! That should be the new slogan.

He's right. We don't crash enough airplanes. Air travel has become so routine and safe.

Thus the term bus driver.

Ahhh the apologist. It's a weakness, not a sickness. Just like nicotine, crack cocaine, meth, marijuana, Ho Ho's, Quarter Pounders, and Ben and Jerry's.
Aaaah the idiot from behind the computer. Taking a break from behind the boyfriend?

You CHOOSE it because you are WEAK.
Leukemia is a sickness.
So is being stupid. You've obviously mastered that!

Latest resources

Back