Dr. Strangelove

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
GogglesPisano said:
Especially how they used actors to portray astronauts getting interviewed.
It'd look funny. Imagine if in The Right Stuff they'd used file footage of the real pilots for the newsreel.

Fred Ward doesn't look like Gus Grissom...nor does Sam Shepard look like Yeager. It would've been confusing.

1. Apollo 13

2. The Great Waldo Pepper

Hands down.

"I forgot about that one MEIN FUHRER!!!!!! AAHHHH!!!!!*Chokes self*"

That was from "Dr. Strangelove: Or How I Learned To Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb", by Stanley Kubrick (who later directed "2001: A Space Odyssey").

Dr. Strangelove was about the military causing WWIII and the end of the world. It was hilarious, and it had a great cast: Peter Sellers (who played three roles, President Muffley, Group Captain Lionel Mandrake, and Dr. Strangelove), Sterling Hayden (General Jack Ripper), Keenan Wynn (Colonel "Bat" Guano), George C. Scott (General Turgidson), Slim Pickens (Colonel "King" Kong), and a very young James Earl Jones.

Last edited:
Released in 1980, The Final Countdown was a pretty cool aviation movie for a 13 y/o.

Great footage of F-14s and vintage aircraft.

1) Dr. Strangelove

2) The Great Waldo Pepper

Aviation flix

"Twelve O'Clock High." The '60s Friday night TV show spinoff was also great; too bad it's not on in reruns.

"The Right Stuff."

"No Highway in the Sky" with James Stewart was a good movie.

So was Jimmy Stewart in "Strategic Air Command."

I did like "Top Gun," but after seeing it again it wore on me a little.

I really would like to see "Tuskegee Airmen." I met one of them, Gen. Daniel "Chappie" James, at a news conference I covered many years ago.

ThomasMore said:
Dr. Strangelove was about the military causing WWIII and the end of the world.
I wouldn't say that's entirely true. It's about a guy who desides that the Commies are trying to interfere with his bodily functions, and he intends to stop them.

He just happens to be in the military... :D

Great line: "It's really something you should see, a sensation! A big plane like a FIfty-Two--barrroooom!--with jet exhaust cookin' up chickens in the barnyard, heh-heh!"

Or this one...

Ambassador: "And bring me some cigars, Havana cigars."

Admiral: "Why don't you try one of these Jamaican cigars, Ambassador, they're pretty good."

Ambassador: "Thank you no. I do not support the work of imperialist stooges."

Admiral: "Oh. Only commie stooges, huh?"

Or the last scene where slim pickens is bull ridin the nuke bomb as it's dropped from the B52... yeeeehaaaawwww!!!!

Mein Fuhrer!
:D

Kubrick is hands down my favorite director, with Clockwork Orange beign my alltime favorite movie.
Oops, sorry...aviation-flicks only...

Dang! Meant to post to the aviation-movies thread...sorry, it's early.

:rolleyes:

This is it Fellers! Nooclear combat, toe to toe with the rooskies!

Peter Sellers was originally going to play Major Kong, instead of Slim Pickins. When they found Slim Pickins, they told him to play the role straight, and he wasn't told that the film was a comedy.

As much as I respect Peter Sellers, ability (his portrayal of the President is priceless!), Slim was made for that part!

George C. Scott was awesome as well......:)

"The Battle of Britain", starring Christoper Plummer and Michael Caine. Great footage of early Mk Spitfires, Hurricanes, etc.

Latest resources

Back