Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Skyline

Dreams,

Last night I had a vivid reoccurring dream. Every few weeks it plays like a movie while I sleep. In the dream I am on my first day of IOE at Alaska Airlines. It is a cool early morning before the sun is up, but I am warm and comfortible in my brand new leather jacket. The ramp is dark wet and shiney from the misty rain that is falling. I am accompanied by a check airman who is very nice and patient. He takes me through the preflight of a brand new 737NG. After that we climb the stairs on the jet way and enter the cabin we pass by passengers waiting to board. They are very nice and happy. I am glad to be wearing a clean and crisp well made new uniform. In the flight deck we go through all the flows and checklists. Throughout the dream I am very excited and happy. Everything goes well and is fun. The dream usually ends with the aircraft lined up for take off and the check airman giving me a supportive go ahead for power up. While dreaming I am happy and excited. I feel proud and satisfied that I made it to my goal and could look forward to a great career at my dream job. I get to sample just a little bit of what the joy must be like to really have a first day at a good company like that. Then I wake up and my sore back reminds me that I have to swing a hammer today. After being awake for a few minutes more the haze of sleep recedes and then I remember that Alaska Airlines has cut its pay and everyone is grumpy, angry and sad. And that since 911 the pax are mean and pushy. It is a great dream though. So real, I can still smell that new leather jacket.

Skyline

I think this kind of dream is worse than the ones where the airplane is spinning and you can't break the spin, or whatever. You get a little glimpse of everything going right, then wake up to the disappointment that is reality.

Just makes you want to say 'Ferk it!' and go back to bed, doesn't it? (^_^)

In the flight deck we go through all the flows and checklists. Throughout the dream I am very excited and happy. Everything goes well and is fun. The dream usually ends with the aircraft lined up for take off and the check airman giving me a supportive go ahead for power up.

You find checkrides exciting and fun, and they make you happy? Or is it just reading checklists that make you happy and excited?

You try so hard to spin things to your skewed viewpoint, in every post. Cute, dramatic, but what is your point?

Flying is an art, a job, a way of life, whatever. It is what it is, largely whatever you make it to be or accept it to be.

So you're not flying for a major airline, so you operated blindly for fifteen or twenty years, apparently missing the light of day that everybody else saw, and you're just waking up and letting everybody else know you're miserable. Who cares?

There's far more in life than flying for a major airline. If swinging a hammer is what you want, then have a ball. You use that as an apparent counterpoint to the beauty of being one of the coveted glorious top feeders (you remember...the only ones on planet Earth that aren't "flying trashmen?") as though these are the only two polar extremes available to you or anybody else.

Garbage.

If you choose to quit flying and frame houses, or tack shingles and roll tarpaper, that's your choice. Don't blame september 11 for your troubles as you perceive them to be. Don't blame the industry. It hasn't changed. It's still there, work still goes on, people still fly, the clouds are still wet.

And you're slinging a hammer.

Don't hit your thumb.

An unique individual

The thing I love about the bug is that you never know how he's gonna respond to a post. Here's another one I can't figure. How he was able to turn this guys post into a criticism of his life views is beyond me.

To say the bug dances to his own toon (loony that is) is an understatement. In fact nobody else even hears the music. Well at least his posts make sense to him I guess. Since he's the only one that cares about what he says any more.

Bug, I think you might have forgotten to take your pills again.

avbug said:
You find checkrides exciting and fun, and they make you happy? Or is it just reading checklists that make you happy and excited?

You try so hard to spin things to your skewed viewpoint, in every post. Cute, dramatic, but what is your point?

Flying is an art, a job, a way of life, whatever. It is what it is, largely whatever you make it to be or accept it to be.

So you're not flying for a major airline, so you operated blindly for fifteen or twenty years, apparently missing the light of day that everybody else saw, and you're just waking up and letting everybody else know you're miserable. Who cares?

There's far more in life than flying for a major airline. If swinging a hammer is what you want, then have a ball. You use that as an apparent counterpoint to the beauty of being one of the coveted glorious top feeders (you remember...the only ones on planet Earth that aren't "flying trashmen?") as though these are the only two polar extremes available to you or anybody else.

Garbage.

If you choose to quit flying and frame houses, or tack shingles and roll tarpaper, that's your choice. Don't blame september 11 for your troubles as you perceive them to be. Don't blame the industry. It hasn't changed. It's still there, work still goes on, people still fly, the clouds are still wet.

Don't hit your thumb.

nitrogen said:
How he was able to turn this guys post into a criticism of his life views is beyond me.
ummm because Skyline has been making a nusiance of himself for a couple of weeks, posting continually how much aviation sucks how badly his dreams have been crushed, how he's wasted the best years of his life, and has been overtly insulting anyone who does not fly for an airline (and some that do). I think he calles all non-airline pilots "garbage men" Avbug's response was not just out of the blue.

A Squared said:
I think he calles all non-airline pilots "garbage men"

Obviously has no idea who they let fly on airliners anymore. Hasn't seen 90% of the $99 round-trip crowd. I flew freight that smelled better than any of the fat, sweaty, bad-breath having, shoe-removing, burping, farting, complaining, too much carry-on luggage having, sour old bastards that sit next to me on every cursed Southwest flight.

pilotmiketx said:
Obviously has no idea who they let fly on airliners anymore. Hasn't seen 90% of the $99 round-trip crowd. I flew freight that smelled better than any of the fat, sweaty, bad-breath having, shoe-removing, burping, farting, complaining, too much carry-on luggage having, sour old bastards that sit next to me on every cursed Southwest flight.

that is, by far, the best decription of Southwest cargo I have ever heard.

100% right-on.

pilotmiketx said:

My ex-wife sit next you last week to Burbank?

Dear Bug

avbug said:

Garbage.

Don't hit your thumb.

Dear Bug,

You are my best friend here. Thanks again for coming to my rescue, however I disagree with you on a few points.

First of all this is an aviation forum and I am not to pleased with flying right now, so yea I will be a little bit of a sad sack here. Outside of this topic I am quite happy and have a growing and successful business. My family is well and I get to live in my home town.

Another point I would like to make is referred to in my original post. The industry has changed. It changed out from under me. It isn't the same anymore at all.

IOE isn't a check ride. It is flight instruction for airline pilots. The first day of IOE is the first chance you have to actually fly the plane after months of studying and training, so it is kind of fun and exciting.

And lastly most other jobs in aviation are a trail of abuse and self destruction.

Garbage men of the sky really isn't a fair comparison or title. Garbage men actually have a good job these days and are well cared for.

Great to hear from you,

Skyline

Latest resources

Back