Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Flying is an Art?

avbug said:
Flying is an art, a job, a way of life, whatever. It is what it is, largely whatever you make it to be or accept it to be.

quote]

Man I don't know what kind of fantasy world you guys live in but it must be fun. You must be a well taken care of trust fund boys. Real people have real bills to pay and families to care for. That kind of logic is completely ridiculous.

I want to accept to be well paying with at least 20 days off a month. I wish to accept it to be safe and with good benefits for me and my family. I accept myself to be the president of the universe because I am good enough, smart enough and gosh darn it, people like me.

Try being poor and staring at a $452 pay check that has to last a family of four for two weeks. It has a way of undoing that artsy talk.

Skyline

ePilot22

ePilot22

You guys just don't get my jokes. I am just kidding about that stuff. Isn't it you that has the avatar of Hunter Thompson? I do like XBox though. I am a really happy guy. I have a strong construction business a beautiful family and live a high QOL thanks to being laid off from the airlines.

I believe that I am a part of the silent majority. Currently there are over 600,000 active pilots listed with the FAA, but there could be another 600,000 or more pilots who let their medicals go. These people are the wreckage who went out there at 22 and blew a fortune to get a life that doesnt exist for most of us. These people let it all go and never picked up another flying magazine or went to another small airport. I run into guys almost daily who have a commercial pilots license and haven't flown in years. I still like aviation. That is why I frequent these forums. I miss being with pilots, but I also have a message to deliver.

Have fun. Fly your 152. Keep an eye out for a plan B.

Skyline

Life IS rough!

Skyline said:
You must be a well taken care of trust fund boys. Real people have real bills to pay and families to care for.

I'm 26, I have a little more than 400 hours tt. The biggest, fastest most complex plane I've flown, oh yeah, is the PA-44-180! I owe a little less than $20,000 (with a variable interest rate). I live in my parents basement, no gf, for obvious reasons. I work in a cube (that I share with a Riddle grad!) and don't get to see the day pass. I drive a car that burns oil like Amercians were in Iraq, the heater and wiper fluid don't work. The windshield leaks water, bad! It's out of alignment and the wheels make funny sounds as they go around. I fly the 152 x-country to build time. I'm not even sure I get paid for the work I do. My parents are not wealthy, and I'm not just saying that because my other friends parents have more money than mine. Nope, the basement I live in is attached to a huge 900sq.ft. home.

I have no fantasy about who I am and what it is I want to do (135,SPIFR,piston). I love my life, could it be better? Yeah! But this is what I have, and there's no illusion about it!

I won't own a new car, my own house, a stable relationship, even my dog isn't mine anymore. But I will get to do what only a few people ever get to do.......fly and even more than that......be PIC!

Think about the opportunity you've had, the things you've done, most people will never even leave their hometown in their life time. What about the guy that never had a choice from day one? At least be glad that you can choose to leave aviation. The poeple I've worked with (in non-aviation) never had a choice to start with. Most will never dream of anything more that what could have been or what they had been (Al Bundy comes to mind).

We all don't have silver spoons, but we must accept life for what it is!

Tom

Skyline,

I work in a pilot boneyard. I see people everyday that hold some type of certificate that will most likely will never use it again. They have huge debts and make decent money and begin to have life styles that will never allow them the first year jobs at the commuters or regionals.

It's about the dream! Does making it a job kill the dream? Sure, work is work, if it wasn't they wouldn't call it that. I hope you enjoy what you do now and if not the job, your family. To some that is the dream. A wife and kids. Home every night, dinner, the 9-5 grind. To each his own.

I'm not trying to give you a hard time, I am still optimistic about aviation and a career in it.

You are right, it is Hunter Thompson!

Take it easy, and if it's easy.......take it twice!

Tom

Skyline said:
but I haven't seen any 60 year old career flight instructors either. Enjoy your CFI job.

Thanks, I will. What I probably should have included is that is that I don't plan on instructing forever. I love it, but I'm here to build time just like everyone else. I'm not in as big of a hurry to get out as everyone else, but I'm a time builder just the same.

But hey, at least you named my ultimate goal, even if it was in a list. Hint: not bush flying, and not missionary flying. But then again, you should already know that by now.

I don't accept your analogy that everything has to be fun and satisfying however.

It's not really an analogy. And where did I ever say that everything had to be fun. Parts of life are not fun, that's just how it goes, and there are parts of my instructing job that I definitely do not enjoy. But certainly one should find their life's work to be satisfying on the whole.

A plumber who is unsticking you toilet isn't having fun.

You don't know that. There are people out there that really enjoy that kind of work. (Not that I'd need a plumber to fix something so minor.)

The poor guy who picks up your garbage every week isn't having fun either.

So am I to understand that there's no difference between flying for a living and picking up garbage? Why aren't you a garbage man, Skyline?

If I were to do exactly what I think is fun and satisfying everyday then I suppose I would sit on the couch with a 32 oz bottle of King Cobra malt liquor and play XBox.

And I would ski, bike, and fly. Oh wait, I already do that.

Being a career CFI is an unrealistic asperation. It dosent pay a livible wage.

I agree to a point, which is why that is not my ultimate goal. However, I'm sure there are ways that it could be accomplished if that is what one desires. My particular instructing job pays a livable wage for this stage in my life (also health insurance, paid vacation, sick days, personal days, free grad school tuition, and 401k matching.) I have plans to move on eventually, but this is good for now.

Perhaps you are financially independent. (you must be) Well that is great !!

Yeah, that would be great. But I doubt my life would be that different if I was.

Maybe you can also hand out blankets to the poor on your way home from work.

So what if I did? Is that some sort of crime?

However you can't deny that along with being low pay it is also dangerious.

What do you reccomend? Curling up in the fetal position and never leaving your house? Your drive to work is dangerous, yet you still do it. Your construction job is dangerous, yet you persist! Life is inescapably risky. You are either delusional or in denial if you think that you can isolate yourself from hazard. Risk is best assumed rationally and incrementally.

(See "Red Mosquito" from Pearl Jam)

I think it was Tony Robbins who said that all progress is made through dissatisfaction.

I think that may be partially true, although it is a narrow mind indeed that believes dissatisfaction and happiness are mutually exclusive. Who's Tony Robbins?

-Goose

Last edited:
ePilot22

ePilot22,

I hear what you have said and accept what you are saying. I just think back to when I was young and remember all the sacrifice and efforts that I expelled, and wonder "what if I would have put those efforts into another direction'? What if I were to have bought a house or gas station with the money I blew on training.

I spent most of my 20's living in a variety of bad places to keep the dream alive. Most of my 26th year was spent living in the back of my truck while I flight instructed in my own Cessna 150. What a huge wasted effort. I struggled and sacrificed a great deal for a long long time. Today I just shake my head. What if I were to have spent that energy at medical school? Just think where I could have been by now. Sometimes I think that aviation is like a bad drug addiction it has a way of sucking people in and robs you of your money and chances at a real life and career. We get lost in a selfish avgas high. Only focused on the dream to the expense of almost everything else. Why?

I lost my last flying job over two years ago. The experience has been like waking up from a deep sleep. I build houses now and without much effort have been doing better than during the last 10 years of flying combined. My family is happy and have good schools to got to. We have friends and family around us again. During my almost 20 year career I had over 12 different employers and moved on average every 6 months. We lived in some bad places just to keep my hopeless dreams going. At my age I have to accept defeat. There just are not enough years left to pull my career out of the dump. I still am an addict however. I love the dream. It carried me through some bad times. I miss it a lot but hate it at the same time for what it did to me and my friends. It sounds like you must work for an aviation related company. You probably have good exposure to the end game of aviation.

Maybe you should jump in all the way. Get it overwith while you are still young. Stop renting a 152 and buy a plane. A good 150 or Taylorcraft isn't that expensive. You could leave home for the big blue. That is what my friends and I did. Put all of your worldly belongings in the back of your 150 and pick a destination and go grab your own peice of the sky.

Skyline

Goose,

You are a good friend. I wish we lived closer and could have a few beers together. It would be neat to show you my Taylorcraft as she sits collecting dust. I envy your advanced degrees. They will serve you well when you give up on this aviation foolishness. There is an old aviation saying that goes "those who can get out will" with a few masters degrees you might not get to far.

Another old saying goes "out of my graduating class of pilots I am the only one still flying, the rest are all happy and sucessful"

Enjoy your time as a CFI. It soulds like you have a great deal going.

Skyline

FN FAL said:
I could see nitrious oxide or something similiar, but mace would only start a riot back there.

Yes, and by starting that riot you would raise the ratings of "Airline" to untold heights. The American Public loves a good riot.

Latest resources

Back